• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Machamp EX / Ariados

HitagiCrab

Aspiring Trainer
Was looking for some suggestions/advice on my Machamp EX ❤ Ariados deck. I just started playing again after quitting when HGSS cycled, so I'm not 100% aware of the entire Standard card pool.

Pokemon: 14

• 3 Machamp EX
  • 3 Landorus FF
  • 2 Hawlucha FF
  • 2-2 Ariados AOR
  • 2 Shaymin EX
Items/Supporters/Stadiums: 34
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Korrina
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Shauna
  • 1 Judge
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2 Trainer's Mail
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 3 Scorched Earth
  • 2 Fighting Stadium
Energy: 12
  • 4 Strong Energy
  • 8 Fighting Energy
Strategy:

The deck is pretty self-explanatory; use Ariados to afflict your Machamp and opponent's active with Poison and hit them for 160+10, landing OHKOs on lots of EX Pokemon. Use Strong Energy/Muscle Band/Fighting Stadium as needed to OHKO with Machamp even after resistance against things like Lugia EX, Gengar EX, and even some Megas. Use Scorched Earth/Ultra Ball/Sycamore to fuel Landorus' Shout of Power to accelerate Energy. Use Hawlucha as a pivot and means to quick and heavy damage pressure to EX Pokemon.

Edits:

• -1 Korrina
  • -1 Muscle Band
  • -1 VS Seeker
  • -2 Escape Rope
  • -1 Professor's Letter
  • -1 Enhanced Hammer
  • -1 Super Scoop Up
  • -1 Scorched Earth
  • +2 Shauna
  • +2 Float Stone
  • +2 Trainer's Mail
  • +1 Ultra Ball
  • +2 Fighting Stadium
Thank you for your feedback!

Last edited:
Don't forget to add a couple of Focus Sash, they are great for both Machamp and Hawlucha. The first attack of Machamp, after Focus Sash save him with 10HP, will be hitting a whooping 340 of damage!!!

And giving the low HP of Hawlucha you could be attacking twice with him, which could be at least 120 of damage to an EX for just one energy (160 if you have Fighting Stadium, 200 if you also used Strong Energy, 220 if you also used a Muscle Band after the Focus Sash was discarded :) )

Don't forget to add a couple of Focus Sash, they are great for both Machamp and Hawlucha. The first attack of Machamp, after Focus Sash save him with 10HP, will be hitting a whooping 340 of damage!!!

And giving the low HP of Hawlucha you could be attacking twice with him, which could be at least 120 of damage to an EX for just one energy (160 if you have Fighting Stadium, 200 if you also used Strong Energy, 220 if you also used a Muscle Band after the Focus Sash was discarded :) )
Is Focus Sash really worth playing? I would say most things don't OHKO Machamp anyway, so wouldn't it just be a waste? For Hawlucha, sure, it saves him, but I'm not really concerned with whether he lives or doesn't. Landing 60-80 damage is good enough for Machamp to clean up on the next turn since Hawlucha most likely wouldn't have gotten the 2HKO anyway. Also, isn't the Bat line pretty popular? That completely screws Focus Sash.

You're right, Focus Sash Isn't a necessity, Although playing 2 of them can be nice to get a 2HKO with Hawlucha. This rarely happens though. Pokémon with fighting weakness like Manectric EX/Mega Manectric could be a 2HKO. But they have a bad match-up anyway.

You might have problem with retreating your Pokémon. Playing only Escape Ropes can be a nuisance. Why? because your opponent chooses which of his Pokémon becomes It's active, also 2 is not sufficient. If an uncharged Machamp is forced to the active spot by a lysandre. It might be stuck for a while and you lose precious time.
Here's a suggestion, I know you already play a lot of tool cards but this one is important:
Float Stone got a reprint, it's great because you will have free retreat costs for the rest of the game. (Well except if your opponent plays a Startling Megaphone or Xerosic) Attach Float Stone to the right Pokémon and switch/Escape Rope become almost unnecessary. Thought I would recommend playing an additional Switch just in case.

Head Ringer is great, but not efficient all around, Some popular Non EX decks like Vespiqueen, Raichu and Regice rely on Double Colorless Energy. Sadly you can only attach Head Ringer to EX Pokémon. that's why many people prefer Enhanced Hammer.

Silent Lab is good, but this deck has better stadiums to play, Fighting Stadium to increase damage output and Scorching Earth for draw power and to get Fighting Energies in the discard pile. I recommend playing a combination of them. 3-2 or 2-3

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Welcome back.

I too have been running a Machamp-Ariados deck for awhile now; it is quite competitive. Following are some comments for your consideration:

First of all, I concur with @Robin Aisaga comments in that I have not found Focus Sash to be that "critical" vs. other cards; Silent Lab can be amazing when you drop it at a critical time to disrupt your opponent; and Head Ringers can be really annoying, but can also be countered and not of much help against certain top decks.

Although it has the same Weakness as Machamp EX, Lucario EX has been a real asset to my deck.

Without running DCEs in my deck, I do not run more than 1 Shaymin EX - I have not found a good enough reason to replace my current card-drawing engine with a 2nd Shaymin EX and these become more of a liability as the game progresses.

When Korrina first was released, I ran 4 in my deck at the time. I soon found from that experience that since Korrina is a Supporter, it started "clogging" my normal card-drawing engine. I'd suggest not running more than 1, increase your Ultra Ball count (which also helps with getting energy into your discard pile for Landorus' Shout of Power attack, and increase your Supporter card-drawing engine (which can't be Item-locked) nor disrupted should your opponent replaces Scorched Earth (and you don't have immediate access to another one).

Instead of Scorched Earth, I run Fighting Stadium in order to get the extra damage output boost on opponents' EX Pokémon - which is HUGE in certain match-ups.

Following are some suggested deck changes for your consideration:

-1 Shaymin EX
-3 Korrina
-2 Escape Rope - not critical, plus room is needed for higher priority cards - IMO
-1 Professor's Letter - 1 is sufficient, IMO
-1 Super Scoop Up - only 50% chance of success
-4 Scorched Earth

+1 Lucario EX
+1 Ultra Ball
+4 Professor Birch's Observation - Supporter-based card-draw
+1 Giovanni's Scheme - Supporter-based card-draw / extra damage output boost
+1 AZ - Pokémon recovery (especially Shaymin EX which you coud then replay)
+4 Fighting Stadium

Other considerations:

Battle Compressor - can be used as an alternate means to "dump" energy and Supporters
Trainer's Mail - helps to search for needed Trainer
I hope you find these comments helpful.

Last edited:
Pokemon 15

1X Lucario EX
3X machamp ex
3X landorus
2x Ariados
2X Spinarak
2X hawlucha (Furious Fists)
2X shaymin ex

Trainers 34

4X sycamore
4X Korrina
2X Lysandre
2X birch's Observation
1X Ace Trainer
1x hex maniac
3x VS Seeker
3X Trainer Mail
2X Professor letter
2X Level ball
2X Ultra Ball
2X Switch
2X Focus Sash
2X Exp. Share
2X Fighting Stadium

Energy 11

7X fighting Energy
4X Strong Energy

I was playing this list and i think that the Exp.Share is very useful in this deck!
Just to pass over your precious energy if a pokèmon dies!

-1 Shaymin EX
-3 Korrina
-2 Escape Rope - not critical, plus room is needed for higher priority cards - IMO
-4 Scorched Earth
Why Korrina? And all scorched earth?

You're right, Focus Sash Isn't a necessity, Although playing 2 of them can be nice to get a 2HKO with Hawlucha. This rarely happens though. Pokémon with fighting weakness like Manectric EX/Mega Manectric could be a 2HKO. But they have a bad match-up anyway.

You might have problem with retreating your Pokémon. Playing only Escape Ropes can be a nuisance. Why? because your opponent chooses which of his Pokémon becomes It's active, also 2 is not sufficient. If an uncharged Machamp is forced to the active spot by a lysandre. It might be stuck for a while and you lose precious time.
Here's a suggestion, I know you already play a lot of tool cards but this one is important:
Float Stone got a reprint, it's great because you will have free retreat costs for the rest of the game. (Well except if your opponent plays a Startling Megaphone or Xerosic) Attach Float Stone to the right Pokémon and switch/Escape Rope become almost unnecessary. Thought I would recommend playing an additional Switch just in case.

Head Ringer is great, but not efficient all around, Some popular Non EX decks like Vespiqueen, Raichu and Regice rely on Double Colorless Energy. Sadly you can only attach Head Ringer to EX Pokémon. that's why many people prefer Enhanced Hammer.

Silent Lab is good, but this deck has better stadiums to play, Fighting Stadium to increase damage output and Scorching Earth for draw power and to get Fighting Energies in the discard pile. I recommend playing a combination of them. 3-2 or 2-3

I hope this helps.
Yes, I bought some Float Stones with the intention of putting in around 2 of them, but ended up just playing the 4 Muscle Bands. It is definitely good for Machamp's high retreat cost, or even just on Ariados/Landorus if I haven't gotten Hawlucha out to pivot. Will definitely put 2 in now to try it out, probably by dropping a Muscle Band and an Escape Rope.
Originally, I was going to play 2 Fighting Stadium and 3 Scorched Earth, but decided to try and get Landorus going as consistently as possible, hence 4 Scorched Earth and 2 Professor's Letter. I will try out the Fighting Stadiums.

Thank you for your response!
Welcome back.

I too have been running a Machamp-Ariados deck for awhile now; it is quite competitive. Following are some comments for your consideration:

First of all, I concur with @Robin Aisaga comments in that I have not found Focus Sash to be that "critical" vs. other cards; Silent Lab can be amazing when you drop it at a critical time to disrupt your opponent; Head Ringers can be really annoying, but can also be countered and not of much help against certain top decks.

Although it has the same Weakness as Machamp EX, Lucario EX has been a real asset to my deck.

Without running DCEs in my deck, I do not run more than 1 Shaymin EX - I have not found a good enough reason to replace my current card-drawing engine with a 2nd Shaymin EX and these become more of a liability as the game progresses.

When Korrina first was released, I ran 4 in my deck at the time. I soon found from that experience that since Korrina is a Supporter, it started "clogging" my normal card-drawing engine. I'd suggest not running more than 1, increase your Ultra Ball count (which also helps with getting energy into your discard pile for Landorus' Shout of Power attack, and increase your Supporter card-drawing engine (which can't be Item-locked) nor disrupted should your opponent replaces Scorched Earth (and you don't have immediate access to another one).

Instead of Scorched Earth, I run Fighting Stadium in order to get the extra damage output boost on opponents' EX Pokémon - which is HUGE in certain match-ups.

-1 Shaymin EX
-3 Korrina
-4 Scorched Earth

+1 Lucario EX
+1 Ultra Ball
+4 Professor Birch's Observation - Supporter-based card-draw
+1 Giovanni's Scheme - Supporter-based card-draw / extra damage output boost
+1 AZ - Pokémon recovery (especially Shaymin EX which you coud then replay)
+4 Fighting Stadium

Other considerations:

Battle Compressor - can be used as an alternate means to "dump" energy and Supporters
Trainer's Mail - helps to search for needed Trainer
I hope you find these comments helpful.
I have seen other people run 1-2 Lucario, and I honestly like the idea. However, I really don't like the additional weakness to Psychic. I will still take it into consideration, though. I need to buy one.

I considered initially using only 1 Shaymin EX, however, after playing a few games and seeing one prized frequently, it made me completely rethink the idea. Yes, the 2nd one is usually useless and/or much riskier to play, but you can just Sycamore it away. Playing 2 if you have them is never bad, in my opinion.

I have experienced Korrina clogging sometimes. After the first one or two, you no longer really need Pokemon, but it is still great to search for specific items (unless you are item locked, of course). I have never considered dropping it to a single copy, though. I don't think I can agree with that. I also don't feel like I need to be adding more Supporter cards; I think 15 is too many in this deck.

Removing Scorched Earth completely isn't so bad, but I would definitely need to be playing some number of Battle Compressors to make up for the Energy ditch. I was initially using 1 AZ over the Scoop Up but I dislike the fact that he trashes everything attached to the Pokemon. I've always wanted to put in a 3rd Ultra Ball so I will try to figure out how to get that in..

Pokemon 15

1X Lucario EX
3X machamp ex
3X landorus
2x Ariados
2X Spinarak
2X hawlucha (Furious Fists)
2X shaymin ex

Trainers 34

4X sycamore
4X Korrina
2X Lysandre
2X birch's Observation
1X Ace Trainer
1x hex maniac
3x VS Seeker
3X Trainer Mail
2X Professor letter
2X Level ball
2X Ultra Ball
2X Switch
2X Focus Sash
2X Exp. Share
2X Fighting Stadium

Energy 11

7X fighting Energy
4X Strong Energy

I was playing this list and i think that the Exp.Share is very useful in this deck!
Just to pass over your precious energy if a pokèmon dies!
I prefer Judge to Ace Trainer big time. I don't really feel like so many Trainer's Mail are needed with Korrina there to give you whatever item you want. EXP Share is a pretty good idea; I will pick some up to try it out. Playing 4-5 Stadium if you can is pretty standard nowadays so you don't lose the Stadium war.

Last edited:
Assuming the above is your most current list after your 11/22 edits, the list seems more balanced. Nice job. Also, the Korrinas will have nice synergy with Scorched Earth Stadiums: some card-draw can be done via this Stadium while playing a needed a Korrina to search and get a F Poké.

Although it has the same Weakness as Machamp, IMO, Lucario EX is still worthy of inclusion for several reasons: 1) it can attack for just F energy cost and Missle Jab gets through Resistance (helps against Pumpkaboos a lot); 2) its Corkscrew Smash attack has absolutely been clutch in games I've had - inflicting 60-120 damage PLUS restocking your hand up to 6 cards can be amazing; and 3) the only Psychic deck I expect to encounter is M Mewtwo EX which has an autowin (IMO) against this deck anyways. IMO, Lucario EX's positives outweigh its negatives. Suggested change (last time I'll plug Lucario EX - lol) for your consideration:

-1 Shaymin EX (or Scorched Earth)
+1 Lucario EX

Why the Float Stones? I suspect you might use a FS to remove a Pokémon (e.g., Machamp EX) out of the active in order to promote a different one (e.g., Landorus) early game; but, that FS would block the attachment of a much needed Muscle Band later. I'd suggest replacing these with Switch instead. Another advantage Switch has it that it can still be used to bench your active Pokémon when your active Pokémon is Asleep or Paralyzed, unlike Float Stone. Suggested changes for your consideration:

-2 Float Stone
+1 Switch and +1 Pokémon Center Lady
- or -
+2 Switch

Are you finding 8 F energy are sufficient? With your use of Scorched Earth, it seems you would consume your F energy possibly faster than you can get them attached, thus relying on Landorus to provide energy-attachment acceleration at some unopportune times... Might an Energy Retrieval help too or just 1-2 additional F energy?

What is your thought on replacing a Landorus with a Melloeta? I know it does not have the attack that Landorus does which is unfortunate, But it does allow you to energy ramp a lot faster moving 2 energy per turn instead of 1. If you can battle comp or scorched earth out energy early game if feel like that might put you in a better set up position.

What is your thought on replacing a Landorus with a Melloeta? I know it does not have the attack that Landorus does which is unfortunate, But it does allow you to energy ramp a lot faster moving 2 energy per turn instead of 1. If you can battle comp or scorched earth out energy early game if feel like that might put you in a better set up position.
Meloetta only attaches energy to itself, so this would not work.

Maybe you could consider to cut one Professor Sycamore for a battle compressor.
Sure it would be a all hated "one of card" but that isn't very hurtful with your Korrinas

With battle compressor you would be able to discard some fighting energy or supporter for later use.
So you could get your Hex Maniac or Lysandre in time via VS Seeker

Back