Writing Athena Plays Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword - Final Chapter & Epilogue

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
kXMcZ8Q.png

Welcome to another addition of Athena Plays Fire Emblem, a playthrough where readers pick and name my units and the points don't matter. This time, we'll be tackling Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword. Although it's the 7th game in the FE series, it was the first FE game brought to the west, so it was this game that introduced a lot of older FE fans (myself included) to this awesome series.

As typical for my playthroughs, you need no knowledge of the Fire Emblem series or Shadow Dragon in particular in order to read along, make suggestions, and enjoy. Mechanical basics will be explained as necessary to make suggestions, otherwise sit back and enjoy.​

What's a Fire Emblem?

If you're not familiar with Fire Emblem, take a look in the spoiler for a quick overview about the series.

fgfG7by.png

Fire Emblem is a turn-based strategy RPG made by Intelligent Systems and Nintendo. It's been around since the days of the original NES back in Japan, though it was first brought over to the Western world with the 7th game which was released on the GBA. The games take place in many different worlds, but all of them are similar to fairly standard western fantasy worlds, with knights, kingdoms, and magic. Typically, there will be a main "Lord" character who is the Main Character for a given game, and the rest of the units comprise a small, personal army of his for achieving some purpose, usually a destruction of some kind of evil being.

Where Fire Emblem really shines as a series is its mechanics. The player (either as a complete 4th wall entity or via an in-game character avatar) must guide the Lord and his units to victory by achieving certain objectives. Different characters in the game have various classes, and therefore strengths and weaknesses, that can be used to maximum benefit. The main difference between FE and a more traditional JRPG is that the party size is much larger, and the game is broken up into chapters where each chapter is one large battle. Within the battle, there are many enemies on the field, and individual combats are more simplified, with a single character attacking a certain enemy at a given time. Often, characters who die in combat are permanently dead and may not join again in later chapters, so you really need to develop good tactics and keep your team alive!

If you'd like to learn more about Fire Emblem or discuss the series, we have a thread for that here in PokéBeach's Long Term Topics section.

Pick My Units!

Our units have been decided! We will be playing the game through with: Lyn, Sain, Florina, Erk, Rath, Ninian/Nils, Lucius, Hector, Eliwood, Priscilla, Raven, and Heath.

Before I even begin the playthrough, I will need your help making a team!

Not all characters join at the beginning of the game, but we will be aiming for a permanent team of 12 characters. 3 of those characters will be forced, all of them Lords: Lyn, Hector, and Eliwood.

Lyn.png
Lyn - Lord
An orphaned young woman from the Sacae plains who looks to take revenge for her tribe.

Hector.png
Hector - Lord
Younger brother of the ruler of Ostia and the "Main" Lord of this playthrough. Also, Athena's personal favourite FE Lord. <3

Eliwood.png
Eliwood - Lord
Son of the ruler of Pherae and best friend of Hector. Father of our boy Roy.

The remaining 9 characters will be chosen by you, my readers. Here's a breakdown of the possible remaining cast!

Sain.png
Sain - Cavalier
The green cavalier of the cav duo from Caelin. Really likes the ladies.

Kent.png
Kent - Cavalier
The red cavalier of the cav duo from Caelin. The straight man to Sain's craziness.

Florina.png
Florina - Pegasus Knight
A shy Pegasus Knight of Ilia. Also, Athena's favourite character of the game.

Wil.png
Wil - Archer
An archer from Pherae. Very cheerful and friendly.

Dorcas.png
Dorcas - Fighter
A mercenary from Bern who fights to pay for medicine to help his sick wife.

Serra.png
Serra - Cleric
A sarcastic and egotistic cleric in the service of the noble House Ostia.

Erk.png
Erk - Mage
A dour and studious mage. Raised in Etruria but currently working for House Ostia.

Rath-1.png
Rath - Nomad
A lone nomad wandering the Sacae plains. Nomads are a class exclusive to FE7 and FE6, and are mounted archers.

Matthew.png
Matthew - Thief
A cheerful thief and spy in the employ of House Ostia.

Nils.png
Ninian.png
Nils & Ninian - Bard / Dancer
Orphaned siblings saved by the game's Lords. Although they are each their own character, only one is ever playable at a time and they share stats and abilities (refreshing), so they count as 1 character for the purposes of recruitment. As they are also rather important to the plot, they will be an option for NPC naming even if they aren't chosen. Training them up is also necessary to reach a certain gaiden chapter.

Lucius.png
Lucius - Monk
A kind and gentle monk that's often mistaken for a girl. Wields Light Magic.

Wallace.png
Wallace - Knight
The retired Knight Commander of Caelin. Competitive and loyal.

--- --- ---

Marcus-11.png
Marcus - Paladin (P)
A knight of Pherae and personal advisor to Eliwood. The game's Jagen archetype, powerful in the early game but loses usefulness as the game goes on.

Lowen.png
Lowen - Cavalier
A new recruit in the Pherean Army, being trained by Marcus.

Rebecca-1.png
Rebecca - Archer
A young archer from Pherea, and childhood friend of Wil.

Bartre-11.png
Bartre - Fighter
A reckless fighter who serves Eliwood.

Oswin.png
Oswin - Knight
A knight of House Ostia who serves Hector.

Guy.png
Guy - Myrmidon
A mercenary from Sacae who wishes to master the sword.

Merlinus-11.png
Merlinus - Transporter
I'm listing him here for the sake of listing him since he's technically a PC, but he doesn't fight or count towards deployment. We will be using him, but he doesn't really do much.

Priscilla.png
Priscilla - Troubador
A noble lady raised by House Etruria, polite and selfless, and the sister of Raven.

Raven.png
Raven - Mercenary
A troubled mercenary with a grudge against Ostia. Brother of Priscilla.

Canas-1.png
Canas - Shaman
A scholar and a gentleman with an awesome monocle. Wields Dark Magic.

Dart.png
Dart - Pirate
A pirate with amnesia who works for Captain Fargus.

Fiora.png
Fiora - Pegasus Knight
The commander of the 5th wing of Ilia's Pegasus Knights. Older sister of Florina and Farina.

Legault.png
Legault - Thief
A fugitive from the Black Fang who turned to a life of crime.

Isadora.png
Isadora - Paladin (P)
A knight of House Pherae and personal steward of Eliwood's mother.

Heath.png
Heath - Wyvern Rider
An honourable Wyvern Rider from Bern who defects from his army.

Hawkeye-1.png
Hawkeye - Bereserker (P)
Protector of the Nabata Desert and friend of Pent and Louise.

Geitz-1.png
Geitz - Warrior (P)
Son of a merchant, wandering and fighting to find himself.

Farina.png
Farina - Pegasus Knight
A Pegasus Knight of Ilia working as a mercenary.

Pent-1.png
Pent - Sage (P)
Lord of Etruria, wife of Louise, teacher of Erk, and friend of Athos.

Louise-1.png
Louise - Sniper (P)
The wife of Pent, Louise raised herself up from low nobility to be a great lady.

Karel-11.png
Karel - Swordmaster(P)
A famous Sacaen swordsman known as both the Sword Demon and the Sword Saint, depending on who you ask. He and Harken are exclusives.

Harken.png
Harken - Hero (P)
An ex-knight of Pherae seeking revenge against the Black Fang for killing his comrades. He and Karel are exclusives.

Nino-1.png
Nino - Mage
A very young mage girl raised by Sonia. She is this game's "Est" archetype, joining at a very low level late in the game but with high growths.

Jaffar.png
Jaffar - Assassin (P)
An assassin in the employ of the Black Fang who cares for Nino.

Vaida.png
Vaida - Wyvern Lord
An arrogant and brutal commander of Bern known as the Dragon Fang General.

Karla-1.png
Karla - Swordmaster
A cool, peaceful swordfighter and sister of Karel. In order to recruit her, Bartre must be used as well.

Renault.png
Renault - Bishop
A bishop of St. Elimine hoping to atone for his past sins.

Everyone is allowed to suggest up to 5 characters that they would like to see in play. I'm making this limit so that we don't have another case of people just listing the same characters as someone else over and over. You can provide names for all characters suggested, the Lords, and some other characters; please see the below section for more details.

Of the 12 characters in the first section (above the dashes), at least 3 of them must be chosen in the final team. This is because the game starts with separate prologue/sub-story/long tutorial that only features those characters and Lyn.

If you're uncertain who to pick, I would aim more for characters towards the top. Characters are roughly listed in recruiting order, so the earlier a character appears, the more screentime they'll have.

As usual, characters with the most suggestions will be in. Any tie-breakers will be decided by me.

Naming Units

Here are our Member Picks! We're still looking for some more, but these are the names that have been locked in as of the official start of the playthrough:

Lyn: BB
Sain: TGK
Florina: Robin
Erk: Luis
Rath: Vom
Ninian: SM
Nils: Celever
Lucius: PP
Hector: Green
Eliwood: NotJim
Priscilla: Skyleaf
Raven: Jabberwock
Heath: Cypher

Current NPC Suggestions:

Nergal: Keeper
Uther - Icarus

Athos, Zephiel, Brendan, Limstella, and Elbert are also possible NPCs up for naming.

As usual, I would like to rename all of my units to PokéBeach Members. The follow characters are all applicable for naming suggestions, listed in order of most important to least:

1) All 3 Lords will need names: Lyn, Hector, and Eliwood
2) All characters you suggest to be included should also be given name suggestions
3) Nils and Ninian also function as important NPCs and will need to be named whether they're in as PCs or no.
4) You can also offer name suggestions to other characters even if you haven't chosen them, so long as it's made clear that these are separate from your actual unit suggestions.
5) There is also a list of important villains and NPCs below who could use names, if so you choose. There are even more if you want, but these are the ones I think are most important.

Athos - Archsage and Legendary Hero
Nergal - FE7's main antagonist, a Dark Druid
Zephiel - The young crown prince of Bern
Brendan - Leader of the Black Fang
Limstella - A morph created by Nergal
Uther - Marquess Ostia and Hector's brother
Elbert - Marquess Pherae and Eliwood's father

NOTE: There's actually a faceless narrator/tactician with some minimal plot interaction that hasn't been mentioned so far in this post yet. Since I will be taking that role, I'm not applicable for any other character suggestions.

Supports

Our chosen supports will be between the following pairs:

Lyn: BB / Rath: Vom
Florina: Robin / Hector: Green
Ninian: SM / Eliwood: NotJim
Lucius: PP / Raven: Jabberwock
Priscilla: Skyleaf / Sain: TGK

Like Awakening, many characters have Support conversations with other characters. These Supports serve to make the character's closer and share more information about them and the world of FE7.

Unlike Awakening, these Supports do not always end in marriage, and even when they do, it's not until the end of the game. Many characters, however, are confirmed to have children that appear in FE6, including Roy of Smash Brothers fame. Supports are almost much more limited since each character can only have 5 Support conversations in total.

I'll be opening up Support voting after characters have been assigned, since otherwise it's too much information for me to list for every single character. If you want a sneak peak at who supports with who before suggesting characters, you can take a look at this chart on Serenes Forest.

Game Info & Details

If you don't know what any of this stuff means, that's okay, don't worry about it.
  • We will be playing through the Hector's Mode version of the game. This is a bit different from the base Eliwood Mode that is the version of the game everyone plays on their first time around. Hector's Mode offers a slightly different perspective of the story and also has more chapters and characters.
  • This playthrough will be played on Normal difficulty. This is mostly so I can focus on playing through the story and not have to worry about leveling or whatever, even if my team ends up shitty.
  • I will not use any characters in battle besides the ones decided upon here, except for the chapters they appear if they're forced.
  • However, if Matthew is not chosen, I will use him for opening doors/chests and stuff as necessary. He will, however, stay out of combat if at all possible and have a minimal presence in the plot. If this occurs, he will be replaced by Legault when Legault appears, but under the same conditions if Legault is not a PC.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions! If those questions are spoilery, please either spoiler tag them or send them in via PM.

Chapters! \o/

Once the run starts, all chapters will be linked here.

Prologue: A (BB)Ninja from the Plains
Chapter 1: TGK enters the fray!
Chapter 2: Temple of the Sweet Sword
Chapter 3: Robin swoops in for the kill!
Chapter 4: Wow, look at those muscles
Chapter 5: Luis blasts into action!
Chapter 6: Vom shoots down the competition!
Chapter 7: A whole bunch of new friends show up
Chapter 7x: Wooooo, Gaiden Chapter~ \o/
Chapter 8: Everyone is trying to kill us
Chapter 9: NotJim to the rescue with the power of neutrality!
Chapter 10: It's the final showdown~
Chapter 11: Lord Green stomps into action!
Chapter 12: Lord NotJim stabs his way to victory!
Chapter 13: I guess we might as well recruit this guy...
CHapter 13x: It was a dark and spooky gaiden chapter
Chapter 14: Finally no longer playing Lord Emblem
Chapter 15: Nope, this is my castle :U
Chapter 16: Yay, our friends are back! \o/
Chapter 17: Another chapter, another castle conquered and razed to the ground...
Chapter 17x: Yarrr, this be a pirate gaiden chaptarrr
Chapter 18: Good Pirates, Bad Pirates, and Smelly Pirates
Chapter 19: The plot thickens, as does the fog, because this is a spoooooooky island
Chapter 19x: Oooooh sekrit boss battle~
Chapter 19xx: Double gaiden chapter all the way across the sky :D
Chapter 19xxx: Just kidding, it's Chapter 20
Chapter 21: Mostly just shopping in the dark
Chapter 22: Everyone protect Celever's nap!
Chapter 23: Obligatory Desert Chapter
Chapter 23x: We're baaaaack :3
Chapter 24: Everyone in Bern is crazy
Chapter 25: TGK leads us on a pointless detour
Chapter 26: ITC: NotJim poops out a horse or something, I don't know, how else did it get there
Chapter 27: ITC: The inspiration for skinshipping in Fates
Chapter 28: Battle Before Dawn, but also long after midnight, sometime in that 3-4am time range, I think
Chapter 28x: A swimmingly good time at the Water Temple
Chapter 29: Sprocket of Inevitability
Chapter 30: Well, that's depressing
Chapter 31: This is a message from Lord Keeper. "I await you on the Dread Isle."
Chapter 31x: Ostian Shopping Network
Chapter 32: Cake or Death
Chapter 32x: It's the final sidequest~
Final Chapter: *insert cool boss battle music*

Last edited:
Hmmm... I'm definitely interested to be the big guy with the big axe (Hector) :p Unfortunately, not many people have called for other names, but I vote for Grovylekid and Palutena to have their names on the characters they chose :)

For playable characters: (1)Guy (He's a myrmidon. Not much else to say here) Also, is that his real name? xD (2)I would challenge you to use Niniad :p (3) Pent & Sage look like decent characters (4) Heath, for his wyvern.

Last edited:
(1)Guy (He's a myrmidon. Not much else to say here) Also, is that his real name? xD

Yes, it is! Guy happens to be a perfect normal French male name, you know. :p Though it's it's not pronounced gai as in "hey guys", it's pronounced in the French style, which is more like gee with a hard g. This is reflected in his Japanese spelling, which is ギィ.

I am a fount of useless knowledge.

(3) Pent & Sage look like decent characters

Not sure who you mean by "Sage" here since Sage is a class and not a character. Maybe you got confused because Pent is a Sage? :p

Yes, it is! Guy happens to be a perfect normal French male name, you know. :p Though it's it's not pronounced gai as in "hey guys", it's pronounced in the French style, which is more like gee with a hard g. This is reflected in his Japanese spelling, which is ギィ.

I am a fount of useless knowledge.

Not sure who you mean by "Sage" here since Sage is a class and not a character. Maybe you got confused because Pent is a Sage? :p

Ugh... (*Facepalm) I meant the couple, Pent and Louise. Interestingly enough, they have decent classes and are good for aerial units :p

I see... French name it is, then :D I could respond to your self sarcastic comment, but this thread is for the play-through... "Oak's Voice echoed: There's a time and place for everything but not now." :p xD

Woooooooooooo, Blazing Sword! Fun! :D
I just so happened to finish Hector's mode a couple of weeks ago :p
Anyways, characters:
  • Rath: We need this guy. Good speed, Skill and Strenght, in addition of swords when promoted, especially good with a combination of Boots+Longbow. Long story short, Rath is a very good unit, as far as I'm concerned. Plus he has that look of don't mess with me or else. Idk who this could be :O
  • Erk: Erk is kinda weak early-game, but he can grow to be a very powerful unit. I'm choosing Erk over Pent because Erk is faster and has about the same Magic and Skill, plus I like his outfit better :p Not to mention how he gets when Serra is around. I think @Celever fits this role!
  • Priscilla: We'll need a healer, and personally I prefer a Valkyrie over a Bishop. (Plus there are like two other characters who end up as Bishops.) Besides, that takes me to my next point! :D @Skyleaf2000 should be her, Idk why. Maybe their avys look slightly alike to me?
  • Raven: I underestimated the guy in my first run, regretted it the second. He gets pretty good after a while, and his Skill is pretty high too. Plus he rocks with Killing Edge+Armorslayer+Halberd+Hammer+Filler. :D Idk who this would be either.
  • Heath: My personal favorite, plus he's pretty good too. Plus he has a greenish blue wyvern <3 I nominate myself for this :3
I'd nominate more tbh, but we're only allowed 5 so I picked my favorites. Also for the lords I'd nominate @thegrovylekid for Hector, @bbninjas for Lyn and Idk for Eliwood.
Also @Keeper of Night for Nergal because evil. :D

P.S: @Athena Hector ftw! My heart broke in the sequel </3

For characters, how about:
1:Florina because she is a pegasus knight and has purple hair.
2:Nils/Ninian because they seem kind of mysterious.
3:Vaida because of this and this.
4:Wallace for the same reason as Vaida.
5:Erk because his name is weird.
none of these reasons actually mean anything

for this to be the best PMU it must contain rath

no exceptions

heath is cool too though if you need a second unit

Rath: We need this guy. Good speed, Skill and Strenght, in addition of swords when promoted, especially good with a combination of Boots+Longbow. Long story short, Rath is a very good unit, as far as I'm concerned.

sadly rath is a mediocre Hector Mode unit, his bases and join time are blah

definitely Best Unit(TM) though if you get my drift

Last edited:
Woo, tally~

Unit Picks:
Heath (3):
Green, Vom, NotJim
Rath (3): Vom, NotJim, PP
Ninian/Nils (2): Green, Cypher
Erk (2): Vom, Cypher
Sain (2): TGK, NotJim
Lucius (1): PP
Guy (1): Green
Pent (1): Green
Louise (1): Green
Priscilla (1): Vom
Raven (1): Vom
Florina (1): Cypher
Vaida (1): Cypher
Wallace (1): Cypher

Member Nominations:
Hector
: Green (1), TGK (1)
Lyn: BB (1)
Eliwood:
Heath: Vom (1)
Rath: NotJim (1), Vom (1)
Lucius: PP (1)
Sain: TGK (1)
Guy: BB (1)
Pent: Vom (1)
Erk: Celever (1)
Priscilla: Skyleaf (1)
Nergal: Keeper (1)

I'll probably leave nominations up over the weekend and post my team on Monday for people to suggest Supports. :3

Last edited:
shit i forgot about sain

+1 to sain, best red cav

also if someone else wants rath they should take him but i'm otherwise not averse at all

Last edited:
Vom must be the coolest kid on PokéBeach since he's gotten 3 separate nominations now. :p

Hey everyone, it's your last day to suggest characters! Tomorrow morning I'll finalize my units and open up Support options. If you haven't suggested all/any characters yet, now is the time to do so. The tally in this post is up to date.

Ties will be decided by me, and based primarily on class and/or availability.

Alright everyone, it looks like our final team is going to be:

Lyn, Sain, Florina, Erk, Rath, Ninian/Nils, Lucius, Hector, Eliwood, Priscilla, Raven, and Heath.

Thank you all for your suggestions! But before I formally start, there are a few more things to finalize:

Member Naming

We're still short in our member naming nominations. Here's the breakdown of all of our characters and the current name suggestions for them, as of the time of this post up through post #20:

Lyn: BB (1)
Sain: TGK (1)
Florina:
Erk: Celever (1)
Rath: NotJim (1), Vom (2)
Ninian: SM (1)
Nils: Celever
Lucius: PP (1)
Hector: Green (2), TGK (1)
Eliwood: NotJim (1)
Priscilla: Skyleaf (1)
Raven: Jabberwock (1)
Heath: Vom (1)

Current NPC Suggestions:

Nergal: Keeper (1)

Please look at the OP for further possible NPC suggestions, if desired.

If any characters don't get a member nomination, they'll keep their in-game names.

Supports

Now that we have our final list, we can also decide on our characters Supports. Each character will get one A Support with another PC, if at all possible. Because of the limited nature of GBA supports, and the fact that we have a predetermined team, some Supports have already been more or less decided for us:

Lyn & Rath will A Support (woooo)
Raven & Lucius will A Support (double woooo)

So, this leads us to 2 main decisions in terms of Supports:

Hector, Eliwood, Florina, and Ninian:

There are two possible pairing sets within this group: romantic, or aromantic. Which would you prefer to see?

Romantic: Hector/Florina, Eliwood/Ninian - Both of these A Supports end in a paired, romantic ending, complete with a special graphic and an extra conversation at the end of the story.

Aromantic: Hector/Eliwood, Florina/Ninian - Both of these Supports are possible, though neither is treated particularly special with no paired ending or anything. Hector and Eliwood are simply best of friends and Florina and Ninian bond over something or other.

Priscilla: The Most Popular Girl at the Ball

Priscilla is a very popular girl. 3 males that we are playing with can only support her with our current team: Sain, Erk, and Heath. So, who of those 3 would you like to see her Support with? Due to the limited nature of Supports, the two boys who are not chosen to A Support with her with each get a C Support with her and no other Supports.

Potential Silly Plan: Tactician Support? I had the kind of funny idea that I could also make up a fact Support conversation chain between the female tactician and one of the "leftover" guys that can only support Priscilla. If you'd like to see that, feel free to speak up. :p

Please vote for your picks in both categories!
I will be starting with the 1st chapter tomorrow, though I will leave name and support suggestions open until those characters are met and/or all suggestions have been finalized.

Last edited:
Green can be Hector, Vom can be Rath, Notjim can be Eliwood, SM can be Ninian, Celever can be Nils, and @Athena, you can be raven since your user title is "the black crow"!

Back