Discussion Max Potion

Orlandito2012

Aspiring Trainer
With the release of breakpoint, many new things have surfaced and many things have returned, here I want to discuss max potion. It was a really good card last format and I think that it can still be decent in standard, but I want to know other people's opinions about it. Please post your thoughts about it here. Also this is my first discussion, so I hopes it ends up helping!

My first idea was the return of it in M Manectric decks

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it'll be pretty good, with already 2 natural partner's, Milotic and Max Elixir.
Even without these partners it can work in lots of decks that have low attacking costs and/or quick energy gain and recovery
ex: Aromatisse, Lucario/Bats, M Manectric, Bronzong Variants etc.

Personally I like to use it in Stage 2 Decks like Garchomp, Greninja, and Haxorus.

The main problem for Max Potion is competition, AZ and Super Scoop Up can do the job of full healing, works with cards like Shaymin or Hoopa and are better in a tight situation. Pokemon Center Lady and Super Potion are also less risky and have little drawbacks.

However I keep my opinion stable and I'll at least be using it.

I think it'll be pretty good, with already 2 natural partner's, Milotic and Max Elixir.
Even without these partners it can work in lots of decks that have low attacking costs and/or quick energy gain and recovery
ex: Aromatisse, Lucario/Bats, M Manectric, Bronzong Variants etc.

Personally I like to use it in Stage 2 Decks like Garchomp, Greninja, and Haxorus.

The main problem for Max Potion is competition, AZ and Super Scoop Up can do the job of full healing, works with cards like Shaymin or Hoopa and are better in a tight situation. Pokemon Center Lady and Super Potion are also less risky and have little drawbacks.

However I keep my opinion stable and I'll at least be using it.
Actually, that makes a lot of sense. Az and scoop up are better for sharing min and hoopla, but you also brought up the point that it isn't as good for the evolutions because you would have to evolve it up again.

My first idea was the return of it in M Manectric decks
I agree. At first, I didn't think that MegaMan/Garb with Max Potion was good, but then I played against it with Toad/Shaymin and I was absolutely destroyed. Then I started to test it and realized, I beat most of the decks at the time(except for Groudon and maybe LandyBats). I think that MegaMan/Garb will do well as it beats Yvetal, BatMan, Raichu, ToadBats, Giratina, and maybe Vespiquen, Night March, and Blastoise(and possibly Rayquaza and SableGarb, haven't tested yet)

With a two retreat cost on Scizor Ex and M Scizor EX in the mix, Max potion is really good in the deck. M Scizor becomes a beast on a two charge pokemon in the mix. Aegislash is really good in the deck too. I can see this deck on the competitive stage. It has good match ups, and a really reasonable matchup with Night March. I've been deck testing it in live format and it performs well. AZ works well too with the deck. Because the energy off supper scoop goes to the hand, Retreating to the discard and then using max potion alongside Bronzong/M Turbo makes it hard for the opponent to nail M Scizor EX. M Scizor sits at 220 with a psycic resistance/-20. Max potion makes it a really good counter deck.

With a two retreat cost on Scizor Ex and M Scizor EX in the mix, Max potion is really good in the deck. M Scizor becomes a beast on a two charge pokemon in the mix. Aegislash is really good in the deck too. I can see this deck on the competitive stage. It has good match ups, and a really reasonable matchup with Night March. I've been deck testing it in live format and it performs well. AZ works well too with the deck. Because the energy off supper scoop goes to the hand, Retreating to the discard and then using max potion alongside Bronzong/M Turbo makes it hard for the opponent to nail M Scizor EX. M Scizor sits at 220 with a psycic resistance/-20. Max potion makes it a really good counter deck.

I've been exploring this exact deck & it seems to work pretty well. Any thoughts on the viability of tool retriever & fighting fury belt to make M Scizor harder to take down? I couldn't find space and I'm not sure if it would work consistently enough to make the inclusion of those cards worthwhile.

I've been exploring this exact deck & it seems to work pretty well. Any thoughts on the viability of tool retriever & fighting fury belt to make M Scizor harder to take down? I couldn't find space and I'm not sure if it would work consistently enough to make the inclusion of those cards worthwhile.

I tested it a league. It is a good idea. I don't believe the ext hp is worth it. Unless your going for a strict Scizor Ex deck. If your having problems getting to the mega form faster, you could try Pokemon Fan Club and Hoopa. Pulling hoopa and bronzor out on first turn, puts the deck in a strong position.

Hope that helps.

Back