Discussion Which is a Better Partner for Bronzong? M Mewtwo-EX or Tyrantrum-EX?

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
So the Pokemon City Championships is coming up and I want to get your opinion on which card is better with Bronzong. (PHF)

XY8_EN_160.png
XYP_EN_XY70.png

M Mewtwo EX (Y) is a very good card and also very reminiscent of Yveltal EX's Evil Ball attack. This Pokemon can deal massive amounts of damage for 2 energy. It's speed is mediocre having to evolve it, but that is made up for with it's attack cost of 2 colorless energy. Even though it has a 2 energy attack, you can deal extra damage with Metal Links. This card cannot be one hit KO'd with Lysandre's normally.

Taking a look at Tyrantrum-EX we see a massive 4 energy attack cost. It is a basic Pokemon and with the support from Bronzong's Metal Links and Double Dragon Energy, you might be able to set it up the moment you put it up on the bench.

I love both of these cards, but I can't pick one. I also can't use both because I don't have the space.

Thanks for taking a look at my thread!

-Gengar ~OvO~

While the attack cost for Tyrantrum is high, its Ability means you can just nuke most non-Mega Pokemon in one hit without caring about any effects on them- so, Aegislash or Regice, for example. The discard cost is pretty high if you need to get rid of the Double Dragon energy, but with Bronzong you can stack 3 Metal Energy on Tyrantrum and just use that for the discard cost instead. Tyrantrum is just an out to most things your opponent can throw its way.

I'm not really sold on this Mewtwo yet, it seems unreliable to set up a big Mega and then rely on your opponent's Pokemon having enough energy on them to hit big numbers. Plus, it gets shut down by Giratina, potentially Aegislash, Regice...it seems like a decent card, but not a great one.

So, I recommend Tyrantrum.

Honestly, you could go with 3 tyrantrums and a 1-1 line of mewtwo, but thats just me. Also, I don't know about regice, but it has lost most of it's speedwithout Blastoise, but play Mewtwo with silent lab and you got a winner, but both are good, and like Ms. Hugo said, Mewtwo does have alot of dependency on your opponent, and decks like my Sceptile that require so little energy will walk all over it. Now with Tyrantrum, Keldeo is gone, so your gonna have to rely on a evolution (Zoroark in mind) to get Tyrantrum out of the active, put the energies on, and then run away to be able to attack every turn, but looking at all the new cards that may become meta, your best chance, I'm in agreeance to Ms Hugo on this, is Tyrantrum. Hope this helps in planning your strategy for cities

Honestly, you could go with 3 tyrantrums and a 1-1 line of mewtwo, but thats just me. Also, I don't know about regice, but it has lost most of it's speedwithout Blastoise, but play Mewtwo with silent lab and you got a winner, but both are good, and like Ms. Hugo said, Mewtwo does have alot of dependency on your opponent, and decks like my Sceptile that require so little energy will walk all over it. Now with Tyrantrum, Keldeo is gone, so your gonna have to rely on a evolution (Zoroark in mind) to get Tyrantrum out of the active, put the energies on, and then run away to be able to attack every turn, but looking at all the new cards that may become meta, your best chance, I'm in agreeance to Ms Hugo on this, is Tyrantrum. Hope this helps in planning your strategy for cities

Personally I'd run a 2-2 line of Mewtwo-EX, just for the fact that if it's your backup attacker and one of the three cards (inc. spirit link) is in your prize cards you could potentially be in trouble.

Mewtwo is a like a slower Ray that requires you to draw into a spirit link. I would definitely play Tyrantrum in this comparison.

faded town, muscle band and tyrantrum wins this matchup on speed alone.

Ultimately neither, the best is giratina, tina has generally better synergy with bronzong and offer better synergy for turn after turn.

Interestingly enough, I would think one would need to also consider the "supporting cast" (i.e., complimentary/supporting Pokemon, Supporters, Items, energy mix, etc.) of each particular Bronzong-main attacker(s) option. There may be some significant positives/negatives in each complete "deck package" that will sway your decision.

In the testing I've done with the card is that it's really fast. It is an easier and faster setup than tyrntrum. Usually you can put down a Mega mewtwo on turn two with a DCE. Now it's just about escape rope, lysanders, and Hex Maniacs. It's not about knock out power its about really quick pressure. Because the card is hitting for 70 dmg on it's own, you are able to take down baby cards or put pressure on bigger pokemon. With 2 DCE on turn three, your hitting 13ohp. Another Mega Mewtwo, Ageislash, heatran, seismitoad, and jeriachi - (promo) on the bench with a bronzong -- really puts pressure on the opponent very fast that are relying on special energies.

Both decks are really good, but I do think when trainers realize the ease of the deck there will be different views on the card. Right now, I think trainers are a little discouraged by the weakness issue with the card, but honestly the card is hitting so hard so fast that it doesn't matter.

Night march because it autowin's both and is an added mechanic.

@Yo-yos Nightmarch is a great deck! Though, Jeriachi - Promo and Agislash are giving it a run for it's money. I've seen a few players scoop because they prized their hex maniac and the opponent only threw down a Ageislash. Jeriachi - promo doesn't even mater if bunbly gets the DCE back out. The opponent usually can work around it by the time that is happening. And unless a perfect draw happens with the night march deck, Seismitoad can still throw a curve ball at the deck in early game. Xerosic is always a good counter too if the opponent is continually digging for DV. The nice thing about M MewTwo EX is that the deck can be paired with all these counters for the matchup. I could see night march decks possibly being shoved to a tier 3 deck because of the hard counters. But, ya, I still agree that Night March is strong in tournament style play because it comes down to the match ups.

Last edited:
In the testing I've done with the card is that it's really fast. It is an easier and faster setup than tyrntrum. Usually you can put down a Mega mewtwo on turn two with a DCE. Now it's just about escape rope, lysanders, and Hex Maniacs. It's not about knock out power its about really quick pressure. Because the card is hitting for 70 dmg on it's own, you are able to take down baby cards or put pressure on bigger pokemon. With 2 DCE on turn three, your hitting 13ohp. Another Mega Mewtwo, Ageislash, heatran, seismitoad, and jeriachi - (promo) on the bench with a bronzong -- really puts pressure on the opponent very fast that are relying on special energies.

Both decks are really good, but I do think when trainers realize the ease of the deck there will be different views on the card. Right now, I think trainers are a little discouraged by the weakness issue with the card, but honestly the card is hitting so hard so fast that it doesn't matter.

I believe that the new Smeargle from BKT makes it easier to power Tyrantrum in a way that Mewtwo-EX can go down before getting the chance to Mega evolve, or if Mewtwo has already gone Mega, Mega Mewtwo-EX could go down after Faded Town activation, or even Muscle Band + Dragon Impact, before it has a chance to use Psychic Infinity: If you have only Metal Energy left that is not discarded, you can Metal Links to get Tyrantrum-EX to 4 Metal Energies attached, switch it in(Recoat only works on Actives), then Recoat one of the Linked Metals to get a Fighting to replace one of the Metal Energy, bam! After a little bit of energy fishing and replacing, as long as Bronzong is in play and Smeargle is on bench, on the turn Tyrantrum is put down and one attachment of energy from hand for turn + 3 Metal Links(from Bronzong) uses, and if necessary, 1 Recoat(from Smeargle) use on put-down turn, Tyrantrum-EX is M-Mewtwo-EX's worst nightmare if its attack is used on it, meaning Tyrantrum must be a better Bronzong partner than Mega Mewtwo, and those that use Mega Mewtwo-EX against Tyrantrum-EX will pay the price of losing their Mega to the KO and two prizes drawn by their foe. Here's the math: 190 damage(Dragon Impact) + 20(Faded Town or Muscle Band) = Minimum damage required to KO M Mewtwo-EX: 210 HP...

Last edited:
I agree it is a tough match up. But with zorak in the mix, combined with parallel city, it can slow the Tyrantrum deck down a bit. Basically u trade power for speed. Tyrantrum charge is a 4 off charge, if the bench cannot set up Tyrantrum becomes a tough play. It's one of the reason gallade zorak Is doing well. The thing with mewtwo is that bronzong is the icing on the cake, Where with Tyrantrum bronzong is a necessity. Deffinitly different styles of play I just think that because competitive play is so fast that I would go with speed v power. But I do agree that Tyrantrum it is a very good deck and with a good setup it can hit hard. The new versions of the deck I'm seeing tested out there is the bronzong, mewtwo, zorak parallel city deck. It can toss some monkey wrenches in other decks.

I think it all comes down to expanded or standard. If standard, I would go with mega mewtwo. In expanded, I would go with tyrantrum. What tyrantrum decks need are not in standard, rather expanded. (EX: keldeo-EX and walls.)

Back