Discussion Lucario Fates Collide

antonjg

Aspiring Trainer
Hey

Just wondering, will Lucario from fates collide be good. I would see it being played with 1 or 2 out at a time?
Let me know if you think it will work!

Thanks!

Lucario – Metal – HP110
Stage 1 – Evolves from Riolu

[M] Vacuum Wave: 50 damage. This attack’s damage isn’t affected by Weakness or Resistance.

[M][C] Fight Alone: 30+ damage. If you have less Pokemon in play than your opponent, this attack does 60 more damage times the difference in the number of Pokemon you and your opponent have. (So if you have one Pokemon and your opponent has six, the attack does 30 damage + (60×5) = 330 damage).

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 2

I can't see it as a good deck. Well, certainly not the most competitive one. Funky rogue nonetheless.
I can see it imposing Parallel city on itself, or temting it's opponent's with Skyfield, and most certainly utilizing heavily Target Whistle, if someone tried to make a more competitive build of that...

The problem with Lucario is that it's so obvious. If you see your opponent flip over Riolu then don't put more than 1 benched Pokemon down. To further compound the issue, there isn't any reliable way for the Lucario player to force their opponent into putting lots of Pokemon into play - Target Whistle is the obvious option but for that to work you need your opponent to have discarded some Pokemon.

Maybe Lucario decks could make use of hand disruption, such as Delinquent, + Target Whistle. However, that all sounds very clunky. The jury is out for now.

It says POKEMON not items what about robo subs and then like 1 backup riolu/lucario on the bench so you can have a backup attacker with not worrying about low damage outputs becuse robosubs! And then target whistle so you have to worry even less!

wait you need another backup attacker because if they dont discards you can't target whistle and no target whistle means no damage who could take the first few knockouts? Aegslash, m scizor, heatran?

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't be that good until Captivating Pokepuff gets printed. Then we have that and Target Whistle so our opponents Pokémon are only safe in the deck and in the prizes.

To further compound the issue, there isn't any reliable way for the Lucario player to force their opponent into putting lots of Pokemon into play.

I said this and then Captivating Pokepuff was announced - what a coincidence! I think Lucario decks could see some play once that's printed.

A couple of combos to consider:

Buddy-Buddy Rescue + Captivating Pokepuff
Delinquent + Target Whistle

I wonder what other methods there are to force Pokemon into play?

Now we just need a card that attacks for high damage when the opponent has a small bench.

It says POKEMON not items what about robo subs and then like 1 backup riolu/lucario on the bench so you can have a backup attacker with not worrying about low damage outputs becuse robosubs!

I am curious too to see how Robo Subs work with this attack. You play the Sub "as if it were a 30 HP [C] Basic Pokémon.". Which does not make it a Pokémon.. or does it? If a substitute is knocked out you can play Teammates for example, which reads "You can play this card only if 1 of your Pokémon was Knocked Out.. <snip>".

Or at least that works in the official client.. so why not with/against Lucario's attack?

A sub on your own side could protect against Lucario getting OHKOd and being your last mon. While if it works the other way, then a bench full of subs stops Lucario from damaging you. I'm interested to see how it's ruled.

@Yog

When in play, Robo Substitute counts as a Pokemon, so it's safe to say that if you had an active Lucario and a bench full of Robo Substitutes, your 'Fight Alone' attack would not be doing much damage!

When in the hand, Robo Substitute counts as an item. Therefore, you would not be able to bench your opponent's Robo Substitutes by playing Captivating Pokepuff.

I was actualy I was going to build this deck, combined with energy denial, 4 pokepuff and 4 target whistle, I think in expanded, with dowsing machine this could work. the only reason I believe this is because yveltal decks are very popular in expanded, and their benches are always full. also mega ray, and raichu bats. and against nearly all bats decks have I good bench count I think it will work.

I kind of wish it was fighting type so we could use focus sash and strong energy with it. But at the same time, that could make it a bit broken because you wouldn't even have to have that big of a difference in bench counts. I was about to say pair this with the Eeveelutions for weakness but then I realized. I guess this is really going to just be a tech, and even then will probably see very limited play at that unless it gets some big buff in a new set.

Back