• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Blastoise / Keldeo EX for Seniors

Nick H.

Aspiring Trainer
I'm helping my 10-year-old (11 in late December) nephew put together his first deck. He already has a decent collection for someone his age, but he has more cards for Expanded, so after explaining to him the difference between Standard and Expanded with the fact that he would probably be able to make a better deck for the latter, he chose Expanded (he knows he will only be able to play in some tournaments with it). He doesn't know how to play yet, but I'm going to teach him. Since he is young and will be new to the game, I'm looking for something very simple and easy to play. Here's what I've come up with:

Pokémon (18):
  • 4 Squirtle (Boundaries Crossed)
  • 2 Wartortle (Boundaries Crossed)
  • 3 Blastoise (Boundaries Crossed)
  • 2 Remoraid (Plasma Blast)
  • 2 Octillery (BREAKthrough)
  • 3 Keldeo-EX (Boundaries Crossed)
  • 2 Mewtwo-EX (Next Destinies)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (27):
  • 3 Professor Juniper / Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Cheren / Tierno
  • 4 Dive Ball
  • 1 Master Ball (he already has it)
  • 3 Rare Candy
  • 2 Energy Retrieval
  • 1 Fisherman
  • 1 Switch
  • 2 Cilan
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Rough Seas
  • 2 N
Energy (15):
  • 15 Water Energy
Strategy:

I'm discouraged from including cards that present non-obvious options like Ultra Ball or Superior Energy Retrieval (choosing what to discard), or Skyla or VS Seeker (lots of choices), and I've also forewent the less simple strategy of Battle Compressor / Archie's Ace in the Hole. I think he should be able to do well enough without it in Seniors.

Comments/suggestions? Please don't say Shaymin-EX... I'm trying to keep this a relatively low-cost deck. Thanks!

You need Superior Energy Retrieval, or else the deck will run out easily. I am not going to say shayming EX, because you have octillery from breakthrough which is the same thing but lasts until it is knocked out. If no superior energy retrieval, take out 1 or 2 cheren/tierno and replace with normal energy retrieval.

just some notes. my son is basically same age. he's played in many tournaments and ran the classic Blastoise/Keldeo/Black Kyurem.
you have too much Energy. drop it to about 10-11.
you have to sacrifice everything to get Blastoise going.
don't worry about juniper'ing all your cards if you have to.
you need to pair float stone to go with your Keldeo.

you need to be careful of item locks (like Seismitoad EX).
maybe work in a Wally, Fan Club, or other Supporter to get pokemon.

its OK to start slow.... but you'll find that he will quickly be a good player.
so don't overly discourage the use of items like ultra ball or skyla or vs seeker.
my son can easily compete against Masters and have won a few side tournaments playing in mixed ages.
Seniors can be VERY competitive. many of them have spent years training in Juniors.
plus once he starts playing other strong players, he'll migrate over to the winning strategies and play.

Back