M Manectric-EX Variants

Got top 16 with M Man/Water yesterday going 3-2-1. One loss was a going-to-be win next turn (against Frank Diaz!) and the other was a T2 donk in round 6 :(
I tried out 1 flash and no hammer. Because of milotic and bronzong, there's no real use to running hammer. Does anyone else run a hammer and how useful do you think it is?
I think flash is useful against Lucario, Gallade, and Donphan and Landorus in expanded. It's kinda hard to get out when you need it though. What are people's energy line with Flash in their decks?

Got top 16 with M Man/Water yesterday going 3-2-1. One loss was a going-to-be win next turn (against Frank Diaz!) and the other was a T2 donk in round 6 :(
I tried out 1 flash and no hammer. Because of milotic and bronzong, there's no real use to running hammer. Does anyone else run a hammer and how useful do you think it is?
I think flash is useful against Lucario, Gallade, and Donphan and Landorus in expanded. It's kinda hard to get out when you need it though. What are people's energy line with Flash in their decks?

Your right, there is no real use in running a single hammer, I agree. In my build, I run two hammers. It works. But playing with two hammers is a style of play thing. It forces you to hold the card in your hand as long possible, which gets annoying. Honestly, the best way I've figured out how to handle the match ups is to run a single copy of weakness policy. Instead of going Mega early you run head ringers and use a single manetric ex with a weakness policy. This helps with the Lucario and landorus matchup. With a donphan matchup, I try to get it out to buy enough time, sometimes the tool drops on Donphan and sometimes it doesn't. What I want to happen is have another M manatric or Articuno waiting on the bench to help with mop up. Either way, it's a tough matchup, unless you go bats Manetric, which make the matchups quite a bit easier.

I don't know what your water build is but I've been running a 2 copy of regice, and a 3 copy of Articuno (AT). Though, I still find bats Manetric to be the better variant in this Meta.

Last note, 16 is a strong finish. In my opinion you played really well to make 16th. Especially if you were playing with competitors like Frank Diaz. Congrats!

Your right, there is no real use in running a single hammer, I agree. In my build, I run two hammers. It works. But playing with two hammers is a style of play thing. It forces you to hold the card in your hand as long possible, which gets annoying.
I think the play would either be two or 0 like you said, I just don't have the space for it, but it is something I would be running if there were 65 cards allowed :p

Honestly, the best way I've figured out how to handle the match ups is to run a single copy of weakness policy. Instead of going Mega early you run head ringers and use a single manetric ex with a weakness policy. This helps with the Lucario and landorus matchup. With a donphan matchup, I try to get it out to buy enough time, sometimes the tool drops on Donphan and sometimes it doesn't. What I want to happen is have another M manatric or Articuno waiting on the bench to help with mop up. Either way, it's a tough matchup, unless you go bats Manetric, which make the matchups quite a bit easier.
Eh, I'm not too keen on weakness policy. My deck is very structured around the Mega. If you don't get it out T2, T3 latest you are either dead drawing or your opponent got a mad setup. Weakness policy kinda goes against that as it ends your turn. Sure, it's great for the basics...or is it? Many Fighting Type decks rely on 2HKOes anyways, IE Mienshao, Donphan, Lucario, and Landorus. Despite not having weakness, it's not really a big problem for them. As well, most of those decks run Xerosic or possibly a megaphone. You'd have to run a significant number of Weakness Policy for it to matter. If you run 1/2, you'll never run into it when necessary. But if you run 3/4, you are significantly hurting your deck; drawing into it against matches where it's useful and taking out support cards for techs is never worth it. Lastly, they made Flash energy for this reason! It solves all of the problems I listed above and provides (L) energy! Outside of not being able to get it back from the discard (but same as tools) and it can be xerosic'd (but so can weakness policy) I feel as if Flash Energy is already the go-to weakness solver.

I do recognize that Flash does only apply to electric pokemon, so it wouldn't work for Regice, Articuno, and Shaymin EX. But in all honestly, when does weakness really come into play with >140 HP pokemon? Metal and electric types are already one shotting those little guys, so TBH it's only really relevant to Manectric EX somewhat.

I don't know what your water build is but I've been running a 2 copy of regice, and a 3 copy of Articuno (AT). Though, I still find bats Manetric to be the better variant in this Meta.
I run 2 Regice and 1 Articuno. I think that both versions have their benefits. I think that Bats makes many decks that were once meh not so meh. But against my version (water), it barely helps. I bring up Regice and they basically lose. Then I one shot all of their Shaymins and Bats on the bench with Articuno or Manectric for easy game prizes.

Last note, 16 is a strong finish. In my opinion you played really well to make 16th. Especially if you were playing with competitors like Frank Diaz. Congrats!
Thanks, I was so close to winning...next turn ugh! But the better man won so I can't complain haha

Flash energy helps a lot. I've played in our local LC Mega man/raikou. The assualt vest and flash energy helps me a lot against gallade. The only that they KO my Manectric EX was when I carelessly benched without flash energy ('cause Im trying to set up a second mega man).

I won a PTCGO tourney w/ an Archie's Swampert(Diving Search) variant of this metadeck! With a win against Fighting EXes at end! Nice way to justify its T1 status now!

In case you want the list, PM me, and I'll get back to you tomorrow, as I have to get ready for bed now... But I just thought I'd share my recent success w/ Mega Mane!

I won a PTCGO tourney w/ an Archie's Swampert(Diving Search) variant of this metadeck! With a win against Fighting EXes at end! Nice way to justify its T1 status now!

In case you want the list, PM me, and I'll get back to you tomorrow, as I have to get ready for bed now... But I just thought I'd share my recent success w/ Mega Mane!

Nice one! Was the Swampert attacking as well or was it only used for its ability?

I might build a deck that has Bats with this. I was gonna use Zapdos and Wobbuffet as non-EX attackers for fighting leverage, but I don't know if that would work. I honestly think it's a better idea that Flash Energy, because of Special Energy hate. Plus, it doesn't help when you are not using it for a certain matchup. You can just use one of those two and save yourself a couple prizes. Any thoughts?

With the reprint of Garbotoxin Garbador does anyone think mega manectric/garbodor will make a come back? I've been looking at old deck lists and it seems like it would still do fairly well against the current meta

With the reprint of Garbotoxin Garbador does anyone think mega manectric/garbodor will make a come back? I've been looking at old deck lists and it seems like it would still do fairly well against the current meta
Yeah, I thought about that too. I already have my 2 english ones from BreakPoint, so I only need to get a couple of Manectrics- which I have a way to get them, so...

I know past versions of that deck had used empoleon for draw power and a way to deal with landorous but regice is somewhat similar although it doesn't provide any draw. I've been theorizing about it for a few weeks now. I'm debating on using head ringers or not in that version as well I can post a list sometime later.

Last edited:
Whoops, I got it confused with registeel, my bad. Speaking of which would it be viable to run a split of registeel and ice or is it one or the other or only regice in this deck? Registeel would mean discard on exs + 3-4 head ringer = opponent crying because they can't attach energy and have it be on the field for more than 1 turn.

M Manectric-EX / Regice already requires two different Energy types. Adding Registeel would slow the deck down too much; you would find yourself having to search for specific energies too frequently. With the right card combinations, the deck could definitely manage, but not enough to be in a top tier.

What about just M Manectric/ Wobbuffet? That has been doing okay as a tech for a while.

I believe that Wobbuffet would be playable as a tech. Having a Pokemon to power up on the Bench using M Manectric-EX is one of the advantages of that particular deck. Attaching energies to Wobbuffet is just unnecessary.

I believe that Wobbuffet would be playable as a tech. Having a Pokemon to power up on the Bench using M Manectric-EX is one of the advantages of that particular deck. Attaching energies to Wobbuffet is just unnecessary.
Not necessarily. Wobbuffet can just attack and retreat after M Manectric. You can Turbo Bolt for 110, then free retreat into Wobbuffet and Psychic Assault for 120- typically successfully 2HKO'ing anything. Plus, while you're at it, Wobb shuts down abilities, and when it finishes off a Pokemon, a revenge kill results in only 1 prize. After that, retreat, Turbo Bolt, repeat. That's how it goes on paper anyway.

Not necessarily. Wobbuffet can just attack and retreat after M Manectric. You can Turbo Bolt for 110, then free retreat into Wobbuffet and Psychic Assault for 120- typically successfully 2HKO'ing anything. Plus, while you're at it, Wobb shuts down abilities, and when it finishes off a Pokemon, a revenge kill results in only 1 prize. After that, retreat, Turbo Bolt, repeat. That's how it goes on paper anyway.
It's a terrible start though. Can't get out Shaymin-EX.

It's a terrible start though. Can't get out Shaymin-EX.
That's why the list would play 4 Manectrics and a switch(I built it on TCG One). I've seen these types of decks with Float stones, and most definitely AZ. Those are some ways that can help, but you're right, it sucks having to start with him.

What do you think of the new zebstrika and garbodor from breakpoint?
The problem with M Man decks is its inability to one-shot huge threats. Also with garchomp out now i think flash energy is more or less a staple for the deck.

What if we used the new darkrai EX with mega man? We could attach energies to something that can't be lysandre'd, like regirock promo, load up regirock, and sweep with manectric? It's just a thought though.

What about the new Jolteon EX? Since we can get it set up and it straight up negates all Basic attacks which is strong against most EX decks and Nightmarch.

We will definitely see Jolteon EX from Generations all over the place as soon as it is legal for play. I am expecting to see many max elixir / M Manectric varients out there. Not being able to take damage from your opponent's Basic Pokémon is a huge advantage.

Back