Discussion Is SlowBro in Breakpoint too powerful?

ViolaBouquet

Aspiring Trainer
So, there are some cards that just seem a bit ridiculous. I feel like this has to take the cake. The SlowBow in BreakPoint where for three colorless says "If you use this attack when you have only 1 Prize card left, you win this game."

So everyone will have at least one of these in their deck. I have to imagine that this will be banned from tournament play soon.

Am I giving this card too much weight?

I'd say yes, you are. First off, you need to make two/three manual attachments in most cases to even power it up, also causing it to be a Lysandre target that could set you back a lot. Secondly, a lot of matchups won't ever need Slowbro in the first place, as they only need to KO three EXs to win and thus won't ever end up having a single prize left. Thirdly, it's another 1-1 or 2-2 line, which doesn't add to a deck's consistency. Fourthly, it's another card taking up bench space as well as something you could start off with. Fifthly, by the end of the game, the likelihood this line is in your discard may be pretty high, decreasing your likelihood of getting it out in the first place.

it's really not that good. While Walk-off homer seems nice at first, most of the time if you can use Walk-off homer to win the games you can take your prize anyways by attacking with something that isn't Slowbro.

Um... what they said. ;)

I am mostly chiming in because Slowbro almost seems like a prank the designers are pulling on players, and like a prank it is largely harmless. I do worry though because the-powers-that-be have this nasty tendency to make several seemingly harmless cards only to then do something that makes their effect very important. In short, we'll revisit this topic if the metagame suddenly shifts to the point where scoring the win against the last Prize without actually doing anything to the opponent's Pokémon or deck is relevant.

We're going to get a future Supporter that is something like "Rival's Taunt" where Blue is making as obscene a gesture as could be permitted in TCG card art and it states something like "During your opponent's next turn, he or she cannot take any Prize cards.", aren't we? =P

"During your opponent's next turn, he or she cannot take any Prize cards."

Oh the horror, I truly hope we don't ever get this text printed on any future card. No condition could compensate that kind of effect.

- This thread was moved from TCG News & Discussion to TCG Competitive play as the thread is intended to discuss the viability of a card and its stance in the current metagame. -

I just realized I had been reading the card backwards this whole time and kept reading "If your opponent only has one prize card left."

I just realized I had been reading the card backwards this whole time and kept reading "If your opponent only has one prize card left."

(laughs) You did state it right in your original post though. I'm sure there are others that made the same mistake. At least you realize now and did not come to the conclusion in an actual match XD

I think having it the other way around would make it better, but even then, your opponent has only one prize card left, and you're attacking with a 100 HP Pokémon. You had better be taking your last prize card as well.

I think having it the other way around would make it better, but even then, your opponent has only one prize card left, and you're attacking with a 100 HP Pokémon. You had better be taking your last prize card as well.

If it was the other way round it would be broken as all hell. Who cares if you're attacking with a 100HP Pokemon? If this attack lands you win outright.

"Oh you've spend all game destroying me? Let me win out of nowhere with one attack".

If it worked when your opponent had 1 prize left then pairing him with Milotic from Flashfire would be amazing. Swarm with Slowbro, speed along the prize race by KOing Milotic to accelerate energy. By the time they had 1 prize left you'd have at least 2 Slowbro ready to go and if just 1 can attack, you'd win.

If it was the other way round it would be broken as all hell. Who cares if you're attacking with a 100HP Pokemon? If this attack lands you win outright.

"Oh you've spend all game destroying me? Let me win out of nowhere with one attack".

If it worked when your opponent had 1 prize left then pairing him with Milotic from Flashfire would be amazing. Swarm with Slowbro, speed along the prize race by KOing Milotic to accelerate energy. By the time they had 1 prize left you'd have at least 2 Slowbro ready to go and if just 1 can attack, you'd win.

Oh, the attack says you win. For whatever reason, I read it as auto KO.

Back