Entei / Charizard-EX

This is listed as a tier 3 deck? I feel like it should be updated to tier 2. I'm looking at results from about 230 events and from what it looks like Night March and Yveltal/Zoroark are by far the two tier one decks, but Entei/Charizard and Megaman are at the top of the rest in tournament top 4 appearances and over all wins.

Tier 1: Yveltal/Zoroark, Night March
Tier 2: Entei Charizard, Megaman

Just my humble opinion though

Could Emboar EX replace Charizard EX in this deck?
I think it's maybe an okay substitute if you don't have the Charizard-EX. I think the forced energy discard hurting momentum, the retreat cost of 1 more and the first attack being mediocre and unreliable are the reasons Charizard-EX outclasses Emboar-EX.
Hello guys!
Does 2 shaymin EX is good enough for thus deck? I cant get another one . Thanks for your input :)
From recent tournament experiences using this deck, you need all 3 Shaymin-EX for the non-supporter based draw support to pool enough resources.

I personally think Emboar-EX is a much better option. Unlike like Charizard-EX he can use his strongest attack, which can be blacksmith'd. While Charizard can only use his once every other turn. So you need to retreat Charizard to be effective while you wouldn't really need to do so with emboar since he could potentially attack every turn and with muscle band will OHKO most Pokemon.

The new tool from breakpoint would be excellent in this deck (fighting spirit belt I believe its called). 170 health on that entei and it does 40 isntead of 30 on that first attack sounds awesome. Not to mention, having 2 on him would give him the health of a mega evolution. Otherwise, I like this idea a lot actually and might build it for myself.

Has anybody play tested this against Primal Groudon? Any advice?

I lost my first game solidly to Primal Groundon but came back fighting in the second.
I drew Charizard Ex first and no other basic. I managed to get Energy onto it quickly and started hitting the Groundon Ex before it evolved. I also began setting up my Entei on the Bench. My plan was to inflict as much damage as quickly as possible on the Groundon Ex and give myself time to get my Entei ready. In the end I sacrificed the Charizard in order to get the right Tools out. However, in doing so I was also able to Blacksmith the Energy lost to the benched Entei immediately. I attached 2 Muscle Bands to my active Entei and hit the Primal with 170. As there was not a Stadium Card in play my opponent could only attack with 100 which left my Entei able to kill the Primal on my next go. My opponent could not set up quickly enough to come back from there.

It's hard to play Primal Groundon because of its Antient Trait. So you have to slow your active Pokemon down while setting your bench up quickly.

Heatmor from breakpoint in this deck will be awesome as a 2nd attacker. 60 dmg from one fire energy with a muscle band ;-)

I personally think Emboar-EX is a much better option. Unlike like Charizard-EX he can use his strongest attack, which can be blacksmith'd. While Charizard can only use his once every other turn. So you need to retreat Charizard to be effective while you wouldn't really need to do so with emboar since he could potentially attack every turn and with muscle band will OHKO most Pokemon.
With Emboar you hit 170 easy every turn but you will never do anything but blacksmith to the same pokemon and the retreat cost is an attractive Lysandre target for stalling. I think Emboar-EX would be a bit better with a team magma camerupt/burning energy deck engine. I think it fits well in that type of deck.
I think I'd rather have time to prepare an Entei more often.

Last edited:
Hello everybody.

I`m testing this deck IRL.
Before you dismiss it, the hex maniac messes up a lot of decks if you know when to play it. This deck is all about speed, so denying early momentum from the ultra ball to shaymin or hoopa combo and punishing the zoroark stand in float stone combo for just that one turn is devastating for prize count.

Hex Maniac is great when you start 1st. You do the same thing as if you had started in 2nd, but instead of using Blacksmith you use Hex Maniac.
In this way you ensure that you did all the combo and have (probably) Blacksmith for the next turn and your opponent can't play her Shaymin :)

Agree, Hex Maniac and Silent Lab can shut this deck down also. Turn 1 Vileplume is death as is Seismitoad EX, I've had some good battles vs Seismitoad but as the game progressed being unable to break the lock means you are trying to top deck a supporter and you are in big trouble, the only thing possible is to hit early, hard and somehow maintain momentum under a flurry of hammers.
On another note 1 Sycamore and 1 Giovanni's simply doesn't work unless you've got 4 Battle Compressor. Even with 4 VS Seeker, you need to have access to them early and only 2 Battle Compressor ain't gonna do it. Reliance on VS Seeker is also an obvious weakness exploited by item lock. 2 Sycamore at least, what it the second one is prized and you compress one: under item lock you are without draw support basically.

Last edited:
How would you guys feel about pulling the shaymins, adding garbodor, since you're running a fair amount of tools already, and using more item based draw?

I have been contemplating this very thing. Currently I am running 2 Shaymins only but they have come in handy many a time. I find the deck is heavily reliant of drawing from the discard pile so it is nice to actually have the Shaymins to draw from the deck. If I can get them out in the first two turns I am well able to set you 2 Entei/Charizard combos to combat most other decks.

I have been badly locked down this week by a Trevenant deck and a Magnemite deck so being able to disrupt my opponents is probably the weakest part of my deck. I have move fast and I have to instantly be able to draw the cards I need to counter certain decks.

MewTwo EX and M MewTwoEx are a slight hit and miss as well.
My win rate though at the moment is 3/4.

How would you guys feel about pulling the shaymins, adding garbodor, since you're running a fair amount of tools already, and using more item based draw?
I don't think this deck works that well without the option of Shaymin-EX draw at it's disposal. It doesn't even need to be turn 1. I prefer the more compact hex maniac for the ability blocking.

I have been contemplating this very thing. Currently I am running 2 Shaymins only but they have come in handy many a time. I find the deck is heavily reliant of drawing from the discard pile so it is nice to actually have the Shaymins to draw from the deck. If I can get them out in the first two turns I am well able to set you 2 Entei/Charizard combos to combat most other decks.

I have been badly locked down this week by a Trevenant deck and a Magnemite deck so being able to disrupt my opponents is probably the weakest part of my deck. I have move fast and I have to instantly be able to draw the cards I need to counter certain decks.

MewTwo EX and M MewTwoEx are a slight hit and miss as well.
My win rate though at the moment is 3/4.
You have to play more conservatively and slower paced against trevenant. Regular attachments are key in this matchup. Save blacksmiths and double colorless for the optimal moments. Also shaymin-ex can absorb damage from gengar and sky return it off. Also, from a deck stance, try cutting out the acro bikes for more useful cards like an additional lysandre, hex maniac, another battle compressor and a stadium. These cards can provide a moment to play items or save you in a jam. I usually just battle compress the less useful item cards in this matchup and it creates less dead draws.

I agree Mewtwo is hit or miss sometimes. There is a particular build that is most dangerous to entei but its probably the least viable for everything else.

I do not have a conservative bone in my body but I hear what you are saying... Most of the games I do not win are because I have not planned the placement of my supports properly. I like the idea of switching out the acro bikes for battle compressors - it means the player has more control over what gets discarded. I also think a hex manic is a good card to have :)

Thanks too for the thoughts on the MewTwo deck - it makes sense too.

In the battle of Garbodor vs Vileplume, Vileplume wins. You need Hex Maniac to play the tool onto Garbodor anyway. I give Vileplume the edge in speed. Might help vs. Trevenant XY though.

I did some testing, doing two sycamore in a game with this kind of massive draw power and discard power leads to decking out yourself against any bulky ex or non-ex deck.

I'm on a budget and playing this deck with Emboar-EX and Octillery BKT. It works well enough, but I don't think it's as consistent as it could be. Is Shaymin-EX definitely needed to make the deck faster and more consistent?
In few words, yes. I doubt this even works well with Octillery unless you happen to get a constant stream of ultra balls to lower your hand every turn. Item lock will also shut you down and clog up your hand. There's also a risk of lysandre stall, with a megaphone to blow off any potential float stones.

Back