• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard The King's Song (Poliwrath / Politoad)

JoeRow

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémon - 19
  • 4 Poliwag FFI
  • 4 Poliwhirl FFI
  • 3 Politoed FFI
  • 3 Poliwrath FFI
  • 2 Qwilfish FLF
  • 1 Remoraid BKT
  • 1 Octillery BKT
  • 1 Wailord-EX PRC
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 41
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 3 Skyla
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 4 Shrine of Memories
  • 1 Startling Megaphone
  • 1 Brigette
  • 2 Evosoda
  • 3 Rare Candy
  • 3 Switch
  • 4 Dive Ball
  • 4 Max Potion
  • 1 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Muscle Band
  • 2 VS Seeker
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 2 Wally
  • 2 Professor Birch's Observations
Energy: 0

Strategy:

So as you can see, this deck contains no energy! Politoed has an ability that lets you ignore all the *'s in Poliwag, Poliwhirl and Poliwrath's attacks. With no energy needed, that leaves a lot more room for extra cards.
Cards like Rare Candy, Dive Ball, Evosoda, Wally and Level Ball help get the frogs out asap.
Shrine of memories lets the frogs use attacks from their previous stages. So you can use Poliwrath's Steam Roll to deal decent damage and damage a Pokémon on the opposing bench. Then, next turn use (Poliwhirl's) Final Blow, with Muscle Band this deals 120 damage!
The turns you save not having to attach energy means that you can get multiple Politoeds and fully evolved Poliwraths on the bench more easily. So, if one gets KO'd, no problem! You've probably got another one set up and waiting.
But, these frogs getting KO'd isn't gonna happen often! Thanks so the re-released Max Potion. Since you have no energies to discard, you can fully heal a frog in one go with no penalties!

Wailord EX is super buff! So if you need some time to stall, send him out front. Let him take some punches and then use Max Potion to fully heal it!
Qwilfish is another supporting Pokémon. Everytime it's attacked, its ability deals 20 damage to the attacker. This lets you use Final Blow to its full power!
Of course, Octillery is used for continuous draw support.

Let me know what you guys think! I have had quite a few successful online games with this deck. But any more suggestions would be appreciated!

Ok this deck is silly and I love it! Really!
I've tried it in PTCGO and it is super fun.... But I think we have to tune it a little bit.
My 1st impression is

+1 Brigette
+1 Switch

-1 Birch
-1 Megaphone

Though the deck can often work without Energy, I recommend putting some DCEs or Water Energies in the deck in case your opponent has an Ability lock.

Should consider archie to get out extra poliwraths and politoeds. Probably archie instead of wally.

I think possibly some Fighting Fury Belts to increase HP and a little on attack. Also Rough Seas would help you deal with 2/3 KOs. I think the thing here is Item lock or Ability lock, as that would severely stop you getting Pokemon out or attacking

Ok this deck is silly and I love it! Really!
I've tried it in PTCGO and it is super fun.... But I think we have to tune it a little bit.
My 1st impression is

+1 Brigette
+1 Switch

-1 Birch
-1 Megaphone

Thank you! :D

The reason I had Birch in here was that sometimes, I do find I get terrible opening hands and can sometimes do with a re-draw.
Also, the Megaphone was because of Garbodor. Now that it has been re-released it could really harm this deck!

I do agree about upping the Siwtches and Brigettes!

Thank you for the input :)

Though the deck can often work without Energy, I recommend putting some DCEs or Water Energies in the deck in case your opponent has an Ability lock.

Ok, yeah. I see what you mean. But as the frogs moves are pretty costly without Politoed, I think you'd need a lot of energy to power them up, so wouldn't you just be getting a lot of dead draws?

I think possibly some Fighting Fury Belts to increase HP and a little on attack. Also Rough Seas would help you deal with 2/3 KOs. I think the thing here is Item lock or Ability lock, as that would severely stop you getting Pokemon out or attacking

Fighting Fury Belts! Of course! Thanks for that.
Rough seas is probably a no go as Memory Shrine is vital.

Should consider archie to get out extra poliwraths and politoeds. Probably archie instead of wally.

Ok, I will try it out, thanks :)
Just thinking though, that often I find myself with a lot of cards in hand. So actually playing Archie would be quite difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few water energy could be nice to use the other attacks they have.

As for archie. Card sit in ur hand due to your deck build. Alot of it is ur supporter count and high counts cards.

Though if you like it the way it is. Consider ultra balls, battle compressors, and other stuff to reduce hand size. It would make ur deck faster so you may not need walls to sacrifice.

A few water energy could be nice to use the other attacks they have.

As for archie. Card sit in ur hand due to your deck build. Alot of it is ur supporter count and high counts cards.

Though if you like it the way it is. Consider ultra balls, battle compressors, and other stuff to reduce hand size. It would make ur deck faster so you may not need walls to sacrifice.

What do you think of the new Splash energy? This way you could potentially use Poliwrath's Submission and when it gets knocked out, all of the Pokes go back to the hand.

I did try out Archie in a few games and each time it just sat as dead weight in my hand...

You need to build a deck around archie.

Probably need 4 battle compressors, 4 ultra ball, 4 vs seeker, and 2 archie. Things like acrobike or trainers mail would also help. Other things that can be instantly dropped would also be helpful. Reserve ticket can work.

If not using archie. I would suggest more brigette. 3 probably.

Fighting Fury Belts! Of course! Thanks for that.
Rough seas is probably a no go as Memory Shrine is vital.

Fighting fury belts wouldn't work since these aren't basic pokemon. The muscle band is a good plan though!

In my version i run 2 seismitoad with Dce and 3-4 water energy depend how many u want :p
since it can stall and be my "little tank" pokemon while i set up

Back