Discussion Defenses against Deliquent

This card would have been better if you drew x amount of cards for x amount/certain type of cards discarded in this way. I can just see this making Maxie's and Archie's decks OP.

Lol, they discard your hand down to 1 and then you Archie Blastoise.
Unlikely, as you'd have to be awfully lucky to have a VS Seeker/Jirachi-EX/Archie in your hand and a Blastoise in your discard, but if that happens, I would laugh. A lot. :p

The only way I can think to have a constant defense. Octillery gets you back to 5, Shaymin EX 6. People seem to be going away from heavy draw based supporters to more utility supporters and are letting items and Pokemon do the drawing. Isn't there a new Pokemon that ignores effects that target your hand?
A Marowak promo in Japan prevents only effects from attacks to your hand. Yes. Delinquent can be used.

If delinquent becomes really popular, maybe might increase the play of Octillery

I've only had it used against me one or two times but it's really not that damaging. In fact, it can be pretty advantageous (in a Bronzong deck, for example, or with Archie's as Yo-yos and fr33land mentioned). Because you get to choose what's going to the discard, it only REALLY matters when you have only 3 cards -- this way, the opponent takes away both your cards AND your ability to minimize the damage. It's not uncommon to have a VS Seeker or a Sycamore in your hand, so it's not that bad tbh.

Also yeah I dunno about the Unknown trick Camoclone mentioned. That's a lot of bench space for not that much draw support. Octillery on the other hand, is perfect as it's reusable and just all around decent (I won't say good yet ;) I haven't used it enough). With Unknown you'd have to worry about offering those prizes and Parallel City. Etc.

Anyway, I think it's going to be a good card, no doubt, but overall I think Delinquent is gonna be kind of a dud. /end useless crystal ball gazing

I've only had it used against me one or two times but it's really not that damaging. In fact, it can be pretty advantageous (in a Bronzong deck, for example, or with Archie's as Yo-yos and fr33land mentioned). Because you get to choose what's going to the discard, it only REALLY matters when you have only 3 cards -- this way, the opponent takes away both your cards AND your ability to minimize the damage. It's not uncommon to have a VS Seeker or a Sycamore in your hand, so it's not that bad tbh.

Also yeah I dunno about the Unknown trick Camoclone mentioned. That's a lot of bench space for not that much draw support. Octillery on the other hand, is perfect as it's reusable and just all around decent (I won't say good yet ;) I haven't used it enough). With Unknown you'd have to worry about offering those prizes and Parallel City. Etc.

Anyway, I think it's going to be a good card, no doubt, but overall I think Delinquent is gonna be kind of a dud. /end useless crystal ball gazing

Nice. What decks were the opponents running?

I think the real danger is ending your turn with 4 or less cards in hand. If that is not the case, I don't think Delinquent can hurt you that much (unless it is that Red Card wombo combo)
If you leave 3 cards, you're gonna have to rely on your draw for the turn. If you leave 4 cards, you're keeping only one, so not even an ultra ball for Shaymin can save you (assuming you only had ultra ball as a draw option). So... If possible, end your turn with at least 5 cards in hand (already counting prize draw). Besides that, I can't really think of a defense specifically for Delinquent besides putting more draw power on the deck.

The reason I'm not worried about Delinquent is that at the end of the day it's just another Team Flare Grunt or Crushing Hammer. They're both great cards (from your POV in-game) to play that fit in essentially every deck, so why doesn't everyone play them? Because there's generally not space for these cards (unless the deck is built around it). You wouldn't opt for a delinquent over that one extra Professor Sycamore you need, or the extra Ultra Ball to increase your reliability.

Though I guess that is just another discussion of Techs vs. Consistency, right?

Turn 1 delinquent Durant 61/106 flashfire ... * chip off - discards cards at random until you have 4 muwahaha

Currently im working on a Toad/hand denial deck myself that uses the red card deliquent combo. Since theres also alot of pokemon that work with that discard from the hand i'm gonna give the inkay(ROS) /malamar(AOR) thing a try. Inkay with the discard to finish the red card + deliquent no hand combo. And malamar to use trash tentacle to retrieve deliquents and gyms to keep repeating the discard process.

I feel like red card + deliquent are gonna be part of some type of archtype this season or next just gotta wait on the playtesting to happen.

I've been running a one off delinquent in all my decks. Pretty much, the card is playable on every turn. I like it more than Hex, just because trainers are so use to burrowing down to one, two, or three cards at every turn, and than ending their turn. With Ultra Ball you can draw support cards with Shaymin, with a delinquent play, you're more likely to set the opponent back for around three turns, sometimes the entire game. Hex sets them back for a turn, but delquient devastates a bit more.

Back