Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

I can see this being used with team Aqua's muk/zoroark/team aqua's secret base/forretress along with the pain amplifer bronzong will make a very interesting metal deck. Also you can play heavy boot on this guy as well or assualt vest to make him more tanky along with shield energy.

Last edited:
This is only the second set Ferrothorn has been in; and its third card (Emerging Powers had two). Also its highest HP to date. :p Welcome back, you... weedy trashcan, you!

if you watch the numbers you might notice this is 60 rat is 64

between steel and colorless is fairy and dragon so at this rate this set may have no dragons or no fairys or none of either

and 61 62 and 63 could be a klinklang line or bisharp line with cobalion/klefki or bisharp/ferrothorn break

Kind of disappointed honestly. After seeing a grass Durant and a psychic Aegislash line I was hoping the appearance of a Ferrothorn line would also be in its alternate type.

Long time no see... Finally another Ferrothorn, it hasn't appeared since Emerging Powers...
The card itself is meh... I like the spread and the abuse of the retreat cost but the attack cost and potential damage output isn't much worthy... Perhaps a BREAK with an ability that increases the retreat cost of other pokémon could make it better...

This is a nifty card o: Not fantastic, but I do like the fact that it deals damage based on the Retreat Cost. That feels pretty unique. (Bear in mind, I'm new to the TCG, so it might not be that unique)

Considering that most spread damage caps at about 30, and that stuff like Team Aqua's Muk/Secret Base exist, I can see this being an OK fun deck.

i guess since its quite fast and doesnt require any support pokemon/archetype (just needs mega turbo?), mega scizor could find room for eeveelutions giving it the ability to hit for weakness. that would be a great way to turn its attack into a ohko, since 240 will knock out everything.

Unfortunately that is not going to work. The eeveelutions ability only works on Stage 1 Pokémon. Mega evolutions do not count as Stage 1 Pokémon. Thank goodness though! Mega Pokémon are already powerful compared to most Stage 1 Pokémon. The Eeveelutions give them a nice boost.

So you are telling me that having all those in one card that can take prize cards (even though it gives them) and can be reused, and can prevent the opponent from setting up is a bad thing? If all those cards are strong then this card is at least viable. I mean no one though Tyrantrum would be worth anything and its done better then we all thought.

Well that last statement is not true. I for one knew Tyrantrum EX had potential. There was even a thread on Pokébeach discussing this promos viability before it's release. It's hard to predict whether a card will be competitive.

I hope Nuzleaf is a Grass type so we can get out Shiftry T1. Come on have an awesome Ability Shiftry please.

How comes Kanoko Eo never gets to do artwork for powerful pokemon or playable pokemon? I think the last one was Miltank from Flashfire.

Ah! Ferrothorn is interesting. With four Muks and an Aqua's Base that's min 50 spread (assuming no float stone). I think in a different meta this could be really fun/even good?? But I don't think we live in that reality.

Just contextually, the major threats: Vespiquen has 0 base retreat (though if their bench is loaded a 2HKO is p good for several Vespiquen or Combee), M Manectric also has 0 retreat, Rough Seas, and is bulky. The same mostly applies to all megas -- Spike Whip would hit most for more, but it's still paltry damage to megas. Giratina one shots it and sets up about as quickly.

Bummer, hope we see a break doe.

There is no anime exclusive character in the TCG, this is clear as water. :)

I never said there was. XD

Just for the sake of clarity, I'm going to run through this (not quoting stuff because that would get huge) and you can tell me where I misunderstood, if I did. Spoiler tagging it so it isn't quite so intrusive to the discussion. Also including slightly embarrassing childhood anecdote (some people enjoy such things).

This all started because a previous post didn't like that Stadiums now had split effects, specifically feeling it was "wrong". The reason that person gave was because that person didn't believe it fit the animation's treatment of stadiums. Such a position is pretty easily refuted; "Stadiums" isn't literal in the TCG and it just means the location where two Trainers (the players) are having a Pokémon battle. It has been a while since I watched the animation regularly, but even limiting things to the battles at sanctioned locations for Pokémon League battles, some have indeed had varied terrain, though arguably it might count towards something more like Scorched Earth where the different features just favor multiple kinds of Pokémon for different reasons, and either side can take advantage of it.

RealSlim, you made a post claiming this wasn't an issue because the TCG is based on the video games, not the animation. I put forth the counterargument that the Pokémon franchise is such that you can't be sure what influences what anymore and that in fact either the TCG has been influenced by the animation directly or the video games have been influenced by the animation and then the TCG by the video games. I cited examples like Copycat (original art), Here Comes Team Rocket! and Team Rocket's Meowth.

So why do all this? It isn't just because I enjoy debate (though I generally do, and kudos to keeping a nice friendly attitude during it). There is a danger in getting something correct but having arrived at that conclusion incorrectly. You see it a lot with people that adhere to a particular stance on an important matter, but only do so because it is the popular opinion (sometimes only relative to the people whom they know) and then cannot properly defend it when called up or by using their faulty reasoning in a similar situation they arrive at an incorrect conclusion about something else (usually something similar but different).

A non-controversial example is from when I was in the second grade (I think) and we were learning how to estimate. Now of course we were being taught with super-easy examples and while I'm no genius, the actual problems were so easy I could just glance at them and solve them in my head. They were designed to actually equal the estimated answer or else I was rounding them off, but this meant I got enough of them correct that until the exam over that section everyone assumed I knew what I was doing. It was only when the format shifted slightly and instead of estimating the answer we had to look at a simple addition problem, round up the two individual numbers being added then add them together to get the estimate answer. So... got those wrong because I kept using the wrong method that managed to often enough get myself the correct answer until that point.

Yeah, sometimes I really am just that old guy that goes on and on. ;)

It's a pretty good card imo, I like damage spread decks "bats" and this would be a great addition, I hope it gets a Break, Ferrothorn was always one of my favourite pokemon and i never saw 1 good Ferrothorn card tbh

Is it true that this set will have 11 EX cards including the Mega EX? If that's the case, I would like see what other people predict as the other EX cards, based on what's been revealed so far or not.

If there is indeed 11 EX, I would say one of them will be a legendary bird, maybe Moltres or Zapdos (2 water EX already revealed so no Articuno). I know they've had Plasma EX prints, but like Lugia has had, I think they will be printed as regular EX.

BREAKpoint (the English set) is confirmed to have 11 EXes. However, some of those may come from other sources than the Japanese XY9 (such as Mawile and Aerodactyl from the recent "Double Mega BREAK Set"), and we don't know how many more EXes will be released in XY9.

Long time no see... Finally another Ferrothorn, it hasn't appeared since Emerging Powers...
The card itself is meh... I like the spread and the abuse of the retreat cost but the attack cost and potential damage output isn't much worthy... Perhaps a BREAK with an ability that increases the retreat cost of other pokémon could make it better...
You have team aqua's muk and team aqua's secret base to boost the retreat cost already of each pokemon on the feild...then you can meowstic Flashfire to move all the damage around late game even add a target whistle if they discard their shaymins to fill their bench space for more total damage output, the only problem is single energy attacking pokemon (lucario ex) that do not require as many benched pokemon. Even an aegislash can help u level the field with nightmarch and vespiquen matchups. Maybe teching a gallade will help against mega manectric but against other mega's you could also play faded town with aqua base the list depends on the person techs vs. conistancy.

Last edited:
Wow I really like this artwork. Really compliments Ferroseed. Previous art for it was never that good.

Back