• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Night March on Steroids

Peter Torres

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon: 17
  • 4 Pumpkaboo
  • 4 Joltic
  • 4 Lampent
  • 3 Shaymin EX
  • 1 Bronzor
  • 1 Bronzong
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 36
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 1 Misty's Determination
  • 1 Teammates
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 4 Battle Compressor
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Acro Bike
  • 3 Fighting Fury Belt
  • 3 Trainers Mail
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 Enhanced Hammer
  • 1 Buddy-Buddy Rescue
  • 1 Float Stone
  • 3 Dimension Valley
Energy: 7
  • 4 Double Colorless
  • 3 Metal Energy
Strategy:

Okay if the name has caught your attention for this night march deck, your time will not be wasted by reading the following deck analysis. After play testing this deck for close to three hours, I feel that I have created a sustainable night march deck capable of taking more hits than ever before. The term "steroids" is what I like to call Fighting Fury Belt and gives your basic pokemon an additional 40+ hp plus 10+ damage to your opponents active pokemon. Some of you may ask why include a copy of Misty's Determination? Well to explain, this supporter allows the user to discard a card from their hand in order to search through the top 8 cards of your deck in and then allows you to pick any card you find there and put that into your hand. A possibility of discarding a night marcher from your hand and being able to search your top 8 cards for a possible DCE or battle compressor to clutch a last minute victory. Many of the cards from breakpoint seem to have been geared towards night march more than anything.

How to play the deck:
The tactic is fairly simple. This deck wants to go second, in order that you may attack first and possibly take two easy prize cards. With cards such as battle compressor and ultra balls, it is important to get as many pokemon in the discard as possible. Ultra balling for shaymins is crucial to the deck as it allows more space to use supporters such as lysandre, Professor Sycamore, or even misty's determination to search for a possible double colorless that trainers mail cannot bring you. It is crucial to get a fighting fury belt onto at least one or more pumpkaboo in order to be able to attack multiple turns with the same night marcher. Turn one, you should be able to get a bronzor and set up on your bench. Putting a float stone is also recommended incase your opponent lysandres bronzor/bronzong out. Though this is not a crucial part into the deck, it does however combo by putting an energy onto your benched pumkaboo or joltic if you need an additional energy to attack. I also decided to stick to a 1-1 line of bronzong because having more than one copy of each will create possible clogging in the deck. Revive and Super Rod are safety nets if you were forced to discard your bronzor or bronzong away by accident or need a night marcher back on the bench. I was going to include a copy of Jirachi Promo into the deck, but felt that enhanced hammer works just as well and does not limit your bench space. Please feel free to comment, and if this deck has helped you I want to know! Thanks!Night March Deck.jpg

Last edited:
I was scared someone with a night march deck would discover misty lol >.<

Night march drives me crazy, but this looks pretty solid.

have oyu considered Psychics third eye? It seems like a really nice card for night march

I don't see much room for this deck to include that card, But good looks on the new supporter! Thanks for your comment on my deck as well, i appreciate getting acknowledge for my hard work haha

I think you may gain some hitpoints, but without muscle band it will be harder to OHKO.
The deck needs to dig deep for the mega knock outs. Yveltal with a muscle band still knocks punkaboo for 100dmg and Jolteck for 60dmg. Usually those decks run three of those tools.
I've been testing fighting spirit belt. I'd rather have the KO's. Going that deep into the deck for a couple of extra hit points is challenging.

I still don't like fighting fury belt. I think a lot of people are forgetting the strategy of their decks and seeing the +40HP and thinking it'll help. Granted you will survive a hit from toad or manectric with the belt, but I feel like all the other decks are geared towards the OHKO of 180HP > so is the belt really gaining you anything?

I still don't like fighting fury belt. I think a lot of people are forgetting the strategy of their decks and seeing the +40HP and thinking it'll help. Granted you will survive a hit from toad or manectric with the belt, but I feel like all the other decks are geared towards the OHKO of 180HP > so is the belt really gaining you anything?

I kind of agree with this. While fury belt is absolutely brutal in entei and raikou decks, I think it loses a lot of purpose otherwise.

I threw them in my sons night March deck and played my toad deck, it was annoying to take more turns for the KO, but toad totally locks night March so he couldn't do anything. We even tried it in reverse where I played his he played mine. Same thing. It's just a stalled death.

The purpose of the fighting belts is to prevent sniping from possible golbat/crobat variants you will see when toad/crobat or manectric/crobat become more popular in standard. From play testing against a toad/giratina matchup, as well as a straight toad/garbordor deck(yes standard format for both) it preformed excellent even locked conditions. Getting a turn one KO has not been an issue, even to get that many night marchers in the discard pile has not been an issue for this deck. The Fighting Fury Belt can still knock out a giratina or manectric with only having 8 night marchers in the discard pile. Although the muscle band for some players is the premium choice, having to be able to survive a quaking punch and attack once more is extremely crucial to the deck.

Been trying Bursting Balloon. It kind of rocks. I get the rationale behind Fury Belt. Seems good. Tried Psychic's Third Eye with only limited success. Puzzle of Time was a complete failure and I run Unowns, even with 3 Acro Bike its usefulness is not that great when you have only one and the second condition never came up (magically rescuing a DCE with two pieces of the Puzzle)

Yeah puzzel of time IMO was not that good of a card unless you had 2 in your hand but became situational when you had to have 2 in your hand at the same time. With a deck that discards so much, i would be bound to have discarded it in one way or another. Burst ballon is cool too, unfortunately it is discarded at the end of the turn and is not too good personally. With fury belt, it ensures that the pokemon can live another turn or two. Thanks for the input though!

Bursting Balloon could actually act like a fury belt, and if you can't discard as many Night Marchers, it could finish off the worrying M Scizor-EX (really though,it could be a threat to Night Marchers). And you could still attach another tool if the opponent chooses not to attack. But of course, we will not know the result until we try it.

Siesmitoad has always presented challenges to Night March. Night March's viability in the format shall change a bit. If you hit a Seismitoad in a tournament, the best bet is to go second. If you cannot OHKO the seismitoad on your first turn, it's an up hill battle to win. I would suggest to scoop and take chances on another opponent. Villuplume locks the deck down too. Except Villplume gets going on first turn. I'd suggest you scoop, and again take chances on another opponent.

Because of Delinquent, Seismitoad is going to see a come back. Trainers will look for ways to destroy your hand. I'm already seeing it, nothing to successful, but eventually some clever trainer will hit the right combo.

Night March's has been lucky. This season Toad was tamed. The luck is because of it's lack of play against Yveltal, and no virbank/laser. However, if Yveltal's hand is limited and locked I could see some interesting mojo plays with the Toad. Yveltal is a heavy item deck because of Maxies.

If you're a Night March Trainer, the best way to play against the deck is xerosic. By discarding the special energy, the deck goes on it's heals pretty quickly in standard. The DCE is a harder to get in standard because the game is slow. Still it's a wing and prayer against that deck.

For the new set, I think the best supporters for the deck is Misty and Psychics Mind Reading. As for the items, I'm still perplexed on what could be good in the deck.

I also think the new scizor could present challenges to the deck.

I'd suggest not to play the deck in expanded. Expanded has to many counters for it.

Last edited:
I am not too experienced in expanded format, only standard. I actually run a seismitoad/garbordor/delinquent deck and it runs fantastic. When I played this deck with my night march deck, I personally do not have an issue turn one knockout (if i go second). Misty's determination actually became a clutch when searching for a double colorless in every turn and fighting fury belt has significantly helped my joltics and pumpkaboo survive more than one hit. Additionally, my 1-1 lineup of bronzor/bronzong have not given me an issue but to help me get more energies onto my benched pokemon. I think this deck is getting some bad attention for replacing fury belts with muscle bands, but until you test out this deck for yourself and see the capabilities it has, there is a lot that is not shown on paper. In my league tournament today, I placed first place and i feel that this deck is not getting the recognition it deserves. Please test out the deck and tell me what you think and what might need to be replaced. Thanks for all the inputs, i really do appreciate it.

That's consodering you're going second of course. I always go second with toad. So, that being said item locking and discarding your energy turn 2 sure plays a key to that. Not to mention the red card/ delinquent combo now with silent lab in play is huge!

At least against Seismitoad EX you are guaranteed a turn before item-lock.
My son's deck is NM + Milotic. We've been trying Burst Balloon and Fighting Fury Belt independently. Both have advantages and disadvantages. In Expanded Fighting Fury Belt is definitely preferable since the threat of Landorus EX is huge. Inm the mirror match I would pick Burst Balloon in Standard hands down.
Misty's is amazing, Psychic's Third Eye is kind of terrible compared to say Misty's or Sycamore. Both tested. Milotic is way preferable to Puzzle.
On Yveltal, right now, they are just as likelty to start with Yveltal EX, Shaymin EX or Zorua right now, some will drop Yveltal XY for Max Elixir. Fighting Fury Belt can't help against a terrible match up though and Darkness is a terrible match up. Yveltal XY cannot OHKO Joltik with one energy even with Muscle Band when Fighting Fury is in play.
It helps immensely against Lucario EX, requiring 4 power ups for missile Jab to KO Pumpkaboo: impossible.
I will try Milotic with Puzzle though, the chances of Serene Grace rescuing the second piece of the puzzle and netting me both a DCE and Dimension Valley in the same turn is so awesome.
Puzzle has to be run with another card that can complete the puzzle. I run it currently in Gallade / Octillery where Korrina can fetch the missing piece and allow me to make a broken effect happen.

Last edited:
Ive seen many variants include the puzzle pieces card, but I'm not sure if it would be extremely beneficial in the night march deck for a reason. If you put more than 2 in a deck, there will create clogging in the deck that will prevent you to be able to possibly get an OHKO turn one. However, if you ran two in the deck, you run into a small possibility that one may be prized. I believe that running a 1-1 milotic lineup may be the best option in turns of seeking your discard for a clutch vs seeker or DCE, but the puzzle pieces just don't fit right in the deck (Get it?....ill stop). I don't hate on the milotic lineup in the deck by no means, its a personal preference to run that over Bronzong. However, with bronzong, there are many possiblities in which you can reuse those metal energies to power up a pumkaboo on the bench due to loss of stadium. In many situations, that last minute steel energy attachment truly helped my game out, while if i ran mitotic, i would only be able to search for 1 card and hope it is something that will not be wasted once i use it. Again, I'm not disliking on milotic, but its a personal choice on which you choose! In reference to your yveltal matchup, it seems to be whoever goes second. Yveltal has weakness to electricity as the night marchers are weak to dark. However, knocking out a night marcher for one prize opposed to taking two my opponent is a matchup i would not mind taking. Essentially, whoever can set up better is going to win in that matchup, but this build sets up fairly quick and easy.

I think that Puzzle of time has to be taken seriously in this deck.
The fact that you can basically Teammates for any 2 cards in your discard is insane.

Agree, having a supporter like Skyla, just a one of to discard and use later to get a second Time Puzzle might be worth it: If there was a supporter that read 'Put any two cards from your discard pile into your hand' You'd run it.

Back