• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Gengar / Crobat

ViolaBouquet

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémon: 16
  • 3 Gastly BKT 58
  • 2 Haunter BKT 59
  • 2 Gengar BKT 60
  • 2 Mewtwo-EX NXD 54
  • 3 Zubat PHF 31
  • 2 Golbat PHF 32
  • 2 Crobat PHF 33
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 30
  • 2 Energy Retrieval PLB 80
  • 2 Pokémon Catcher KSS 36
  • 2 Professor's Letter XY 123
  • 1 Skyarrow Bridge NXD 91
  • 1 Wally ROS 94
  • 1 Lysandre FLF 90
  • 1 N DEX 96
  • 1 Rescue Scarf DRX 115
  • 2 Shauna PHF 104
  • 1 Team Flare Grunt XY 129
  • 2 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 94
  • 2 Escape Rope PRC 127
  • 2 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
  • 2 Switch ROS 91
  • 1 Devolution Spray DRX 113
  • 1 Weakness Policy PRC 142
  • 1 Float Stone BKT 137
  • 1 Town Map BCR 136
  • 2 Pokémon Communication BLW 99
  • 2 Battle Reporter FFI 88
Energy: 14
  • 11 Psychic Energy Energy 5
  • 2 Double Colorless Energy PHF 111
  • 1 Mystery Energy PHF 112
Strategy:

I've been looking through the forum and cannot seem to find a good list for standard and thoughts on it.

I'm thinking of making a deck focused around Gengar from Breakthrough (Creep Show), and the Crobat line. Online my deck has had some issues with building up the line fast enough. A couple times it works out but usually I get wiped out before I can set up. The only time I really hit a wall was not being able to get my stadium out against a rough seas and never being able to put enough damage from the bats.

I like decks that are more fun/strategy and looking to start with a local league that plays standard.

Is there a good set up of this deck or is it just not viable? If it is not viable what is something else that has an interesting set up/surprise attack on people?

Here are some thoughts.

You definitely need to go 3-3-3 line of Gengar and probably 3-3-3 of the bats too. Brigette is a good supporter for getting 3 of your basics down quickly. 3-4 level balls will help you pull everything else except Gengar. A couple of ultra balls will help you get Gengar out. A 2-2 line of octillery will work for draw support. 1 or two rare candies in case you need to go to Gengar straight from Gastly. Your stadium should be Dimension Valley so you can attack for 1 colorless less. I don't think you need Double Colorless Energy either. Sacred Ash or Super Rods to help you get pokemon from discard back to you deck.

Good luck

Although you listed "Standard" in the thread's Heading, you've included quite a few cards that are not legal in the Standard format game. So, you may want to review your list and replace those Expanded format cards first. Otherwise, you may see some responses that may completely overhaul your deck due to the illegal cards.

Or you could simply change the thread's Heading to reference an "Expanded" deck instead.

Although you listed "Standard" in the thread's Heading, you've included quite a few cards that are not legal in the Standard format game. So, you may want to review your list and replace those Expanded format cards first. Otherwise, you may see some responses that may completely overhaul your deck due to the illegal cards.

Or you could simply change the thread's Heading to reference an "Expanded" deck instead.

Yes, I said that the deck I posted was an expanded deck from my PTCGO account. I was mainly asking what would have to be altered as far as main staples, and if it is viable. This will be my first ever deck construction from scratch and I want to base it off of there but need some advice since I am coming back from a 17 year hiatus.

Add some wobbufet and it will help stall the opponents deck.

That's a good idea. It seems people are focusing a lot on abilities to get ahead. I also got the Breakthrough MewTwo with damage change as a backup incase I can't get the bats or ghosts out, or I just need some power.

Since Devolution spray is out for standard I'm picking up a couple AZs

I made almost the same exact deck and, while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I ultimately decided that there were too many Stage 1 evolutions to make it function properly, and Haunter didn't prove to be overly useful for me.

I ended up dropping Gastly for Phantump and popping in Gengar EX. Trevenant, Gengar EX, and bats spell trouble for anyone!

actually, if you switched mewtwo for alakazam EX, have a couple float stones, then attack that would be good
Benefits:
1. you can deal 30 damage to anything that has energy.most pokemon need energy to load up ie. wishiwashi, primal kyogre, gardevoir. but if you are against alolan dugtrio or something, then it will be harder.
2. is still psychic type
3. use creep show and you will be good to go!!
one down fall though if he/she/it uses olympia it will heal up so it is a problem. but olympia is not used very much so it will be unlikely.
if followed, alakazam can retreat using float stone and gengar can attack.
hope this helped.

actually, if you switched mewtwo for alakazam EX, have a couple float stones, then attack that would be good
Benefits:
1. you can deal 30 damage to anything that has energy.most pokemon need energy to load up ie. wishiwashi, primal kyogre, gardevoir. but if you are against alolan dugtrio or something, then it will be harder.
2. is still psychic type
3. use creep show and you will be good to go!!
one down fall though if he/she/it uses olympia it will heal up so it is a problem. but olympia is not used very much so it will be unlikely.
if followed, alakazam can retreat using float stone and gengar can attack.
hope this helped.
When this thread was alive, M Alakazam wasn't even out.

Back