Collecting Hardest Set to Complete

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer
Title says it all. Which TCG set, English or Japanese, do you think is the hardest to complete?

Thought it could be a fun discussion ;) Personally I've found the English E-Series sets (Expedition, Aquapolis and Skyridge) to be the hardest ones to complete, with all holos and crystals included.

Electricbluewolf

Ditto Hoarder
Hmmm I suppose it depends on budget. I see people try to collect every VS set and it's very hard to-the older cards even though many are around, the rarer ones people don't want to let go of.
English probably (Shadowless) 1st Edition Base Set-every card. The holos go for £15+ and the Charizard, well that's another story.

Chrswrites

Aspiring Trainer
I collect cards since the release of base set, but when Aquapolis was released collecting wasn't fun anymore.
The set was very hard to complete and Skyridge - which came too soon after Aquapolis - was even harder to complete. It took me a lot of money and I bought two boxes and more. Then Nintendo started with Ex: Ruby & Sapphire and shortly thereafter came Sandstorm...It was all too much. So I stopped collecting...
I skipped Gen 3 and most of Gen 4...

I picked it up with the release Supreme Victors, stopped when Unleashed came out.
Picked it up again with Plasma Blast and now I'm still collecting

The hardest sets to complete are:
- Ex:Team Rocket Returns
- Ex:Deoxys
- Ex:Delta Species

Purrloin

I agree that the e-Series sets are very hard to collect. But I think the hardest is the Legendary Collection. The normal setlist is hard enough to complete, but if you also want to have the full set of its Reverses in good condition, well that's just darn near impossible unless you have a lot of cash available. I've seen single boosters of LC go for anywhere between $50 for a loose (likely weighed) pack, to over a hundred for a blister.

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer
The hardest sets to complete are:
- Ex:Team Rocket Returns
- Ex:Deoxys
- Ex:Delta Species

There's not really any cards in those sets I would find too hard to obtain, with the exception of the Gold Star Rayquaza from EX: Deoxys. Love Team Rocket Returns though, one of my favorite sets ;)

I agree that the e-Series sets are very hard to collect. But I think the hardest is the Legendary Collection. The normal setlist is hard enough to complete, but if you also want to have the full set of its Reverses in good condition, well that's just darn near impossible unless you have a lot of cash available. I've seen single boosters of LC go for anywhere between $50 for a loose (likely weighed) pack, to over a hundred for a blister.

I totally forgot about Legendary Collection. If there's something I won't even try to complete it's got to be that set. Haven't seen some of those reverse cards in good condition in years.

I actually have a Legendary Collection booster box. Purchased it along with a Base 2 box a long time ago, even before I joined Pokebeach, so I'd guess around 2011/2012...? I still have nightmares about the Skyridge box I opened from time to time, so I definitely won't open it :oops:

Chrswrites

Aspiring Trainer
I have LC complete and 60% of the reverses.
The gold stars, and ex cards from TRR are a bitch to collect o

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer
I have LC complete and 60% of the reverses.
The gold stars, and ex cards from TRR are a bitch to collect o

I can agree if we're talking about non-PSA graded mint gold stars, they can be a hassle to get your hands on. The only EX from TRR I've had "trouble" with is Rocket's Mewtwo EX. Can be hard to find a decent looking one for a great price, as most are PSA graded and cost more than I'd ever pay for one :p

DPL

Aspiring Trainer
I think one of the hardest sets to collect is the UK Unlimited Base Set only released in the UK and since the cards look exactly the same as the English Base Set apart from a slightly different copyright many people don't know it exists.