Discussion Disappointed with Fighting Fury Belt

Credits

Thundurus from Downundurus
If ever the game wanted to kill off stage 1 and 2's, they are, and a slow slow death at that. It is a shame that Fighting Fury Band can only be used on Basics because it should have been any Pokemon! Giving stage Pokemon a chance to live would have been nice, but nooooooo let's make EX's even stronger!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I feel like Fighting Fury Band is actually overhyped. Many Pokemon will rely on Muscle Band to get the 1-hit KOs that they need, the loss of HP through discarding an attached Fighting Fury Belt can lead to very tricky situations.

poke4trade

Raising Ash
@bbninjas Thank You.

The places where I've seen fighting fury belt have worked are on EX pokemon that don't have the OHKO power. Oh-ho Ex, Palkia EX, Manetric EX, and Gangar EX. Their the pokemon that just sort say, "Logistically, I can't knock you out, but I can get you the next round." Because other pokemon like Yveltal EX, Lugia EX, Glallie Ex, Chizard EX pumkaboo, and joltik really do have knockout power with the muscle band at 170dmg + it limits their power, or forces them to put more combinations into play to get it (hypnotixic laser, Virbank, Reverse Valley...) It's just to easy to attach muscle band and be done with it.

malamarch

Aspiring Trainer
@bbninjas Thank You.

The places where I've seen fighting fury belt have worked are on EX pokemon that don't have the OHKO power. Oh-ho Ex, Palkia EX, Manetric EX, and Gangar EX. Their the pokemon that just sort say, "Logistically, I can't knock you out, but I can get you the next round." Because other pokemon like Yveltal EX, Lugia EX, Glallie Ex, Chizard EX pumkaboo, and joltik really do have knockout power with the muscle band at 170dmg + it limits their power, or forces them to put more combinations into play to get it (hypnotixic laser, Virbank, Reverse Valley...) It's just to easy to attach muscle band and be done with it.
Actually, Joltik and Pumpkaboo both need Fighting Fury Belt. Thanks to Time Puzzle, it is now possible for Night March to consistently hit ten Night Marchers in the discard consistently T1, while also surviving Bat damage, meaning that it can afford the ten less damage from FFB. A good Night March player should now be able to win the game by turn three (or four if they went first).

Mora

Don't Panic
Actually, Joltik and Pumpkaboo both need Fighting Fury Belt. Thanks to Time Puzzle, it is now possible for Night March to consistently hit ten Night Marchers in the discard consistently T1, while also surviving Bat damage, meaning that it can afford the ten less damage from FFB. A good Night March player should now be able to win the game by turn three (or four if they went first).

+40 HP on a 30 HP Basic is more than likely going to be irrelevant. Maybe with Pumpkaboo, it might actually save it from being KO'd, but I don't think that's going to be the case enough to warrant Fighting Fury Belt over Muscle Band, at least in Night March.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
@bbninjas Thank You.

To be honest, Ho-Oh EX likes muscle band. I've been playing the deck exclusively the last few days and FFB is just too 'okay' for it. With Muscle Band, it can do 150 damage to an EX and 30 more to another. setting it up for a KO. if played right, you can take 4 prizes in a turn.

crystal_pidgeot

Nice! I haven't thought of that.

Ho-oh is hard to play for sure. I'm trying it with golduck break so I can do things with max potion but its ability is SOOOOOOOOOOOO slow. Another issue I'm having is deck space. Ho-Oh EX needs a secondary attack and those attackers need to hit water types for weakness. Luckily you have grass and lightning energy. I'm going to test with some Zapdos, since it has some synergy with Ho-Oh and maybe Heracross EX since it can hit for 240 with weakness.

Another issue I'm having is finding space for counter play cards like stadiums and the like. There isn't any space to do so and maintain consistency of the deck. I think this is a problem with the game itself. We need less legal sets.

Latte1504

Aspiring Trainer
Ho-oh is hard to play for sure. I'm trying it with golduck break so I can do things with max potion but its ability is SOOOOOOOOOOOO slow. Another issue I'm having is deck space. Ho-Oh EX needs a secondary attack and those attackers need to hit water types for weakness. Luckily you have grass and lightning energy. I'm going to test with some Zapdos, since it has some synergy with Ho-Oh and maybe Heracross EX since it can hit for 240 with weakness.
Have you tried it with M Manectric and Mac Elixir? Both accelerate energy and M Manectric acts as a secondary attacker.
We need less legal sets.
In standard there are 9 sets. That is the average amount at this point in the season any given season.

crystal_pidgeot

Have you tried it with M Manectric and Mac Elixir? Both accelerate energy and M Manectric acts as a secondary attacker.

In standard there are 9 sets. That is the average amount at this point in the season any given season.

I don't have M Manectric but I rather play it to where it doesn't get KO or keeps large amounts of damage on it. It might work but I think with Manectric, there are more issues to deal with. Zapdos just take 2 spaces and gives up one prize, and it can attack Regice. In my test playing, I did now how weak the deck is to water, which is a big deal. I could try Alitara with it to see if that works but a Hex Maniac ruins it.

malamarch

Aspiring Trainer
+40 HP on a 30 HP Basic is more than likely going to be irrelevant. Maybe with Pumpkaboo, it might actually save it from being KO'd, but I don't think that's going to be the case enough to warrant Fighting Fury Belt over Muscle Band, at least in Night March.
Thanks for proving my point, since you almost always attack with Pumpkaboo instead of Joltik. In the case of Jolti, however, +40 is still extremely relevant, as now it doesn't get KOed by Sneaky Bite + Swoop Across on T2.

crystal_pidgeot

Most water types are grass weak in tcg. Maybe you expect to fall behind early on prizes against water and attempt to sweep with Virizion AOR.

I play standard, not expanded. Some of the new ones are lightning weak and on PTCGO, a lot of people I run into use Mewtwo and Glalie EX. Both of those decks kill Ho-Oh EX and having a deck weak to Glalie EX is a bad weakness since each Ho-Oh is at the mercy of a DCE and Judge, which the player seems to always have.

The goal for Ho-Oh is to not fall behind because its not easy to get its energy on them so when one falls, you get setback at least 2 turns.

Latte1504

Aspiring Trainer
Some of the new ones are lightning weak
There are a grand total 9 lightning weak pokemon in standard format.
Mewtwo and Glalie EX
Mewtwo is psychic weak and Glalie is metal weak...
The goal for Ho-Oh is to not fall behind because its not easy to get its energy on them so when one falls, you get setback at least 2 turns.
I understand this. You truly need a good way to accelerate energy. Mega Manetric is the best followed by languorous FFI and then Yveltal XY/ Smeargul BKT.

crystal_pidgeot

There are a grand total 9 lightning weak pokemon in standard format.

Yeah, Gyrados and Yveltal EX are the ones I worry about. They both can KO Ho-Oh in one hit. mewtwo as well

Mewtwo is psychic weak and Glalie is metal weak...

I know but they are both very powerful against Ho-Oh. My build can move energy around, others have to have 4 on if they want to use its ability.

I understand this. You truly need a good way to accelerate energy. Mega Manetric is the best followed by languorous FFI and then Yveltal XY/ Smeargul BKT.

Manetric solves the Yveltal problem but then I lose to Regice. Zapdos is the best option here. I just sub the mega for max elixir and can maybe get a turn two ho-oh ex. They may be good but they aren't the best for Ho-Oh.

treyh37

Watcher of Thorns
I've been looking at using this in more of a budget deck to see what low-mid level poke it powers up to be decent.

right now the top contender is heatmor BKP, for 1 fire the first attack does 20 if it has a tool it gets 20 more (40) so with muscle band it can do 60, 50 with FF belt, but with the belt its hp goes from 100 to 140 which makes only fully powered poke able to one hit it.

couple other I'm looking at are Durant, more survivability for the discard deck, sudowoodo could make it survive enough to use watch and learn an extra time.
entei, could attach 2 for 210 hp +20 to att, meowth AOR 100hp 40 attack for 1 dark, skarmory ROS 140 hp 70 dam for dce and a stadium. reshiram/zekrom ROS 170 hp basic zekrom does 40 and attach an energy from discard to self for 1 lightning, deoxys ROS 150hp second attack can go 40-100 with belt for 1 with d. valley in play.
landorus and hawlucha, miltank think others mentioned these.

Solrock XY 130hp 50 dam for 1 if you have a lunatone in play can be upped by the fighting kit (stadium, fighting special energy, etc)
in an energy discard deck team aqua's seviper for dce can do 40 and discard energy from active poke.

course that's only the ones in standard I've seen so far.

Last edited:

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
FFB is huge. I know it's not legal yet, but I think the card is as good as it seems. +40 HP forces Bees and NM players to commit even more of their attackers to the Discard Pile and burn through their deck further for those OHKOs. +10 attack damage allows Giratina-EX to OHKO Shaymins. There are so many more ways this card can influence the meta, it's crazy. Heck, even NM could benefit so that baby Yveltal (the card in YZG that essentially evens out the matchup if played correctly) can't OHKO everything due to an HP jump. Joltiks can't be Sky Returned and baby Yveltal needs a Muscle Band to OHKO Pumpkaboos.

Expect to see a lot of this card.

Mora

Don't Panic
Thanks for proving my point, since you almost always attack with Pumpkaboo instead of Joltik. In the case of Jolti, however, +40 is still extremely relevant, as now it doesn't get KOed by Sneaky Bite + Swoop Across on T2.

Except that even on Pumpkaboo, it's still mostly irrelevant. Really the only thing I was thinking about Pumpkaboo surviving was Landorus EX's Hammerhead. Just about everything else still KO's it. If your deck is struggling to take out a 100 HP Pokémon in this format, you need to rethink your deck.

OmnomOrNah

Duke of Dead Draw
FFB is huge. I know it's not legal yet, but I think the card is as good as it seems. +40 HP forces Bees and NM players to commit even more of their attackers to the Discard Pile and burn through their deck further for those OHKOs. +10 attack damage allows Giratina-EX to OHKO Shaymins. There are so many more ways this card can influence the meta, it's crazy. Heck, even NM could benefit so that baby Yveltal (the card in YZG that essentially evens out the matchup if played correctly) can't OHKO everything due to an HP jump. Joltiks can't be Sky Returned and baby Yveltal needs a Muscle Band to OHKO Pumpkaboos.

Expect to see a lot of this card.
I literally just made a post making this exact same argument on accident without reading yours first. This. This 100%