• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard The Pond (Greninja BREAK / Octillery)

PokeDad5

Aspiring Trainer
So I get the Shaymin/Octillery debate. There's a risk reward with both to be honest. While I like Octillery because of his ability, I still feel Shaymin is the answer to draw those cards you need rather than waiting on the build of Octillery. If you're focusing on building those stage 1's, who do you build first, why and how fast? It sounds like Octillery is first to give you the draw ability, but I feel it's going to take longer to develop the strategy of this deck because you're forced to build up multiple pokemon. The easiest way to use and dump Shaymin Ex because you dont want to leave them on your bench is Parallel City. You'll be limiting yourself to 3 bench, but at that point your Shaymin go to the discard pile with no prizes given and you're building the bench you want at that point with 3 frogadiers. I've seen this strategy in action to play shaymin then dump them with parallel city and it works. I was mad it worked because I wanted those left on the bench :)

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hi PokeDad,

Thanks for the review. I am aware of the Parallel City tactic. The main idea is to start with Froakie and use the Battle Compressor engine to evolve into Frogadier turn one with Wally. At that point you can get multiple Frogadier out with ease. Shaymin Ex is not needed to set up. However, the deck tends to dump its hand each turn. Therefore it needs a stable refill engine to keep the ship floating. Octillery serves exactly that purpose. Shaymin Ex is a one-time use card that speeds up the deck but cannot maintain a stable card flow each turn. For that reason Octillery works much better than Shaymin Ex in this deck.

masterman918

Vetran TCG Player
i feel like you should run rough seas if you are playing octillery and it counters bats fairly well which can be a pain to deal with, i would tak out 1 battle compressor and the 2 evosoda from your deck and add 3 rough seas and i would add an energy retrieval and remove the ace trainer because ace trainer isn't very good when judge and red card are better options

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hi masterman918,

Thanks for the review. The stadium card can backfire in this deck and does not seem to be needed. In contrast the search and control cards are vital to the deck since it allows Greninja to swarm. Ace Trainer is so underrated in this deck. On usual the first Frogadier will be knocked out turn two. You can take advantage of that and retrieve the Ace trainer discarded with Battle Compressor turn one with Vs Seeker. It is a nice shuffle draw that disrupts the opponent back more than Judge.

Bidulek

Aspiring Trainer
Hi Dark Espeon,
This is my version 1.3 Greninja BREAK:
Pokemons[16]:
2x Greninja BREAK
2x Greninja XY
2x Greninja BPO
4x Frogadier BPO
3x Froakie BPO
2x Shaymin EX ROS
1x Manaphy EX BPO
Trainers[34]:
4x Sycamore
2x Fisherman
2x Wally
1x Lysandre
1x AZ
1x Skyla
4x Dive Ball
1x Radę Candy
4x VS Seeker
1x Ultra ball
1x Energy Retrieval
1x Super Rod
3x Trainers' Mail
1x Letter
1x Max Potion
1x SSU
1x Float Stone
2x Muscle Band
2x Rough Seas

Energies[10]:
9x Water Energy
1x Splash Energy

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hi Bidulek,

Nice deck. Not entire sold on some card choices. I prefer Octillery over Shaymin Ex in this deck to ensure a stable card flow. In fact I only run one Manaphy Ex as a situational tech card. In a mirror match the Shaymin Ex cards can be abused by the opponent with ease but you will need to use them to maintain a stable card flow. By contrast Manaphy Ex can help the deck but it is not needed. Skyla and AZ also do not impress me that much. I understand that AZ retrieves Shaymin Ex but at the end of the day you had to use a supporter to draw cards. I would also run a fourth Froakie since he is your prefered starter. You can discard excess Froakies with Battle Compressor which I miss in the list above. It helps the deck a lot by thinning the deck and improving the odds to draw certain cards at the right time.

Hi folks,

Made a minor modification to my own list above by replacing Xerosic with Startling Megaphone.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
DE:

I believe your deck might not even compare to mine. Tried your list, failed, went on YouTube, got a better list, improved on it with my own changes, succeeded and won me two tourneys so far, the latter beating entei/charizard-EX and M Mewtwo-EX(the latter by my opponent conceding under pressure: foe refusal to see the humiliation of truly losing), as proof of how it got me those wins:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 18

2 Greninja BREAK BKP 41
4 Froakie BKP 38
4 Frogadier BKP 39
2 Greninja BKP 40
2 Greninja XY 41
2 Remoraid BKT 31
2 Octillery BKT 33

Trainer Cards - 32

1 Sacred Ash FLF 96
1 Delinquent BKP 98
4 VS Seeker PHF 109
1 Xerosic PHF 119
1 Wally ROS 107
2 Lysandre FLF 90
1 Professor's Letter TK-Noibat 24
1 Startling Megaphone FLF 97
1 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 94
2 Fisherman BKT 136
3 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
1 Town Map BKT 150
2 Float Stone PLF 99
1 Ace Trainer AOR 69
4 Dive Ball PRC 125
2 Muscle Band XY 121
4 Professor Sycamore PHF 101

Energy - 10

8 Water Energy XYEnergy 9
2 Splash Energy BKP 113

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

^ To make your deck better(my try of your deck was not as good as my version of this deck, which is, as mentioned before, based on a list obtained via YouTube), look at the list above, then look for cards similar to mine, and change it up as to make it not look like a copy of another person's deck.

^ Good luck finding a way to improve your deck idea!

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hi cardgjammer,

I do believe that the differences between the list is minimal. The main difference is in very few trainers between my list and the one used by rare candy. Rare candy based his list on a list Omnipoke made. Providing a list of modifications would have been much more helpfull since the differences are not massive and it would have saved a lot of time.

Congratulations on the tournament wins. The two examples are noit really telling since you only provided very basic information on two kind of decks that you faced. Furthermore, the two examples provided are not really convincing. The main reason is that you hit Entei Charizard for weakness and it does not have any conceptual advantages against this deck. Thus, the first example already is a favorable matchup. The strenght of M Mewtwo Ex decks depends on the exact list. would be interested in more details here.

Personally I like Manaphy Ex more than the tools since it takes less deck slots and allows the deck to run Trainer's Mail to thin out the deck for even more consistent draws. It also is more benefitial in matches against M Manectric Ex and his basic.

In your list i do not see the benefit of Pokémon Fan Club. A second Wally would be much better here.