RMT Thundurus Balance Team [OU]

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Hi, I am playing with this balance team for awhile and it has been fun and pretty successful for me so far.

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave

Role: Sweeper
This is the Pokemon my team is based on. Nasty Plot+Prankster allows Thundurus to set up first most of the times and follow up with a powerful thunderbolt. HP Ice covers common ground types such as Garchomp, Gliscor and Landorus-T. I decided to test Sludge Wave as another coverage move in order to hit Fairy-types or anything that resist both Thunderbolt and HP Ice. So far, I used it only once on Rotom-W and it was good enough after Nasty Plot to bring him down so another Pokemon can finish it later. I am not sure if I should maybe replace it with Thunder-Wave which can help against Mega Lopunny.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

Role: Wallbreaker
Mega Lopunny is one of my favorite wallbreakers with the ability to use Fake Out to remove Focus Sash or simply checking the opponent. Overall this is pretty much a standard set that functions well and helps Thundurus against Chansey.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Role: Defensive Pivot
Slowbro is a very good Pokemon to switch in Keldeo (EV's lets it survive any hit from this thing upon switch without being 2HKOed), checking if it's Choice Scarf, or Azumarill.(Thundurus is my sweeper so I need to keep it for mid to late game) Scald saved me couple of times with the 30% burn chance. Toxic is chosen to weaken walls and especially to hit Rotom-W on the switch. Regenerator+Slack Off gives me the option to switch in and out multiple times and to give me momentum with other attackers.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Role: SR setter, Defensive Pivot.
Landorus-T is here for setting Stealth Rock and to give me momentum. Intimidate is another bonus to switch in when opposing physical attackers. Stone Edge is especially for Talonflame. U-Turn lets me gain momentum.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Pursuit

Role: Wallbreaker, Pursuit Trappar
Another thing that can stop Chansey and clear the way for Thundurus. Because I have Landorus-T with Intimidate, Bisharp can be a problem so I have Low Kick to deal with that. Pursuit allows me to trap Lati@s and Gengar.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Roar

Role: Defensive
Heatran is here for dealing with Mega Sab, Clefable, Ferrothorn and set-ups. Taunt and Roar makes sure I have enough tools to shut down set ups and statuses. It is my only form of anti-Hazard atm although it is pretty weak form for that and that's why it's not really considered as its role for me. Toxic is also here since it can be great to hit Pokemon that like to switch on Heatran such as Rotom-W, Landorus-T and Slowbro.

Current highest ranking I got with this team : 1390

I would appreciate your feedback and possible advices you can give me. :]

(btw sorry for no pictures, I'm having some weird issues with that from some reason)

I feel like half of your team is really good for offense and they're the better half of the team. Heatran, Slowbro and Landorus really just seem like momentum killers that Thundurus, Lopunny and Weavile adore. Have you ever considered switching to a more offensive route?

Also your team is 6-0ed by Calm Mind Sableye. To remedy this, I would put Substitute on Mega Lopunny instead of Ice Punch. WoW protection on it is so good!

As someone who has used the Thundurus+Lopunny core before, I strongly advise you to use Rocky Helmet Garchomp instead of Landorus. The set is SR / Dragon Tail / 2 of EQ, Fire Blast, Endure or Toxic. The residual damage is so good, especially against guys like Talonflame and Metagross.

I second the recommendation to change Lopunny to a Substitute set and consider more offensive Pokemon to support your core. Sub Baton Pass Lopunny just functions better with Thundurus by removing special walls and providing it with an easier way to boost, which Thundurus often needs. One really glaring thing that opens up this possibility is that I think some of Lopunny's moveset isn't needed, like Ice Punch when you can just Baton Pass out to your Weavile or Thundurus. I feel that If you go down this route, more aggressive Pokemon should be chosen to help Lopunny and Thundurus break down teams. Namely, I'd suggest:
  • A more aggressive hazard setter. Garchomp can punch holes and get hazards down consistently. Excadrill is also a solid option to spin away Stealth Rock, which is something that Thundurus and Weavile really need gone. It has the added benefit of checking some Fairy-types that wall Thundurus, which can possibly free up a moveslot on Thundurus. Thunder Wave would be a decent choice since the team lacks a way to check sweepers that get out of hand, but it does hurt your coverage.
  • A wallbreaker or stallbreaker to help Thundurus pull off a sweep. Manaphy would be a solid choice, especially a RD + TG set to absorb status.
  • A Healing Wish and Fighting-type check, such as Latias or Celebi. Thundurus can't really check Fighting-types. Latias can and can also really clear up some issues this team faces, such as the need for hazard control and the aforementioned Healing Wish. I can't stress enough how important it is with offensive teams to get a second crack at wearing down walls, especially if you're dealing with a Sub Baton Pass Lopunny.

Thank you! This team was designed first to be a balance team so that is why I ended up with some offensive and some bulky pivots. I might go offense with it in the future but for now I enjoy this style of battling.
Sub on Lopunny sounds great! It also helps me with W-o-W which btw after some battles, I found out that I am really weak to Rotom-W. Nothing to switch into that thing.
Garchomp and Excadrill sounds good. I think I'll switch Lando for Garchomp with Fire Blast. Switch Heatran for Toxic Excadrill. What do you think? Heatran's job was to deal with Ferrothorn and as another answer to M.Sab. (without calm mind). So do you think Garchomp is good enough to be a check for Ferro?
Latias sounds also good but I feel like trying Celebi since I never used this guy so maybe it's time. Celebi can also be a nice check for Rotom-W which I'm so weak too rn. I'll switch Slowbro for that. Hmmm what will I do with Thundurus.. TW or coverage..

In terms of Healing Wish, I absolutely love Scarf Jirachi with it. Trick / Healing Wish / Iron Head / Coverage is really good.

I actually wouldn't run both Garchomp and Excadrill as defensive Excadrill (the Toxic set) is a total momentum killer.

So if you're looking at Thundurus / Lopunny / Garchomp / Healing Wish / Stallbreaker, you've still got one more slot left. I would suggest Azumarill in that last slot if you go with Jirachi. You form a solid Fairy/Dragon/Steel core, get crucial priority with Aqua Jet and it's a really good wallbreaker in general. Lopunny's SubPass set is so good for CB Azumarill (and especially Belly Drum variants) that it isn't even funny.

Wait, so if I go with Thundurus/ Lopunny/ Garchomp/ Jirachi/ Weavil/ Azumarill I'm missing hazard control. With all the switching this team potentially need I think it is necessary.
Is it not? I'll try this build for now and see how it goes.

I've run a team extremely similar to that (see sig for the RMT) and I didn't really feel the need for hazard control. The opponent can't really afford to give you any openings, especially if you can get Azumarril behind a sub on a forced switch. If you play smart and dictate the tone of the match, you won't have a huge problem with hazards.

Back