The Gaming Group - Play. Discuss. Learn.

Wait, Surf? There's Surf somewhere soon?

I also need Waterfall for my Sharpedo. Aqua Jet is simply not cutting it. >_>

Status update, woo!

Thanks to the regenerating trainers at the head place, I was able to level up in record time and get Squishy going to kick Dr. Connal's ass. Ended up being a pretty easy battle at that point. I swapped out Gastrodon for Ralts to get him leveled and and continued on with the plot to eventually fight...

Giant Steelix and PULSE Abra. Yay~

Steelix KOed my entire team with a hit of anything unless he was dumb enough to use Crunch on Lady Barks which only took about ~80% of her HP. He also out-sped everyone but LB and Felinicity. My strategy for that battle ended up being to start with Lady Barks for a 1st Round Swagger, then basically pray. Took about 4 tries before everything worked out nicely.

PULSE Abra was another OHKO battle, the difference being that he tended to use Hyper Beam which gave me a recharge round to work with. I specifically used Pokémon without good attacks against him to get the Hyper Beam KO then swapped to someone with a super effective for the recharge round. Took me a couple tries to work out that strategy, but once I did it worked first try.

Now I'm about to go against Noel, but I have a feeling I'm going to need to build a good team and prepare for him. I've heard he's a very difficult battle. In any event, it'll have to wait until I get back from vacation.

Here's how I'm standing for now. Any advice is appreciated!

Current Party:
Lord Death - Lv. 52 Venusaur
Lady Barks - Lv. 52 Mightyena
Felinicity - Lv. 53 Meowstick (F)
Hephaestus - Lv. 51 Magcargo
PMJ - Lv. 51 Mawile
Starlord - Lv. 45 Gallade

Reserve Teammates:
Thor
- Lv. 47 Luxray
Skrillex
- Lv. 47 Exploud
Poseidon - Lv. 47 Blastoise
Squishy - Lv. 51 Gastrodon

To Be Trained:
Fluffy
- Lv. 10 Sylveon
Queen Beryl - Lv. 28 Nidorina
Balloon Man - Lv. 20 Drifloon
Ears McBat - Lv. 34 Noibat
More possibilities yet unlisted!

I've also been thinking of adding my shiny Graveler to the "Training" pile. I do have a couple Linkstones that I've picked up so I could evolve him into Golem. Is Golem worth it, do you think? He's Lv. 25 now if it matters.

So I made another interesting discovery in the game. When I went to get Eevee I found another Ill Fated Doll and I was perplexed that the game gave me another one. Turns out this is intentional, because the Ill Fated Dolls unlock multiple Pokemon.

If you go to the hidden area of Rhodochrine Jungle (known as Rhodochrine Jungle Glade, you get there by using Rock Smash in Beryl Cemetary and then going down through the cave there) where you battle a Shiftry horde, you'll notice a totem pole with several Pokemon on it, from top to bottom Baltoy, Elgyem, Golett, and Xatu. When you interact with it, the Ill Fated Doll reacts with it and triggers a battle against one of the Pokemon in the totem, starting with Baltoy. So there should be 4 of them so you can catch each one of these Pokemon.

I went to the Shiftry glade and fought/caught an Elgyem from there, so which Pokémon you fight may be random. I've only found the one doll, though; I didn't see once at the Eevee place.

I went to the Shiftry glade and fought/caught an Elgyem from there, so which Pokémon you fight may be random. I've only found the one doll, though; I didn't see once at the Eevee place.

Check the order of the Pokemon on the totem, if you're encountering them in a different order than the totem itself may be randomized. As for the second doll, you have to follow a completely different path in the cave from the one that leads to Eevee. If you go left instead of forward, you'll see a room with two tracks crossed instead of one that splits in two directions. You follow another path through the cave with all of the tracks crossed and eventually you'll find a room with TM 100 (Confide) and an Ill Fated Doll. Since there seems to be no way of telling which direction is correct, I would write down the correct order and use trial and error to find it.

I'll go ahead and post the paths then:
Following the entrances where there are no tracks leads to Eevee. Following the entrances with one rock on each side leads to the room with the TM and doll. There's also a door here that I suppose may be opened at some point later in the game.

I just beat the Fire gym last night. By far the worst gym yet. But after a lot of resetting, extra grinding, and a bit of team changing, I did manage to beat her. Absolutely horrible though.
I'ts a double battle and the field is super heated. It weakens Water moves by half (iirc) and powers up Fire moves. Some Fire moves actually ignite the field, which then causes it to damage non-fire types similar to weather damage. When it's ignited, Water moves that touch the field (like Surf) causes steam to rise, lowering the accuracy of all active Pokemon. She has HP Ice on at least her Volcarona, which made Noivern a liability at times. A lot of her Pokemon carry a lot of coverage moves too, so don't expect Fire spam. I think this is the only Fire gym where I have to not recommend the use of Water types. The field weakens them considerably, and she has a lot of Super Effective options to use against them. But if you have Rain I would go for it, it keeps her Pokemon weakened and keep the field from catching fire as well. I had to use Sandstorm, which also keeps the field from igniting, and really made Sandslahs the MVP for being able to take out the most Pokemon on his own. In this case, I believe it was two (EQ only takes out half her team, the third of which won't come out until the end). Actually started training a Houndoom by the end of it, and Flash Fire bough me a few turns to heal other members, so thank goodness for that.
Now I have to backtrack for Dive. >.>
At least my cap has increased, but I haven't done any extra grinding yet so everybody is still around 69/70, so my team is about the same as before. (Except Vaporeon, who was able to get up to 68 before the gym.)

Actually, most water attacks were only reduced to xo.9, but a select amount of water type attacks (including Surf) are reduced to x0.55. Scald actually increases to x1.66 if you somehow have that attack.

I'll go ahead and post the paths then:
Following the entrances where there are no tracks leads to Eevee. Following the entrances with one rock on each side leads to the room with the TM and doll. There's also a door here that I suppose may be opened at some point later in the game.

I've been wondering about those doors too. I initially thought they would be for a fetch quest or something, but I've been finding a ton of them throughout the game so probably not.

Actually, most water attacks were only reduced to xo.9, but a select amount of water type attacks (including Surf) are reduced to x0.55. Scald actually increases to x1.66 if you somehow have that attack.
That makes more sense, since Hydro Pump worked mostly. But Surf was almost impossible to use because it was so weak and caused steam... Had to get a Wide Lense on Vap though, because Hydro Pump never seems to hit when you need it to. >.>
I don't think we could have Scald yet, unless you had a Simipour from somewhere.

So, just beat Episode 15 with the following team:

'Mola - Emolga* - Lv. 69
Bronzong - Bronzong - Lv. 71 (Trick Room ftw!)
Sharpie - Sharpedo - Lv63
Refuge - Sylveon - Lv.72
Camo - Camerupt - Lv.72
Galla - Gallade - Lv.71
Scepticle - Sceptile - Lv.71

Pokemon I may train now that I've got access to the Exp Share I forgot to pick up pre-Circus:
Pawniard - Lv.51
Ducklett* - Lv.36
Rhyhorn* - Lv.45
Porygon* - Lv.57
Staravia* - Lv.54
Scolipede - Lv.33
Shuckle - Lv.34 (Sticky Web would be ideal)
Noivern* - Lv.42

I am sooooo thankful that I can reach Reborn City through a temporary bypass while Episode 16 is unreleased as scripts to actually to Fly is only usable in Episode 16.

Finally, more shinies:
http://i.imgur.com/vGA7dYC.png
http://i.imgur.com/FVultfd.png
http://i.imgur.com/X5Cw3EH.png
http://i.imgur.com/nzsSB3i.png
http://i.imgur.com/q2cb2j7.png
http://i.imgur.com/JFuYesi.png
http://i.imgur.com/Jh3PE7P.png

A week of hiatus only to come back to... *sigh* more leveling. My enthusiasm isn't at its highest right now. I hate leveling. :p

Getting close, though. I picked my team (I think) and most of them are in the low 50s now (except for Poseidon who's chilling out at 49 or so currently). My goal is to get up to 54 before tackling Noel and then moving on. Perhaps tonight or tomorrow depending on how much I can stomach fighting this same Psychic guy over and over...

I finally beat Noel yesterday. PMJ and Poseidon were Team MVPs.

PMJ was able to easily take care of the initial Wigglytuff with a couple Iron Heads. He usually swapped to Porygon-Z after that, and I would OHKO it with Starlord's Close Combat. Swellow I took out with either Thor's Thunder Fang or Hephastus's Rock Slide (I ended up doing both a few times during my battle attempts; I don't remember which I ended up doing for the final battle), and Girafarig with Crunch by Lady Barks.

Cinccino was the real problem for the most part, since it outsped and 1-2HKOed almost all of my Pokémon. This is where PMJ really shined. One Iron Defense to bulk up and she could soak a few hits from anything Cincinno threw at it, enough to get the KO with minimal healing.

Clefable was always the last Pokémon for every battle I did. I originally wanted to just have PMJ in with the easy Iron Head KO, but Clefable's Hidden Power was of a type that was SE against her and did like 90% HP in damage, so that didn't work well. This is where Poseidon came in, in the battle of the derps. Moonblast did about 40% HP damage, so I mostly just took turns either Water Pulsing and hoping for Confusion or healing (I ended up getting 2 confusions, and 1 self-attack). Sometimes I was able to luck out and get a high HP Water Spout attack in. Eventually it ran out of Moonblast and used Hidden Power which only did about 15-20% HP damage and I was able to spend more turns attacking than healing and eventually, finally KOed it. It was very long and annoying, but I'd had enough of fighting Noel and certainly wasn't about to restart the battle again.

Anyway, that's about as far as I got. Haven't actually done anything after the battle besides heal. I don't even know where I'm going next since I haven't talked to anyone yet. I did swap in Fluffy the Sylveon, though; figured I may as well start training him up now that Starlord is fully up to speed.

I finally beat Terra just the other day. A few others said they got past her easily, but she was the biggest pain for me yet,
Quagsire is bulky as hell, and powerful too with the field mechanics. In fact my only way past it was Vaporeon, who could only be damaged by its Blizzard while it stalled it out. Had to teach Vappy Swagger as well and rely on crits... But eventually hax won the day.
Also notably, I had to make her use up her Hyper Potions on Nidoking (her first Pokemon) by settign up Blaziken just enough to knock it to red/low yellow every turn.
Excadrill and Garchomp are her heaviest hitters, I only beat Garchomp because it (for some reason) switched into Hydro Pump in my last match. Excadrill gave me a few problems until I found out that Sandslash could take an EQ and OHKO back. Thank goodness. >.>

Finally progressing with this game some more, and after kicked Fern's ass a bit, I've made it to Route 1! I've been exploring around and fought a bunch of trainers, so I'm currently back tracking to heal and stock up on some supplies since I have no idea how far it'll be until I hit another town/healing spot. Though, watch, I was probably right next to one. :p

I've swapped in Fluffy to start training him up. I think I'm also going to swap one of my Lv. 55 Pokés to one of my ~high-40s Pokés to start spreading even more exp around. Dunno what the next gym will look like yet, so I don't really have a specific focus for who to train up, just kind of flopping around like usual.

Anyway, here's my current team!

Current Party:
Lady Barks - Lv. 55 Mightyena
Thor - Lv. 54 Luxray
PMJ - Lv. 55 Mawile
Starlord - Lv. 55 Gallade
Poseidon - Lv. 54 Blastoise
Fluffy - Lv. 35 Sylveon

Reserve Teammates:
Lord Death
- Lv. 52 Venusaur
Hephaestus - Lv. 54 Magcargo
Skrillex
- Lv. 47 Exploud
Felinicity - Lv. 53 Meowstick (F)
Squishy - Lv. 51 Gastrodon

Training Hopefuls:
Ears McBat - Lv. 34 Noibat
Balloon Man - Lv. 20 Drifloon
Ghost Rock
- Lv. 25 Shiny Graveler
Queen Beryl - Lv. 28 Nidorina
Hotaru - Lv. 32 Duskull
Googly Eye - Lv. 32 Magnemite
More possibilities yet unlisted!

Just beat Luna.

Man, was this battle pathetically easy once you get Heracross (for those of you who don't know how to get it, you have to clear out the logs and spider webs in South Aventurine Forest and then start on the far left side of it and go right using Tauros. At the other end of the forest you'll find a clearing with a Heracross and Pinsir fighting each other without a honey tree nearby. Defeat one of them and the other will join your team). Even at Lv. 57 it was pretty much sweeping this battle, thanks to it coming with Close Combat and Megahorn which allows it to make short work of Bisharp, Malamar, and Tyranitar, and her field effect doesn't really do much to impede you so a good sweeper like Heracross really shines in this battle. Anyway, the only Pokemon that gave me trouble was her Umbreon, but I had 3 good Pokemon to counter it so from there it was just a matter of whittling it down until it fell.

Since I'm about to pass the point of no return, I think I'll be taking a break for a while and going back to complete the dex, catch more shinies (I'm up to about 36 now), and grind some of my teammates (and possibly get a good Water type, I could probably use one as backup). This is my team right now:

Main Team:
Serperior Lv. 58
Camerupt Lv. 57
Ampharos Lv. 58
Aromatisse Lv. 58
Toxicroak Lv. 60
Drifblim Lv. 57

Reserves:
Gothitelle Lv. 41
Golem Lv. 45
Heracross Lv. 58

Gothitelle and Golem could definitely use some training, and for my Water type I'm thinking either Blastoise or Floatzel (probably Blastoise).

I've been busy over the Thanksgiving week, and am actually traveling for the next week, so I'm away from my desktop to finish this, but the next month is coming up!
Reborn was great, but are there any other games anybody would like to discuss for December? I hate to move on when so many people are still playing, and I'd gladly leave discussion for Reborn open as long as necessary, but maybe having a new game to discuss for those that are finished with the game will bring activity back to the thread.

I'm probably the only one still active in the thread that's not close to the end. Even Bolt's passed me up and made pretty far progress it seems. :p On Friday, I made my way to the Castle and chased El back under the city and that's about as far as I've gotten, after derping around a lot on Route 1.

No new suggestions from me, but I don't mind people moving on obviously.

I wouldn't mind if we all played Super Mystery Dungeon. I know some of us already beat it, but it'd still be cool.

I'd personally prefer not to play games that require me to buy something, because then I won't be able to participate.

I'd personally prefer not to play games that require me to buy something, because then I won't be able to participate.

Same. While I do have a job now and can afford to buy games, I can't really buy a lot of them, so I'd prefer not to buy a game unless it's something I really want.

Back