Discussion Is Skyla as good as it seems?

spikez30043

Aspiring Trainer
Does anyone play Skyla? In my current deck I am debating using Jirachi EX. You can level ball it to grab any supporter (hence the Skyla question) and with Skyla I can grab any item (spirit link) to use that turn. Is this too much to do?

Personally I like running Skyla as a 1-of so that I have the option of searching for that one game-changing Switch/Rare Candy/Whatever. Even without Jirachi, you can re-use it with VS Seeker.

With all the one ofs in decks now, at least 2 skyla is needed IMO. for decks that need pieces for combos, its a must because with the new time puzzle card, being able to retrieve things like Max Potions and Vs Seekers makes it super strong.

Yeah Skyla is actually really good right now. Especially with Night March with Puzzle of Time, or in expanded with Dark Patch with Yveltal-EX.

I think I'd rather just draw into things with a Juniper, but I can see turns where you really only need to hit one thing, so being able to retrieve your single copy of Skyla from the discard pile with VS Seeker would be a nice option to have.

In decks that rely heavily on certain (mainly item) cards, Skyla may be a good 1-of. Skyla just won't be a 4-of staple in every deck, instead Trainer's Mail in standard should be at least a 2-of in most decks. Skyla could see play in a few decks, similar to fisherman where fisherman is a staple in a few decks (mainly Greninja based). The most Skyla I think I will ever see is in VirGen decks.

update: used Skyla today and she did a lot for me with Jirachi EX. I used VS seeker to get her at least twice every game.

Last edited:
I don't use it too often but I always have it as a one-of in all decks I build. I just love having t he option to get the game changing card I need, guaranteed!

I think it really depends on the deck. I think discard decks are more opt for Juniper or Sycamore. Where as evolution decks opt for skyla, which works well.

Skyla can be a slow play, though. Best once you've already completed your setup to buff an attack or recover quickly from a KO, or to grab that card for next turn when you've already established board control. As a setup card I think it falls short allowing you to grab only one clutch card when perhaps you need more than one to grab hold of the situation. It can be slow because it only gets that one card that advances a single aspect of your game instead of refreshing your hand and giving you more diverse options.
That being said, I would definitely run 1 or 2 in many decks. Misty's Determination is kind of nice, being able to get those cards Skyla can't like a special energy or pokemon. Teammates is also more powerful but more situational. Korrina obviously functions very well for fighting decks. But Computer Search is clearly the winner in terms of outrageously good search cards.

Personal preference really. Plus, how much risk are you willing to take? If you're willing to run Jirachi-EX, you're running the risk of putting another low HP EX on the table for an easy OHKO and 2 prize cards. That is why I'd much rather run a single skyla. But to the point of running skyla, I've only found myself in a few situations in which I needed her. There was a point in one game she was my only supporter for a turn so I played her with really nothing in mind of what I wanted/needed out of my deck. So I basically used her to setup my next turn knowing I was going to get KO'd so I grabbed a teammates. I almost always run 1 skyla in every deck, but I'd say I use her about 50% of the time anymore.

I usually use her as a 1-of. Skyla > Ultra Ball > Hoopa EX is a great string even for turn one - if you run Shaymins you even get an extra bit of draw power. She's also good for grabbing that errant Spirit Link, Super Rod, Rare Candy etc.

So I think she's a versatile card, it's just usually better to go for Sycamore if you're lacking a lot of resources and just need to chance it.

After using her in my deck Ive learned that I really like using her. I have used Jirachi EX to search for her and than used to Skyla to grab an item card. She has been great at helping thin out my deck and grab a mega turbo when I really need it. Ive have used it every game, and in a majority of my games I have used VS Seeker to use it over and over. She has become a staple to make my deck run smoothly so much so Im considering running 2.

Back