Discussion What Rogues are People Playing?

Asmer

Keep the High Tide on the Flipside
A houndoom/Bats counts as rogue?
I would imagine so. It isn't established as a Meta deck, but it does have some fairly decent match-ups, particularly Metal Ray and Bees (assuming you don't mill vs Metal Ray. I also find it interesting that two decks using Houndoom EX have vastly different match-ups against things like Night March and Metal Ray Ray. Gotta love how versatile this game is. <3).

Asmer

Also...

3 Treecko PRC
3 Grovyle PRC
3 Sceptile PRC (Non AT)
2 Trevenant EX
2 Shaymin EX
2 Spinarak AOR
2 Ariados AOR
1 Virizion AOR / Miltank FLF

4 Professor Sycamore
2 Lysandre
1 Pokemon Fan Club
1 Hex Maniac
1 Xerosic

4 Trainers' Mail
4 Ultra Ball
3 VS Seeker
3 Muscle Band
2 Switch / Escape Rope
2 Professor's Letter
1 Level Ball
1 Super Rod

4 Forest of Giant Plants

9 Grass Energy

I did a thing.
The strategy is a weird strategy combination of the old Keldeo Deluge decks and Hydregion Acceleration. The main difference is that A. Trevenant EX has...weird versatility in the sense that he can trap Pokemon in who are Poisoned via Ariados (without having to worry about Poison himself) and B. Sceptile not only accelerates... it heals. I suppose I could drop down to a 2-2-2 Line Up and add more Trevenant EX or something, but... I'm not sure. Still... this may be the first deck that may convince me in to splurging for Skymins. We'll see.

Last edited:

Hornleach1

Aspiring Trainer
I'm currently running the new Xerneas in a deck similar to rainbow. Its built with Xerneas being the attacker and a lot of defensive pokemon to stall, occasionally attack and add damage to Xerneas's Rainbow force attack.

Mao999

Aspiring Trainer
I would imagine so. It isn't established as a Meta deck, but it does have some fairly decent match-ups, particularly Metal Ray and Bees (assuming you don't mill vs Metal Ray. I also find it interesting that two decks using Houndoom EX have vastly different match-ups against things like Night March and Metal Ray Ray. Gotta love how versatile this game is. <3).

You're right indeed!
I'm waiting to play against a tyrantrum, just to try if it worth the time i've spent in the building! :D

neophenx

Pokemon Mentor
I'm currently running the new Xerneas in a deck similar to rainbow. Its built with Xerneas being the attacker and a lot of defensive pokemon to stall, occasionally attack and add damage to Xerneas's Rainbow force attack.
I'm also working with a Xerneas deck from Breakthrough, but not with stalling-Pokemon. I'm trying to build mine with all basic, non-EX Pokemon to get maximum use out of Brigette, and still have deck space for necessary trainers and energy. Sadly, though, it's impossible to fit in every type of Pokemon, and it's really hard to choose what types to include, as every Pokemon needs to have some purpose outside of just making Xerneas stronger. To just give a rough idea, I'll put down my picks. Overall, though, which Pokemon are included depends entirely on what I expect to go up against, so pre-tournament preparation is itself a huge roll of the dice. If I pack Pinsir and not Yveltal, then face zero Seismitoad and four Ghost-heavy decks, well that's how it goes.

It's also worth mentioning that the energy needs for this kind of deck are attrocious, so I suggest Exp Share to keep basic energy in check, and with Smeargle swapping for the type you actually need it's not so bad. That said, however, I took this to a store-tournament that was expanded and it fell flat to Hypnotoxic Laser when my opponent got nearly ALL of his KO's in between turns by poison, making this very much a Standard-only kind of deck. Didn't help that in that game my one-of Dedenne was prized (it was Yveltal), but that's how it goes sometimes.

Pinsir (Breakthrough), GCC for 100x2 to Seismitoad
Regice (AOr) because DUH, EX's are a nightmare
Smeargle (Breakthrough) Swaps basic energy, since I already use DCE and refuse to also use Rainbow
Dedenne (FuF) Doesn't need type energy, slaughters Yveltal/Rayquaza/Lugia, summons more Pokemon
Cresselia (Breakthrough) Free retreat with stadium, OHKO's non-megas on weakness with Muscle Band

Still searching...
Jirachi (Promo) would replace Registeel as type pick, Doesn't need type energy, says FU to special energy reliant decks

Also worth mentioning...
Yveltal (Breakthrough) shuts off tools (like spirit links) and can 2HKO a Shaymin as it sits on the bench
Registeel (AOr) disrupts EX

Asmer

Speaking of...
Does Golurk and Eeveelutions count towards that Xerneas's attack? If so, might be worth looking in to.

neophenx

Pokemon Mentor
Speaking of...
Does Golurk and Eeveelutions count towards that Xerneas's attack? If so, might be worth looking in to.
People suggested the Eevees, but since they are already those types I might as well just stick with Regice>Vaporeon and Dedenne>Jolteon. I don't have a fire type to use with the deck (considered AOr Entei with Ancient Trait but damage output too low to be much use), but the Golurk is an interesting idea. Granted, I was trying to avoid evolutions at all costs with the deck, but the fact that it becomes two types just by being in play, it might be worth a thought... I'd have to take out Cresselia to make room for another Psychic type but it's worth considering.

Funny enough, I did consider going totally ham with the deck and building an unlimited version of it with the Kechleon from one of the Platinum era sets that has a Pokebody that makes it 9 types: all except Dragon and Fairy (which didn't exist in cards at the time).

Asmer

Actually, Golurk, Flareon AOR, and Xerneas BRT would give you coverage vs everything meta sans primal groudon and ray ray, in which pri grou should lose to your speed and you can always tech Jolteon if M Ray is that big an issue. :3
...see, now I like this idea. Thanks a lot! XP

Oh, and you can tech Blacksmith. :D

neophenx

Pokemon Mentor
Actually, Golurk, Flareon AOR, and Xerneas BRT would give you coverage vs everything meta sans primal groudon and ray ray, in which pri grou should lose to your speed and you can always tech Jolteon if M Ray is that big an issue. :3
...see, now I like this idea. Thanks a lot! XP

Oh, and you can tech Blacksmith. :D
It would be, if Xerneas got boosted by Eeveelutions too. However, the Eevees only give type-bonus to stage 1 evolutions, so by that point you'd just be running a Golurk deck where the Xerneas becomes almost obsolete lol
It's not a bad idea, but it's a different deck altogether from the Xerneas tech that gets a HUGE benefit from Brigette's 3-basic-and-GO style of play.

OH And I almost forgot another super fun deck. I haven't seen much of it, so I think it might count as a rogue for now, is the Noivern Break, on top of the FuF Echolocation beast. I'm running it currently with Brigette and Unown for extra draw, and Exp. Share for energy consistency, and it's not so bad. Shrine of Memories allows you to use the new Noibat's Mysterious Beam when you're struggling for energy, and Parallel City can weaken enemy attacks when you're not worried about your own bench space since you run only a 4-4-3 Noivern line and 4 Unown.

Hornleach1

Aspiring Trainer
I'm also working with a Xerneas deck from Breakthrough, but not with stalling-Pokemon. I'm trying to build mine with all basic, non-EX Pokemon to get maximum use out of Brigette, and still have deck space for necessary trainers and energy. Sadly, though, it's impossible to fit in every type of Pokemon, and it's really hard to choose what types to include, as every Pokemon needs to have some purpose outside of just making Xerneas stronger. To just give a rough idea, I'll put down my picks. Overall, though, which Pokemon are included depends entirely on what I expect to go up against, so pre-tournament preparation is itself a huge roll of the dice. If I pack Pinsir and not Yveltal, then face zero Seismitoad and four Ghost-heavy decks, well that's how it goes.

It's also worth mentioning that the energy needs for this kind of deck are attrocious, so I suggest Exp Share to keep basic energy in check, and with Smeargle swapping for the type you actually need it's not so bad. That said, however, I took this to a store-tournament that was expanded and it fell flat to Hypnotoxic Laser when my opponent got nearly ALL of his KO's in between turns by poison, making this very much a Standard-only kind of deck. Didn't help that in that game my one-of Dedenne was prized (it was Yveltal), but that's how it goes sometimes.

Pinsir (Breakthrough), GCC for 100x2 to Seismitoad
Regice (AOr) because DUH, EX's are a nightmare
Smeargle (Breakthrough) Swaps basic energy, since I already use DCE and refuse to also use Rainbow
Dedenne (FuF) Doesn't need type energy, slaughters Yveltal/Rayquaza/Lugia, summons more Pokemon
Cresselia (Breakthrough) Free retreat with stadium, OHKO's non-megas on weakness with Muscle Band

Still searching...
Jirachi (Promo) would replace Registeel as type pick, Doesn't need type energy, says FU to special energy reliant decks

Also worth mentioning...
Yveltal (Breakthrough) shuts off tools (like spirit links) and can 2HKO a Shaymin as it sits on the bench
Registeel (AOr) disrupts EX
With my deck I use Hoopa to increase the number of types on my bench which often sets me up for a turn 2 210 damage using sky field. I also found that energy can be a problem but mega Manectric can help with that as I run only 2 rainbow energy and 8 basic lightning and fairy energy's.

neophenx

Pokemon Mentor
With my deck I use Hoopa to increase the number of types on my bench which often sets me up for a turn 2 210 damage using sky field. I also found that energy can be a problem but mega Manectric can help with that as I run only 2 rainbow energy and 8 basic lightning and fairy energy's.
Ah. My non-EX variant is using about 13 energy: 4 DCE, 3 fairy, and 2 each of other energy types depending on what Pokemon go in. With appropriate use of Compressors and Smeargle, it's not too bad, with Exp Share to salvage energy from KO's. I don't hit that 210 cap often, but a full bench of 5 types and Muscle Band still nets 180 when needed. Then there's the other support Pokemon depending on what's needed, like Regice for the ever-present EX threat. However, I feel that without a strong, reliable Fighting type, the deck will fail against primary competition. I'm thinking it needs Regirock to deal with Manectric, since it has the same (type)CC energy cost as the rest of the deck while landing an unassisted OHKO on M Man, and Seismitoad's not as popular these days leaving the main reason for Pinsir kind of moot. I guess I'm less "Power Xerneas!" and more "Xerneas if possible, otherwise toolbox with Smeargle Swapping." Brigette really makes the deck, though. Without her, it wouldn't even be possible without EX's and Hoopa.

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer
I just started playing a fun new deck. Though I'm still working on the trainers.

4 Deoxys
3-3-3 gengar
2/3 absol
2 shaymin

Start with Deoxys and draw turn 1 and then attack until it goes down. Move damage counters with absol's ability. Thenot finish with Gengar's attack.

Both attackers only require 1 energy with Dimension valley. The deck runs on standard draw support with Az ando scoop ups to reuse absol.

I think it might be one of the more consistent ways to use the new gengar. Since it has only basics and gengar.

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
Speaking of Smeargle, I'm going to be testing a Bronzong/Smeargle toolbox at League on Tuesday. Main attackers off the top of my head are Manectric-EX, Regice, Aegislash-EX and Regirock. Might consider Hawlucha for the cheap energy cost (though it doesn't OHKO Manectric like Regirock), or baby Yveltal for Night March weakness. Just going to see if the deck engine runs smoothly enough before teching for competitions, etc.

Numelz Numelz

Ariadoney Clear Nail Polish
I use spirit scream gouregeist with laser.
Also Fight Song Altaria giving +80 attack to delta plus dragonite. So Wrapped in Wind does 80 damage plus energy boost, and heavy impact for 230.

Yo-yos

DP and hoenn era, when tcg was dope
I thought I'd contribute a list

Pokemon: 25-26
2-2 pyroar
3 gengar EX
4-4 vespiquen
2-2 flareon
4 unkown
2 shaymin EX

energy: 9
4 DCE
2 fire energy
2 psychic

Trainers: 27
3 sycamore
1 birch
2 blacksmith
2 lysandre
4 vs seeker
4 battle compressor
2 faded town
2 float stone
1 profs letter
2 level ball
4 ultra ball

This is just a modified list from regionals which played deck and cover accelgor and a wobb, you can still add the wobb or a d valley if you'd like, I just liked faded town a bit better. I geuss you can call vespiquen tier, but this a completely different strategy to playing the deck.

LoneWolf2113

Now With Sablenite!
My favorite rogue deck for expanded is Bronzong BRE/ Forretress FLF/ Dusknoir BCR. I've been testing it online some and it's pretty fun and effective.

kingqazbatt

Aspiring Trainer
1 Glalie-EX BKT 34
4 Empoleon BKT 38
2 Regice AOR 24
2 Seismitoad-EX FFI 20

1 Rough Seas PRC 137
4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
1 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 159
4 Reserved Ticket BKT 147
4 Maintenance FFI 96
4 Acro Bike PRC 122
4 Ultra Ball FLF 99
4 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
1 Judge BKT 143
1 Lysandre FLF 104
2 Float Stone BKT 137
1 Dive Ball PRC 125
3 Archie's Ace in the Hole PRC 157
1 Red Card XY 124
4 VS Seeker PHF 109

4 Double Colorless Energy PHF 111
8 Water Energy HS 117

Took top 4 at city today with this deck

Cjman20

Aspiring Trainer
1 Glalie-EX BKT 34
4 Empoleon BKT 38
2 Regice AOR 24
2 Seismitoad-EX FFI 20

1 Rough Seas PRC 137
4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
1 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 159
4 Reserved Ticket BKT 147
4 Maintenance FFI 96
4 Acro Bike PRC 122
4 Ultra Ball FLF 99
4 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
1 Judge BKT 143
1 Lysandre FLF 104
2 Float Stone BKT 137
1 Dive Ball PRC 125
3 Archie's Ace in the Hole PRC 157
1 Red Card XY 124
4 VS Seeker PHF 109

4 Double Colorless Energy PHF 111
8 Water Energy HS 117

Took top 4 at city today with this deck

Could you explain a bit how the deck plays? I too have a archies seismitoad/empoleon deck but what are you trashing with all those battle compressors aside from the empolen and archies. Also if you play bee's are you just screwed?

kingqazbatt

Aspiring Trainer
Could you explain a bit how the deck plays? I too have a archies seismitoad/empoleon deck but what are you trashing with all those battle compressors aside from the empolen and archies. Also if you play bee's are you just screwed?
my bee matchup is fine as i move quite fast i trash all supporters with battle compressors and everything that can stop a late game archie later in the match judge is my best defense against bees as it stops them from being as consistent with the dce i consistently get out 3 empoleon which 1 hko bees