P!P/Rules Will Worlds 2016 be in Expanded?

thegrovylekid

Makes fake cards
This is an interesting question. So far, more big events have been scheduled for the "alternate" expanded format than the "standard" format. With this in mind, will the most important event, worlds 2016, be in Expanded?

The regional tournaments are expanded because players have been complaining about switching decks for multiple days so they are changing it up a bit. Most likely States, Nationals, Worlds, Winter and Spring regional tournaments will all be in the expanded format for all of the tournament.

Here's your likely answer. It may be last year's, but if last year's format holds, which is likely, chances are it will not be expanded, but Standard, this year too...

Also, to those who think all States and Nationals are Expanded this year...

I want to say yes, but it really isn't an important question right now. There's still 3 more sets we are getting before Worlds, which we don't even know the point structure for at the moment. Until we get those cards, knowing if World's is expanded is irrelevant.

I want to say yes, but it really isn't an important question right now. There's still 3 more sets we are getting before Worlds, which we don't even know the point structure for at the moment. Until we get those cards, knowing if World's is expanded is irrelevant.
Elbow is right, we should not worry about it right now we should worry about the events that are going on or that are close to come, and right now we should have are attention on city championships.

I think that it is gonna be like all greater tournaments like The European Challenge Cup and national championships.

Elbow is right, we should not worry about it right now we should worry about the events that are going on or that are close to come, and right now we should have are attention on city championships.

True, but out of my curiosity, if only a little early, I found the final answer to the "Is Worlds 2016 expanded or standard?" question...

^ Answer located here...

Now that the answer's given, time to focus and build to get there, with states and nationals to focus on to reach Worlds... :)

Last edited:
I hope worlds will not be in expanded: stop with this freaking BW era.

As cardgjammer says above you, it's confirmed standard (though they only said it was confirmed, not that it was standard).

For anyone not wanting to dig through:
Pokémon TCG Tournament Structure
The tournament is run in three phases over three days. The number of Swiss rounds will depend on total attendance at the event. Swiss rounds will use the best-of-three game format. All three phases will use the Standard format for card legality.

Back