• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Gengar EX / Crobat

You're out of line

Aspiring Trainer
I'm pretty new to the TCG and built this Gengar/Crobat combo deck a couple days ago. It's a fun deck and seems like it could be pretty decent. I know it's not the greatest thing ever, just looking for some pointers on making it function a little better.

Ok so here's how it looks right now:

Pokemon (23)
  • 1 Gengar-EX (Phantom Forces)
  • 4 Gastly (Breakthrough)
  • 4 Gengar (Breakthrough)
  • 4 Zubat (Phantom Forces)
  • 3 Golbat (Phantom Forces)
  • 3 Crobat (Phantom Forces)
  • 2 Remoraid (Breakthrough)
  • 2 Octillery (Breakthrough)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (29)
  • 4 Rare Candy
  • 4 Level Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Super Scoop Up
  • 4 Dimension Valley
  • 2 Skyla
  • 3 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 2 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 AZ
Energy (8)
  • 4 Mystery Energy
  • 4 Psychic Energy
Strategy:

It's a bit of a pain getting everything going, but once it does it works pretty well. I put Octillery in to help move things along, but not sure if he's the best choice. With Dimension Valley only Breakthrough Gengar's attack costs any energy at all. Crobat and Breakthrough Gengar both have no retreat cost, and with mystery energy, neither does Gengar-EX. Super Scoop Up and AZ can get Remoraid or Octillery out of the active position if they're your only basic at the start, as well as letting Crobat reuse his ability and healing Gengar-EX.

So, yeah my biggest problem is actually getting everything going consistently. Maybe that's a pipe dream considering all the evolutions.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit: I took out Sacred Ash, 1 Skyla and a Sycamore and added in more bats, it seems to have helped.

Last edited:
I like the idea behind this deck. Escentially, when you evolve into a Crobat, it's a OHKO. Couple issues I see. No brigette? That's nice to get 3 bats on the board right away. Your strategy with Gengar is very reliant on Rare candy. If they're prized, your deck is over, so my suggestion would be to give you more options to ensure you can get a rare candy when you need it. (i.e. more skyla's or even a teammates (<-I like that card)) Additionally, 1 haunter wouldn't hurt to ensure that you can evolve at least 1 into Gengar. Also, not running any ultra balls kind of hurts and relies on luck to get those Gengar's out based on draws or Birtch and Sycamore and Octillery. I see a lot of people throwing Octillery in decks that use bats and my question is why?! You're basically limiting your bench for bats and gengars just so you can draw more cards? Why not just run Shaymin EX (expensive I know) or Shawna or more Sycamores?

Shaymin EX does make a lot more sense it this deck than Octillery. I did put a couple Haunter in to make Gengar easier to evolve, plus its ability can help stall while you set up. Didn't even think of Teammates or Brigette. I'll try some of the changes out when I can, I really appreciate the response.

I put in some Ultra Ball, and an extra Skyla and Sycamore. Still a little rough to get going, but it plays a lot more consistently than before, so thank you.

May i suggest taking out the gengar line and octillrly line and adding in wobbufet and and unown sacred ash draw engine also 2 more gengar and muscle band for a hit and run deck

Back