• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Fighting Spirit (Garchomp / Lucario EX)

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
FIGHTING SPIRIT

Pokémon (14):
  • 4 Garchomp (main attacker)
  • 2 Gabite (needed evolution)
  • 4 Gible (needed evolution)
  • 2 Lucario EX (attacker)
  • 2 Hawlucha (attacker)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (34):
  • 4 Professor Sycamore (draw)
  • 1 Giovanni’s Scheme (draw)
  • 1 Lysandre (control)
  • 4 Korrina (search)
  • 1 Startling Megaphone (discard)
  • 2 Battle Compressor (discard)
  • 3 Focus Sash (protection)
  • 3 Muscle Band (beatdown)
  • 1 Escape Rope (control)
  • 1 Sacred Ash (retrieval)
  • 4 Vs Seeker (retrieval)
  • 3 Rare Candy (evolve)
  • 3 Level Ball (search)
  • 3 Fighting Stadium (beatdown)
Energy (12):
  • 8 Fighting Energy
  • 4 Strong Energy
Strategy:

Start with either of the three attackers. Discard basic energies and use Korrina to evolve into Garchomp turn two. Attach Focus Sash to Garchomp and start to attack. Set up another Garchomp and Lucario Ex on the bench to ensure an endless stream of attacks. Use damage enhancers to allow the three attackers to knock out defending Pokémon in one or two hits.

Last edited:
IMO, playing 4 Korrina is excessive and will impede fast setup. I'd suggest for your consideration:

-1 Korrina
-1 Rare Candy

+2 Level Ball - will help get the Gibles and Gabites out faster and make subsequent Korrina play more effective

4 Lucario Ex is also excessive if you're running a 4-2-4 line of Garchomp.
Gio's is also pretty mediocre for draw support.

-1 Lucario Ex
-2 Giovanni's

+3 Trainer's mail

Hi TuxedoBlack,

Thanks for the review. I would like to stick with three Rare Candies but I will check out Level Ball instead of the fourth Korrina.

Hi rsoldhamn,

Thanks for the review. Giovanni's Scheme is used to boost damage and allow me to use Focus Sash on Garchomp to prolong their durability. I also considered to loose one Lucario Ex since he is mainly there as a secondary attacker and a draw engine but did not find any other usefull [F] basic that would complement this deck. Any ideas?

What does using Gio's have to do with the focus sash? You're going to be using Korrina and Sycamore heavily and most likely
won't have the luxury of using Gio's, running 2 lysandre never hurts.

Hawlucha works great with a focus sash. And the new Sudowoodu is a copy-cat attacker. Both also searchable with level ball, which
you will want in this deck.

Hi rsoldham,

Giovanni's Scheme allows Garchomp to ohko Mega Pokémon even with Focus Sash attached which allows the deck to go ahead in the prize race. It worked rather well for me thus far. Still unsure on the two options for the non-Ex [F] Basic. I like the attack of Sudowoodu a little more since there are several decks that work with a lower Pokémon Ex count now but Hawlucha has free retreat. Guess I will need to bite it an test both of them.

What about Maxie's Garchomp with Hawlucha and Sudowoodo? All non-EX, when Garchomp goes down, Sudowoodo revenge kills while Hawlucha provides defense and a pivot point with Focus Sash? Garchomp is a crazy Landorus FUF. Run Max Elixir so if you draw into one you might do 160 with Garchomp turn 1, and if it's before Maxie it simply work or it doesn't, it simply disappears from your hand. . . perfect, better than Acro Bike, or Unown, which I would bring in spades and Trainer's Mail, why not?
Max Elixir is the perfect foil for the Hidden Ball Trick, and discarding that second energy in your hand to Maxie's you're simply making Garchomp's first attack worthwhile. . .
excited.
Anyway, Donkichomp or not it would be awesome to have Garchomp turn 1 accelerating energy.

What about Maxie's Garchomp with Hawlucha and Sudowoodo? All non-EX, when Garchomp goes down, Sudowoodo revenge kills while Hawlucha provides defense and a pivot point with Focus Sash? Garchomp is a crazy Landorus FUF. Run Max Elixir so if you draw into one you might do 160 with Garchomp turn 1, and if it's before Maxie it simply work or it doesn't, it simply disappears from your hand. . . perfect, better than Acro Bike, or Unown, which I would bring in spades and Trainer's Mail, why not?
Max Elixir is the perfect foil for the Hidden Ball Trick, and discarding that second energy in your hand to Maxie's you're simply making Garchomp's first attack worthwhile. . .
excited.
Anyway, Donkichomp or not it would be awesome to have Garchomp turn 1 accelerating energy.
max elixer only works with basics

Hi fr33land,

Thanks for the review. A Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick built is not fater than a Korrina version but relies much more on items. From some test runs the Korrina version is more stable and ensures a turn two Garchomp. Like the idea to have no Pokémon Ex but the deck would need at least two Shaymin Ex and Lucario Ex can serve a similar role with his second attack and constitues a decent alternate attacker. Max Elixir is not that usefull in this deck since Garchomp does not benefit from it and he provides sufficient acceleration on his own.

Yes, sadly I understand that now about Max Elixir, thanks for pointing that out. It would still shrink your hand and possibly help out with the Hidden Ball mechanic, but going with Maxie's your likelihood of ever having more than one Garchomp is significantly reduced compared with your own list. Also you do point out an outrageous weak point for all the Archie's decks: over reliance on item based draw.
Question.
Will Garchomp's first attack retrieve Strong Energy from discard or not?
I think there is no doubt it will work on DCE or Plasma Energy, but what about the type specific special energies? I think yes. . . but I don't know.

Yes, sadly I understand that now about Max Elixir, thanks for pointing that out. It would still shrink your hand and possibly help out with the Hidden Ball mechanic, but going with Maxie's your likelihood of ever having more than one Garchomp is significantly reduced compared with your own list. Also you do point out an outrageous weak point for all the Archie's decks: over reliance on item based draw.
Question.
Will Garchomp's first attack retrieve Strong Energy from discard or not?
I think there is no doubt it will work on DCE or Plasma Energy, but what about the type specific special energies? I think yes. . . but I don't know.
it will work but only if there is a benched pokemon to attach to

Ok, the scan I see says verbatim:
Attach an energy card from you discard pile to 1 of your pokemon.

That's the awesome thing, Garchomp can accelerate to itself, I believe: It doesn't specifically say it must be a basic energy, nor does it say to a benched pokemon leading me to believe it can attach a Strong energy from discard to itself (since Garchomp is 1 of your pokemon).

This just keeps getting better and better. . .

Ok, the scan I see says verbatim:
Attach an energy card from you discard pile to 1 of your pokemon.

That's the awesome thing, Garchomp can accelerate to itself, I believe: It doesn't specifically say it must be a basic energy, nor does it say to a benched pokemon leading me to believe it can attach a Strong energy from discard to itself (since Garchomp is 1 of your pokemon).

This just keeps getting better and better. . .
i guess it is not benched pokemon had not gotten the card yet but i will be grabbing it

And what about Max Potion? You're running pokémon with low cost attacks, so you could try it. Imagine this situation: you KO a mega, they hit you with the new active (maybe a non EX) and left you with 10 HP (Focus sash). You can use Max Potion and attach a new Focus Sash to Garchomp, while still doing damage with its first attack. Maybe a Eco Arm could be a good addittion too in this context.

I'm quite interested in this deck, because of Manectric's weakness, and that it costs so low to attack, and has such an awesome effect. The only problem with this deck is obviously night march/vespiqueen, so a secondary attacker is needed. But I'm not so sure what that should be... Possibly hawlucha ex? It serves as a sort of a wall, and can discard the opponents stadium... That's also enough to ohko a vespi or shaming with a fighting fury belt. I think it could work, following the trend of the low energy cost

The only problem with this deck is obviously night march/vespiqueen, so a secondary attacker is needed. But I'm not so sure what that should be... Possibly hawlucha ex? It serves as a sort of a wall, and can discard the opponents stadium... That's also enough to ohko a vespi or shaming with a fighting fury belt. I think it could work, following the trend of the low energy cost

With Focus Sash, Lucario EX can deal with them quite well. Also, Hawlucha EX is still an EX pokémon.

Agree, in a pinch Lucario EX can attack for a single energy. Missile Jab can come in handy too, since Pumpkaboo is fighting resistant. It's often easy to get a Muscle Band and one Strong on Lucario EX and bypass that resistance, hit for 70.

Hi folks,

Revised the decklist and included a video with the older version of the deck.

Hi TheLunaticHypno.

Thanks for the review. Focus Sash is awesome in these matches and Lucario Ex is better than Hawlucha Ex since he can also draw and has all around better attacks.

Back