Discussion Glalie EX Strategy

poke4trade

Raising Ash
I feel that Galalie EX is actually better then the Mega counter part. I think you might be able to play it with Lapras xy and charge the pokemon up quickly. With a combination of Lapras, Judge and Battle Reporter it is quite achievable to be attacking on 2nd round. If a Muscle Band is in place, Galalie could KO some 170 HP Pokemon like Lugia quickly and efficiently. I could see a Zoroark being a good friend in this type of scheme. Switching between Lapras and Glalie might end up in some good results.

A penny for your thoughts on the strategies.

Jambsz

Aspiring Trainer
I'd say that the fact that Judge exists makes Glalie EX playable. But what I think most people are forgetting is that the Mega should be used as more of an optional tech. I'd say run a single spirit link and the Mega, that way if your Glalie stacks up on too many damage counters and happens to have no tool on it already, you can easily turn it into a big mouth killer.

Also I'd suggest a Lapras for access to attacks outside of DCE.

poke4trade

Raising Ash
I'd say that the fact that Judge exists makes Glalie EX playable. But what I think most people are forgetting is that the Mega should be used as more of an optional tech. I'd say run a single spirit link and the Mega, that way if your Glalie stacks up on too many damage counters and happens to have no tool on it already, you can easily turn it into a big mouth killer.

Also I'd suggest a Lapras for access to attacks outside of DCE.

Ya that is what I'm thinking too. I think Mind Jack attack from zorak would complement the deck too. Laparas can attach to him if he calls for it for a second attacker. What you think of Trick coin on laparas?

Asmer

Keep the High Tide on the Flipside
The thing I like about M Glalie EX is the fact that there are multiple ways to set up his attack for the extra damage, from playing Faded Town to Ariados to something like Hard Charm to ensure he survives OHKOs from things that try to set up for them. Personally, I like playing him with Ariados because it allows you to A. Slowly set up to 10 counters, which can be controlled alongside Rough Seas (remember that Rough Seas is an activation, not mandatory!) and B. Poisons your Opponent's Pokemon most (note: most) times, allowing you to OHKO much easier.

As far as Lapras goes... you really do not need her as more than a 1-of. Also, I would personally use Delta Articuno, Regice, or something with a low Energy Cost as a secondary attacker. This allows you to set up your M Glalie EX's a lot safer, which allows you to also set up Cryo Mouth plays if you decide to go with Faded Town over Ariados + Rough Seas. With that in mind, M Glalie EX is not that slow to set up, but is not an easy concept to work with, either. You have to be very careful with how you set it up if you decide to use Faded Town since they can simply Lysandre a benched M Glalie EX for an easy Knock Out. It really is easier to use Ariados + Rough Seas, but keep in mind that you can only set up one M Glalie EX at a time (which may not be an issue overall) and it is a lot slower of a process in most cases.

Still, I believe M Glalie EX is very viable. It will take more thinking, but it should be a strong deck IMO.

poke4trade

Raising Ash
The thing I like about M Glalie EX is the fact that there are multiple ways to set up his attack for the extra damage, from playing Faded Town to Ariados to something like Hard Charm to ensure he survives OHKOs from things that try to set up for them. Personally, I like playing him with Ariados because it allows you to A. Slowly set up to 10 counters, which can be controlled alongside Rough Seas (remember that Rough Seas is an activation, not mandatory!) and B. Poisons your Opponent's Pokemon most (note: most) times, allowing you to OHKO much easier.

As far as Lapras goes... you really do not need her as more than a 1-of. Also, I would personally use Delta Articuno, Regice, or something with a low Energy Cost as a secondary attacker. This allows you to set up your M Glalie EX's a lot safer, which allows you to also set up Cryo Mouth plays if you decide to go with Faded Town over Ariados + Rough Seas. With that in mind, M Glalie EX is not that slow to set up, but is not an easy concept to work with, either. You have to be very careful with how you set it up if you decide to use Faded Town since they can simply Lysandre a benched M Glalie EX for an easy Knock Out. It really is easier to use Ariados + Rough Seas, but keep in mind that you can only set up one M Glalie EX at a time (which may not be an issue overall) and it is a lot slower of a process in most cases.

Still, I believe M Glalie EX is very viable. It will take more thinking, but it should be a strong deck IMO.

I like a lot of those ideas. I didn't think of using Ariados and rough seas together. It is a good suggestion.

The major issue I have is the setup of M Glalie. It requires the dce for second turn. I think Agislash and Regice will put the deck on the defense to fast, which will force a slower moving deck. With the deck already bogged down in spirit links, Megas, and rough seas, the deck will start the Sycamore process for the energies. If the deck is unable to capture the energies, the opponent receives a stronger chance of just Lysandering the card out. Agislash is a one hit knock out with a muscle band on Glalie (Weakness) and Dialga stops the defending from attacking with a (120hp hit). I feel like the deck needs a switching card to be viable.

Asmer

I like a lot of those ideas. I didn't think of using Ariados and rough seas together. It is a good suggestion.

The major issue I have is the setup of M Glalie. It requires the dce for second turn. I think Agislash and Regice will put the deck on the defense to fast, which will force a slower moving deck. With the deck already bogged down in spirit links, Megas, and rough seas, the deck will start the Sycamore process for the energies. If the deck is unable to capture the energies, the opponent receives a stronger chance of just Lysandering the card out. Agislash is a one hit knock out with a muscle band on Glalie (Weakness) and Dialga stops the defending from attacking with a (120hp hit). I feel like the deck needs a switching card to be viable.

I haven't run in to too many Dialga EX personally, but a loaded Aegislash would be quite the nasty end. I agree: We would have to either run M Glalie EX as more of a control shell like one would with Primal Groudon (which is quite possible, speaking you have to slowball M Glalie EX anyway for the maximum damage) or we would have to play some form of Switching Mechanism (Float Stone/Escape Rope specifically). It is also possible to tech in Zoroark with Float Stone to make the situation easier overall. Plus, with Zoroark himself being so good against Sky Field decks, he would be able to take care of Aegislash if it is being played in Metal Ray Ray.

There is a lot of kinks to work out, but boy do I feel like we are getting somewhere with this! It excites me!

poke4trade

Raising Ash
I like the idea of a 1/1 Zorak tech, followed by a two/two line of Ariados, and then 3/2 line Glalie with a 2 line of Laparas.

13 Pokemon is a good number before draw support pokemon.

Asmer

I think that sounds great as well. You could also include a 1-of Delta Articuno since it does net extra Prize Cards in a lot of situations.

Still, overall, this is looking to be more and more viable.

Spectre_Makoto

Elon Musk is Steve Jobs' Nobody!
One idea I had was to use Shrine of Memories. Play Glalie EX, next turn Mega Evolve. Mega Turbo with DCE and Judge (and/or careful card management) allowing you to use base Glalie's attack while having the extra HP of a Mega. Also having the option to use Cryomouth is nice. I don't know, just an idea.

I'm currently working on a decklist, hopefully I can have it up on here some time soon.

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
In my opinion, it's a tricky time for Megas that aren't named Rayquaza or Groudon (Though I personally hate the latter) at the moment, because not only do you have Giratina shutting down damage and their Spirit Links, but you've got Regice/Vileplume which can really slow down Spirit Links, Mega Turbos and so on as well as locking out all damage. Plus, Resistance Blizzard isn't an ability that can be sealed through Silent Lab or Hex Maniac, making it harder to combat. So, it kind of seems like the counters to a deck like Glalie are pretty high, but I really want to see the deck do well because the attacks are so unique and interesting.

Considering a few of the decks going around, there are lots of decks that rely on the 2HKO rather than the 1HKO. Manectric, for example, or Vespiquen (who can't hit Glalie for weakness) or even Giratina rely on 2HKOs to win games, and 2HKOing M-Glalie with these decks involves putting 10 damage counters on it- Cryomouth territory. So I think it has potential, but the deck will have to run quite a few checks against the decks it's weak to, which are quite a few at the moment.

I think Shrine of Memories is a great idea- wear them down with hand-match Instant Freeze, then hit with Cryomouth for a 2HKO on everything. Then, when Glalie's HP gets low, Cryomouth Crymouth Cryomouth. Raichu may be a good addition to the deck, or the aforementioned Articuno (Maybe with EXP Share?) or Zoroark.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Consider to run two Glalie Ex as a cleaner in a Seismitoad Ex deck with Archies Empoleon and Octillery. You start of with the classic Seismitoad lock and heavy amountf os control trainers and use Glalie Ex to take the last few prize cards. Pure mono water deck with varied weakness in addition to a nice synergy between the cards.

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
Just thought I'd share my Glalie deck! I haven't played against anything too top-tier yet (is Machamp/Ariados tier 3?), but this is a pretty consistent build, I've found. Octillery, Judge and Battle Reporter give you 3 ways to equal your opponent's hand size, and Shaymin's in there for a bit of consistency. The Stadiums give you offensive and defensive options, and Mega Turbos allow you to get around stuff like Enhanced Hammer.

Hopefully this renews discussion of this fun deck!

HM4iUT0.jpg

Sabaku

Aspiring Trainer
If you ask me, Glalie-EX is just asking for some Bats support. Instant Freeze is relatively easy to set up, and between Muscle Band and Bats support, it's very easy to set up a situation where you're OHKOing Pokemon with no problem. Toad + Bats still provides a decent way to stall and deal decent damage against low HP decks. Even in Expanded, Glalie-EX could probably be a decent tech for Laser ToadBats if they can find the space.

Asmer

@Ms Hugo Very nice build! Looks very...solid! xD (Sorry, can't help my puns~)
@Sabaku Actually, that gives me an idea. It would focus a bit less on M Glalie EX, but you could potentially run a Strategy around Glalie EX, Bats, and a Tech Seismitoad or two in Expanded. Dive Ball and Ultra Ball as a 3/4 split for consistency, Lasers and Virbank (for Expanded), can even go so far as teching in a single Battle Reporter, which against some decks is actually REALLY good. Heck, you can even play Wobbuffet PTF or more Hex Maniac to stop things like Skymin and other good Abilities from doing anything, since nothing on your board would need an ability on their turns.

Good stuff, guys!

poke4trade

Raising Ash
I just ran this deck on my channel against M Mewtwo EX. The deck I built focused on Glalie EX. The deck ran really well and was paired with Laparas/Regice/Beartic/unown/shaymin. It performs pretty well. The suggestion I would make is to run it with red card. Red card throws the opponent off a bit and can buy sometime and create the perfect hand size of four. Because energy disruption appear to be all the rage now, Lapras with trick coin, just made a good counter measure.

I do like the mega turbos, but can they make the hand size count a bit awkward at times?

Great build! I'll have to test it.

Pinecone

A Pinecone on the Beach
I haven't found Shine of Memories to be all that impressive. Against EX, the 50 extra damage it does over M Glalie's attack often doesn't matter because it's going to be a 2HKO anyway. I prefer the damage manipulation that Rough Seas offers. Rough Seas makes it harder for your opponent to set up a KO without triggering the extra 150 as well as giving M Glalie EX the chance to survive an extra turn, essentially granting you a free knockout.

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
I do like the mega turbos, but can they make the hand size count a bit awkward at times?

Great build! I'll have to test it.

Thanks! And awkward how, do you mean when trying to match hand sizes?

As for Shrine of Memories, it can help you get OHKOs on non-EXs, which is what merits its inclusion in my opinion. The extra 50 damage also lets you 2HKO Megas like Groudon that take a while to power up. But I can see your point, and running just 1 Rough Seas can be a bit of a pain. I'm in the process of building the deck IRL, so I will be experimenting more at League...

I'm also not sold on Seismitoad and have replaced the Lugia, so that build is a little outdated.

poke4trade

Raising Ash
I haven't found Shine of Memories to be all that impressive. Against EX, the 50 extra damage it does over M Glalie's attack often doesn't matter because it's going to be a 2HKO anyway. I prefer the damage manipulation that Rough Seas offers. Rough Seas makes it harder for your opponent to set up a KO without triggering the extra 150 as well as giving M Glalie EX the chance to survive an extra turn, essentially granting you a free knockout.

Sorry, yes, I mean hand size.

I have another glallie deck, though I don't how viable it will be in the future, but it uses octillary. Octillary is a really good card for manipulating hand size. I run it with skarmory and regice. It has produced good results because it has a good match up with night march and Vespqueen. But I think in the future Laparas and Jirachi might be better friends.

About 95% of the time I can match hand sizes with the opponents hand, and it plays more consistently then my unown/shaymin deck. Its about 85%. However, what I noticed is that M Glalie EX for the two prize exchange can be bulky. I guess I'd rather loose Glalie EX versus M Glalie. The 150 damage + muscle band is such a massive hit that it really makes me question the M glalie deck because you can use things like skarmory for mop up crew, 30+stadium 30+muscle 20=80 and have less of a bulkier deck for a quicker charge time on the next Glalie EX because of Octillary. But like always, I could be missing a benefit I just haven't worked out.

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy6/69/

Yo-yos

DP and hoenn era, when tcg was dope
I can't see glalie lasting a day in my meta full of bats, n/m, yveltal, Jirachi/metal variants, and toad/tina, but if you can make it work, cuddo's to you.

poke4trade

Raising Ash
I can't see glalie lasting a day in my meta full of bats, n/m, yveltal, Jirachi/metal variants, and toad/tina, but if you can make it work, cuddo's to you.

Thanks for the support. It's not a deck for everyone, but it's fun. Jirachi Metal variants is really hard to overcome. But Yveltal is a 170 and Giratina is a 170 and they are easier matches. A lot of times by turn 3, maybe 85% of time, Glallie has knocked them off and the opponent is sitting there with four cards in their hand on their turn. I would say about 75% of the time the opponent has to pass the round, which puts the deck in a very strong position, especially if their playing bats, which can be a bit clunky to play at times. But ya, that special 170 hit with muscle band is a bit easier to put together with Glalie then trying to go for it with Houndoom.

Chuckles...If get the tempting notion to try it, you might like it.