Speculation New PokéBall Discussion

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Different types of PokeBalls were made throughout the generations. Up until gen 4, every gen introduced a large set of new PokeBalls. In gen 5, we only got the Dream Ball. Gen 6- no PokeBalls, but there is still hope. Especially with the PokeBall Factory. (if not.. what a waste). Do you think the next game would finally introduce new PokeBalls? What PokeBall do you wish to see ?

Equinox

Stallwart Player
I doubt they'll make any new Pokeballs, but if they do I think it'll be something reminiscent of the Net Ball (i.e. A ball that's better for catching Fire and Rock-types) or a Pokeball that perhaps works the opposite of the Dusk ball.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I'm not really sure there's much of a need for new Poke Balls aside from more gimmicky stuff like Poke Balls that work better for certain types. Between the standard balls (Poke Ball, Great Ball, Ultra Ball), Timer Balls, Dusk Balls, and Quick Balls, I can't think of anything else I'd use, those work pretty well for pretty much any situation.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I think we can get and see more type-specific Poke Balls. Like a Poke Ball for Fire-types and Electric-types for instance.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Like Bolt, I think we're pretty much left with gimmicky options at this point, but I think I would really like to see balls that work for specific types that have a cool type-related animation when you release your Pokémon from them in game. I think people who actually enjoy using different Pokéballs for their aesthetics might have fun with a system like that.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Like Bolt, I think we're pretty much left with gimmicky options at this point, but I think I would really like to see balls that work for specific types that have a cool type-related animation when you release your Pokémon from them in game. I think people who actually enjoy using different Pokéballs for their aesthetics might have fun with a system like that.

If animations are all they want they can just bring back Seals though, there's no need to make entirely new Poke Balls for that.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Presumably the balls would also have some gimmicky function, like an extra multiplier to catch that type of Pokémon or so, similar to Tails' suggestion.

Chocolate Death

I should be the Water Trial Captain now!
I'd honestly like to see a ball that increases catch rate if the pokemon is inflicted with a status (unless the Heal Ball already does that. If not, it should), as well as a new ball that increases catch rate the less you've seen the pokemon or the rarer it is. Maybe even working better if the pokemon has pokerus and/or shiny? Aside from that, I'd really only like to see a ball for starters be added. It'd just be a ball that your starter comes in that has the top and bottom colors match the type, so grass would have green, fire a red-orange, and water blue. They'd be as obtainable as a cherish ball, as in unable to pass to the babies and only found on your starter.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I'd honestly like to see a ball that increases catch rate if the pokemon is inflicted with a status (unless the Heal Ball already does that. If not, it should)

Thing is, status conditions already increase the catch rate. So having a Poke Ball that also works better when the Pokemon has a status condition is somewhat redundant.

as well as a new ball that increases catch rate the less you've seen the pokemon or the rarer it is.

So like a reverse Repeat Ball? That might actually work. The one concern I have is that might make things too easy, but considering that Game Freak likes to make things more accessible for a casual audience, that wouldn't stop them.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I feel like they should try a second attempt like with Kurt's Apricorns. Those Apricon Poke Balls were not the best, but the whole idea still has potential.

The only thing would be the new vessel for which the Poke Balls would be created from, unless they wanted to recycle the whole Apricon premise...

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
I'd like to see Balls which have an increased rate depending on any weather condition in the overworld (so a Rain, Sunny, Sandstorm or Hail Ball).
One which has an increased rate depending on whether the Pokemon is evolved or not could be interesting.
It has been said, but ones which have an increased rate for each type might be fun, but instead of having a single one for each type there could be a few types grouped together with one ball (ex. Mineral Ball which has an increased rate for Ground, Rock and Steel types)

Mitja

veteran smartass
Even if they're all 1x catchrate and nothing else, I'd still kill for a handful of new Pokeballs to be available....

Apparently it doesn't mean anything to most of you ;P but half the time I'm breeding something in the games is only necessary because I always insist on passing a visually or thematically fitting Pokeball for each Pokemon where that is humanly possible.
For some very specific Pokemon it can be especially time-consuming (like say Net-Ball Armaldo or something)

Or when SRing a legendary and then throwing PremierBalls at it for example lol..

WE NEED A BROWN BALL FFS
Desert themed or anything seriously. But don't put a Pokeball Factory into a game and make it do NOTHING x___X

Last edited: