Discussion Top 8'ing at Cities!

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
So Cities is coming here super fast so I think we need a guide on how many match points you need to top 8.

Disclaimer: I am but a lowly child who has only 5 years of competitive TCG experience under my belt. So I am sorry if I get these wrong.

5 Rounds

4-1-0
4-0-1
5-0-0

6 Rounds

4-1-1
4-0-2
5-1-0
5-0-1
6-0-0

7 Rounds

5-1-1
5-0-2
6-1-0
6-0-1
7-0-0

So yeah hopefully you get the idea. Please comment if I got them wrong because I probably did. Alright thanks.

Top 8 is different per tournament. You really can't go off of a list that guesstimates how well you do to make cut because there are more factors then numbers that would affect one's chances of making it, such as resistance and drops. Outside of the obvious X-0's, X-1's, X-0-1's, and X-0-2's, there is no definite "in" spot.
I was at a cities yesterday and did tie my last round to get Top 8 at 4-1-1, but one person who was 4-1-1 did not make it. So while odds are that you'll make it with X amount of points, do not necessarily count on it, unless if it's obvious :p

I was at a cities yesterday and did tie my last round to get Top 8 at 4-1-1, but one person who was 4-1-1 did not make it. So while odds are that you'll make it with X amount of points, do not necessarily count on it, unless if it's obvious :p
A very well-known player bubbled out of a six-round City Championship that I attended last year at 4-1-1 after taking an intentional draw in the last round. He did know that someone would bubble, but took the risk and was the one person to not make cut.

You have to pay attention to how many match points other players have in your event or you run the risk of making a bad ID call. There's unfortunately not a hard-and-fast formula.

My kido just won his division in cities. <-- Ok it's (ODB) --> (Obvious Dad Brag) Sorry. He went 4 and 1. Cities, I believe, are determined on percentages of player rankings (points) + overall standings. Because my kido's division lacked players, all players in the division had to play against an upper bracket opponents. My kido lost to a lower bracket opponent and was able to pull off upper bracket wins against high percentage of point players.

For myself, in the past, I've tied 6 ways for 3rd but because I lost against a lower ranked player (points), that player moved up in standings above me when we tied, which shoved him to 4th and me to 5th. My hypothesis is that it not only works off of rankings (points), but overall standings at the event. (Hmm...I think?) (Ya, what @Asclepious24 said.)

Back