• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Future: Primal Kyogre EX

Xflare21

Aspiring Trainer
So this is the deck list I've come up with so far for the Primal Kyogre I wanna put together for competitive play. Any & all input is welcome :)

I want to include breakpoint cards.

Pokémon: 8
  • 3 Primal Kyogre EX 149/160
  • 3 Kyogre EX 148/160
  • 1 Articuno 17/108
  • 1 Shaymin EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 26
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Rough Seas
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 1-2 Professor's Letter
  • 2-3 Float Stones
  • 3 Kyogre Spirit Link
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Dive Ball
  • 2 Super Rod
Energy: 12-14
  • 10-12 Water Energy
  • 2-4 Splash Energy
Strategy:

Was thinking possibly 2 manaphy ex. ( also I know breakpoint cards won't be able to be played for 3 weeks after the set is released, just trying stuff out )

Yo-yos

DP and hoenn era, when tcg was dope
Why not play plakia EX in here if you want to add cards from the next set.

Yo-yos

DP and hoenn era, when tcg was dope
With max elixir you an pull of a turn 1 palkia, turn 2 you mega evolve and then attache 2 from hand, how is that not competitive?

Xflare21

Aspiring Trainer
With max elixir you an pull of a turn 1 palkia, turn 2 you mega evolve and then attache 2 from hand, how is that not competitive?

I'm not saying, nor did I say it wasn't competitive. I'm just seeing what other people would add to make it competitive.

LiftoffLizard

Hoenn Nerd
I want to play Primal Kyogre competitively as well. After I went through the current competitive decks Night March and Vespiquen seem to have the biggest advantage over Kyogre. IDK how to sufficiently tear down vespiquen with kyogre variants, but I did find the recipe for night marches DISASTER.

Ancient Origins Kyurem EX.

He has high hp and is weak to steel, so bee's can't get advantage damage. But the big thing on him is glaciate, because 30 everywhere kills all of the joltik and will often only leave your opponent with either milotic (swirling ripples), pumpkaboo (maximum play is like only two of these for attacking though), mew ex, or shaymin ex. And the only threats out of that would be pumpkaboo (RARELY) and mew but mew isn't useful without the Joltik. Often you can get many prize cards for just one glaciate.
Another great thing about kyurem is kyogres energy acceleration allows kyurem to quickly use Ice Caliber for a max of 150 (I run 2 muscle band) and stops your opponents attacks (unless they switch) mostly.

So kyurem is just something to consider but I will recommend him for competitive play.

fr33land

Weak competitive trainer.
I had a thought to run Kyogre EX and Primal Kyogre, with the intention of Archie's Primal Kyogre,
I figure with Manaphy EX, Primal and regular Kyogre EX can switch places with themselves and conserve energy, Primal accelerates to Regular and then retreats, Kyogre EX puts the energy back into you hand, Kyogre EX retreats, attach 2 energy to Primal and accelerate them back Kyogre EX in an endless cycle.
Presuming everything goes well, Primal Kyogre is attacking turn 2 with 4 energy on it, by the end of turn 3 Kyogre EX has 4 energies and becomes active, putting 2 energies back into your hand. If Kyogre gets KO's you can Fisherman the energies and go right on attacking with Primal.
I almost gaurantee that very few NM decks can take out Primal Kyogre so early (especially if you go first) and when Primal attacks it might just sweep the board. . .
Provided you get Primal out first turn. Anyway, Manaphy EX would make this possible.
Anyway first turn Primal Kyogre would allow you to put two energies on anything you want, Kyurem EX AOR does sound good. . . I think it was largely dismissed because of the brutal energy cost for Glaciate, this is a great way around it I think.

LiftoffLizard

Hoenn Nerd
I have always liked the idea of an Archies Primal Kyogre EX deck, but discontinued the idea because I ended up either discarding half my deck and getting nothing out of it, or just plain never getting to get a Primal out with enough speed. If f33land you play an archies Primal deck I invite you to post it because I would like to compare my NON-Archies deck to it and maybe even switch deck typeds or give advice.
My biggest problem with my current list is I will often start with a Shaymin or someone else unuseful never the less playing 4 Kyogre EX.

My NON Archies List:

3 Primal Kyogre EX
4 Kyogre EX
1 Kyurem EX AOS
1 Articuno ROS
2 Shaymin EX
Pokemon- 11
12 Water energy
Energy-12
2 Ultra Ball
4 Dive Ball
3 Trainers Mail
2 Enhanced Hammer
3 VS Seeker
1 Kyogre Spirit Link
2 Muscle Band
2 Head Ringer
2 Switch
1 Escape Rope
1 Xerosic
1 AZ
3 Skyla
3 Sycamore
1 Birch
3 Rough Seas
1 Shrine of Memories

I might have missed or accidentally added. Not looking at deck at moment, but that should be right.

Last edited by a moderator:

fr33land

Looks smarter than anything I'd come up with.
Primal being able to use Kyogre's attack to put energy back into your hand, then you can reattach it to Primal next turn using Shrine of Memories is waaay smarter than trying to switch them back and forth.
Just add Manaphy EX for ability based retreat. I can't think of any advantage Archie's would confer aside from possibly getting Primal into play turn 1.
There are tons of downsides to using that mechanic, but I do find it fun.
I have only one 'good' Primal Kyogre, the other hasn't got Alpha Growth, which makes this an idea. It is shiny though. . . I would want 2 PRC Primals to make it worthwhile.
I don't know, recently every deck I use that mechanic in runs into Seismitoad or Vileplume and even if I manage to make the conversion the rest of the game is an excercise in frustration as I desperately hope to top-deck one of the few supporters in those decks because you can't have too many and work the Ace in the Hole.

Justin Crawford

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
1 manaphy ex breakpoint
2 keldeo ex
2 kyogre ex dex
1 kyogre ex primal clash
2 primal kyogre ex
1 seismitoad ex
1 wailord ex
2 shaymin ex ros
12 water energy
4 max elixer
2 kyogre spirit link
2 energy retrieval
4 vs seeker
1 professors letter
1 tool scrapper
1 computer search
2 float stone
2 ultra ball
4 dive ball
3 sycamore
1 n
1 xerosic
1 hex maniac
1 delinquent
1 skyla
4 trainers mail
1 rough seas

I've been testing this list for expanded and really like it, I just took 3rd in a league challenge with a similar build saturday.

It shouldn't be hard to change around for standard, that's my next project.

The dark explorers kyogre ex really helps against vespiqueen since it isn't weak to grass, and can take 2 prizes a turn from unevolved bees and eevees. Max elixer opens up a lot of great plays like turn 1 dual splash with keldeo and floatstone, turn 1 attacks with your kther kyogre to sleep your opponents attacker before you finish it with a turn 2 primal. I went with a low stadium count since it isn't necessary for the deck, and delinquent hekps against sky field decks and parallel city. Things I would consider are 1 pokemon center lady, max potion, and puzzle of time.

Last edited:

LiftoffLizard

Hoenn Nerd
1 manaphy ex breakpoint
2 keldeo ex
2 kyogre ex dex
1 kyogre ex primal clash
2 primal kyogre ex
1 seismitoad ex
1 wailord ex
2 shaymin ex ros
12 water energy
4 max elixer
2 kyogre spirit link
2 energy retrieval
4 vs seeker
1 professors letter
1 tool scrapper
1 computer search
2 float stone
2 ultra ball
4 dive ball
3 sycamore
1 n
1 xerosic
1 hex maniac
1 delinquent
1 skyla
4 max elixer
1 rough seas

I've been testing this list for expanded and really like it, I just took 3rd in a league challenge with a similar build saturday.

It shouldn't be hard to change around for standard, that's my next project.

The dark explorers kyogre ex really helps against vespiqueen since it isn't weak to grass, and can take 2 prizes a turn from unevolved bees and eevees. Max elixer opens up a lot of great plays like turn 1 dual splash with keldeo and floatstone, turn 1 attacks with your kther kyogre to sleep your opponents attacker before you finish it with a turn 2 primal. I went with a low stadium count since it isn't necessary for the deck, and delinquent hekps against sky field decks and parallel city. Things I would consider are 1 pokemon center lady, max potion, and puzzle of time.

Check your list again... you have 8 MAX ELIXIR.... What are the advantages to playing Kyogre EX DEX. I' am not judging just wondering the purpose. If its valid then I should try. As for the Archies VS Plume or Toad, I have to agree Archie will be infinitely hard to play with more item locks emerging.

Looks smarter than anything I'd come up with.
Primal being able to use Kyogre's attack to put energy back into your hand, then you can reattach it to Primal next turn using Shrine of Memories is waaay smarter than trying to switch them back and forth.
Just add Manaphy EX for ability based retreat. I can't think of any advantage Archie's would confer aside from possibly getting Primal into play turn 1.
There are tons of downsides to using that mechanic, but I do find it fun.
I have only one 'good' Primal Kyogre, the other hasn't got Alpha Growth, which makes this an idea. It is shiny though. . . I would want 2 PRC Primals to make it worthwhile.
I don't know, recently every deck I use that mechanic in runs into Seismitoad or Vileplume and even if I manage to make the conversion the rest of the game is an excercise in frustration as I desperately hope to top-deck one of the few supporters in those decks because you can't have too many and work the Ace in the Hole.

I don't play Manaphy because it requires Energy already on the retreating pokemon... so if I start with someone worthless at the beginning (Kyurem AOS, Shaymin EX, Articuno, anyone other than Kyogres) I have to waste a turn of energy to retreat them. And switch and escape rope can be skyla searched.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin Crawford

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Sorry, I was a bit tired while typing that and didn't realize I listed elixer twice.

For dex kyogre it's weak to lightning not grass which is great with vespiqueen being so popular and it attacks for 3 instead of 4. With max elixer you can take 2 prizes from unevolved pokemon on turn 1 or 2 and then primal evolve the next turn or just keep it unevolved. I had a few games over the weekend where I attacked a non ex pokemon and with primal kyogre and dealth 30 to 2 shaymins, did the same thing the next turn putting the shaymins at 60ea then got 4 prizes by using dex kyogre to deal 50 to each of them. I didn't like manaphy at first, but after trying max elixer he really felt right. I have a lot of games where I do something like attach water to my active, then max elixer a guy on the bench so I can retreat and attack. It works well for getting a primal kyogre out of the active slot if you attacked the previous turn and don't have a float stone on keldeo.

4 max elixer corrected to 4 trainers mail

LiftoffLizard

Hoenn Nerd
OH OK. Now the use of Kyogre EX DEX makes sense, but that would imply you playing this in expanded so wouldn't Keldeo and Float Stone be better? IDK have you tried it?

I don't see a way for Archies Kyogre to withstand plume and Toad at all. The only way to be successful against those two is to go first, get Pogre out, and power him up in one turn (via mega turbo) Even then you must with stand the use of no more items afterward and withstand the discarding of your energy (A growth will be rather succsessful against toads). This of course would require the use of a HIGHLY consistent one turn Archie and still be able to go first. Any thoughts towards this?

Justin Crawford

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I'm currently running 1 manaphy ex, 2 keldeo ex 2 float stone. Manaphy is in because my area plays a lot of xerosic, megaphone, giratina so I can't bank on having the tool on keldeo.

fr33land

What about 1 Shrine instead of rough seas, then Primal Kyogre DEX can attack with 2, 3 or 4 energy.

Justin Crawford

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I didn't think about shrine, it does gove youthe ability to either sleep something, or dual splash depending on what you evolved from. I'll try testingit some.

fr33land

Saw a very successful Primal Kyogre / Manaphy deck at league. No Archie's. Shrine. Excellent. PRC Kyogre EX is a must for this, putting the energy back in hand so you can power up Primal.

LiftoffLizard

Hoenn Nerd
Did you get to see the all the trainers specifically.... Also Manphy EX must've gotten lucky to not get sniped by Lysandre....