Discussion Counters to Garchomp BREAKpoint

Sabaku

Aspiring Trainer
garchomp_rh__61422.1453591549.220.290.jpg

So recently, I've been wondering about the weaknesses of the new Garchomp from BREAKpoint. I've only been using it for about 2 days now, and so far, it's been pretty amazing in a Rare Candy deck I've been using it in. Does anyone else think it has any promise? If it does, what would you suggest as a means to beat it?

I reckon Yveltal decks (especially Baby) would wall Garchomp a bit with the resistance both Yveltal and Yveltal-EX have. Garchomp would also struggle against Bats and a lot of spread decks, as they can prevent Garchomp from setting up. Toad would also be a difficult matchup.

I reckon Yveltal decks (especially Baby) would wall Garchomp a bit with the resistance both Yveltal and Yveltal-EX have. Garchomp would also struggle against Bats and a lot of spread decks, as they can prevent Garchomp from setting up. Toad would also be a difficult matchup.

Yeah, gonna have to say no to Yveltal-EX. With the release of BREAKpoint, Garchomp has also received Ground type pre-evolutions, so he can equip and hold onto Strong Energy from start to finish. All it takes is a Strong Energy + Fighting Energy for Garchomp to OHKO Yveltal-EX unless it's holding a Fighting Spirit Belt.

Yeah, gonna have to say no to Yveltal-EX. With the release of BREAKpoint, Garchomp has also received Ground type pre-evolutions, so he can equip and hold onto Strong Energy from start to finish. All it takes is a Strong Energy + Fighting Energy for Garchomp to OHKO Yveltal-EX unless it's holding a Fighting Spirit Belt.

Okay, sure, a Garchomp w/a Strong Energy + a Muscle Band can KO a Yveltal-EX after Resistence. However, you need consider a few things. Firstly, Enhanced Hammer exists to remove Special Energy and is a popular inclusion in decks including Yveltal, meaning 1-hit KOing the bird could be a struggle. Secondly, Hard Charm variants also exist, meaning you'll need a perfect combo of Strong Energy + Muscle Band + Fighting Stadium to 1-hit KO. Thirdly, Yveltal decks are most likely going to be more consistent than your deck, especially if they pull off a Gallade.

But that's not necessarily the point. Garchomp is walled by non-EX Yveltal. To 1-hit KO, Garchomp needs a Muscle Band and three Strong Energy. Furthermore, while walling, your opponent can pick off any Special Energy you accelerate using an army of Enhanced Hammer, while can also set up KOs while accelerating with Oblivion Wing.

Bees. That Grass-type Weakness means you don't have to go nearly as hard discarding everything to OHKO a Garchomp, or even a poor Gible haha. bbninjas brings up the big point with Fighting-type Resistance which is huge, meaning Turbo Assault is doing a whole lot less.

I expect to see Garchomp being used more in a Maxie's variant for access to that early-game Energy acceleration. You can do Korrina coolness with Gible and Rare Candy, but I think that's seen as subpar to Gallade BKT with an Ability that lets you get super consistent with the deck. I have to admit, the fact you don't need to rely on DCE to attack is cool and the Oblivion Wing-on-steroids attack for one Energy is nuts. I'm just not sold on it yet.

Pretty much anything Garchomp is weak to is an auto loss. Toads have always tough on evolution decks because of rare candy being an item.

garchomp_rh__61422.1453591549.220.290.jpg

So recently, I've been wondering about the weaknesses of the new Garchomp from BREAKpoint. I've only been using it for about 2 days now, and so far, it's been pretty amazing in a Rare Candy deck I've been using it in. Does anyone else think it has any promise? If it does, what would you suggest as a means to beat it?
Seismitoad/bats would be the absolute death.

Seismitoad/bats would be the absolute death.
I've seen a lot of speedy wally variants on evolution decks due to the return of toad use. I think the toad gives up too many prizes to garchomp to maintain a constant lock. Eventually, you will need to put crobat in the active to defend against bite-off and catch up on prizes. The toad is supposed to last more than one turn to be effective.

Actually with strong energy chomp will only do 160+20-20 to Yvetal ex so it comes 10 short. its why i run bands and bangels with mine

You keep assuming the Garchomp player must be aiming for OHKO's against Yvetels why would you spend so much resources doing that when you have glorious free retreat, it's not hard to set up two Garchomps, then with focus sash and max potion it wouldn't be hard to keep just attacking, retreating, attacking, retreating, all the time setting up the previous one. Think of it more like a donphan or sky return combo. They have to dedicate xerosic to counter it. But you can win the prize trade against a yvetal deck pretty easily with this. I'm not saying all garchomp decks should be played like this, but I think against this matchup it's a strategy that turns a bad matchup into a 50/50 or slightly favourable one.

A lot of people say oh, this can't one shot this, or this is too easy to disrupt from getting one hits. Garchomp shouldn't be about trying to one hit everything all the time. There are plenty of times you can just win by being a bit clever and taking things slower.

Lock decks, Delinquent will hurt Maxie's variants, Wailord beats this deck. I think Garchomp can be dealt with easily even Mega Manectric can deal with it through Flash Energy.

Delinquent's gonna be good against any Maxie's or Archie's deck. Red Card+Delinquent means only 1 card in your hand. Sure, you might have your opponent use Maxie's or Archie's but the chances are unlikely. And if they do pull it off, they would have likely already been able to. A 4 card hand reduced to 1 on T1 will really hurt them.

I think Garchomp can be dealt with easily even Mega Manectric can deal with it through Flash Energy.

Flash energy won't be reliable against Garchomp, most if not all variants will run a enhanced hammer to snipe special energy via Korrina. Plus Xerosic is still one of the strongest one off supporters in the game. And of course most variants only run one maybe two flash energy as they can't be used by turbo bolt.

Back