Discussion Non-Electro Shock Therapy! - The Official Beedrill Discussion

Asmer

Keep the High Tide on the Flipside
Fairy toolbox? XY Aromatisse and mega man are actually pretty good. Mega Ampharos rough seas? Primal Clash beedrill is good with forest of giant plants and free retreat. Also primal groudon and maxies work real well.

It all started with this. <3

Welcome to the official Beedrill Discussion Thread! This thread's purpose is to discuss the various ways of utilizing Beedrill from Primal Clash! From the ability to Speed Evolve in to it via Forest of Giant Plants to its free Retreat Cost and its awesome Attack: Allergic Shock, this card has a lot of uses!

Discuss and have fun!

[A skeleton will eventually be posted here!]

Last edited:

Numelz Numelz

Ariadoney Clear Nail Polish
Is it possible to make Beedrill viable? I've always been curious about that.
Yeah, I got some first turn beedrill back during the long ago days of 2 weeks ago. Free retreat, then omeg barrier electrike 10 damage.
It is dead, dead, dead!

Asmer

Yeah, I got some first turn beedrill back during the long ago days of 2 weeks ago. Free retreat, then omeg barrier electrike 10 damage.
It is dead, dead, dead!
Mind if I PM you for a list? That sounds like something I would play. xD

Numelz Numelz

Mind if I PM you for a list? That sounds like something I would play. xD
Pokemon x 17 or 18
4 Weedle
4 Kakuna
4 Beedrill (primal clash)
3 Electrike (primal clash ancient trait)
1 Yanma
1 Yanmega (FFI)
OPTIONAL: Shaymin EX
Trainers 33 or 32
4 Ultra Ball
1 Poke Ball
1 Level Ball
3 Switch
1 Professor's Letter
4 Float Stone
2 Rare Candy
4 Skyla
3 Judge
3 AZ
1 Team Flare Grunt
1 Xerosic
1 Professor Sycamore or no Sycamore-(Sounds crazy, but yes)
4 Forest of Giant Plants
Energy x 10
1 Herbal Energy
6 Grass Energy
3 Flash Energy

dwarfstar

bread and roses and spiders
Yeah, no. There's a bunch of problems with that list, unfortunately.
-You have nowhere near enough draw power; getting stuck with a bad hand early-game will kill you unless you've got a lot more than that (standard is 3-4 Sycamore and 2-4 Birch/Shauna, plus a Shaymin-EX or two if you've got that).
-Electrike AT isn't actually the best choice of attacker, since it relies on a different type of Energy than Beedrill does and consistency is already a problem for this deck. Since you already have access to plenty of Switches and Float Stones, I'd recommend Miltank, since it's got a [C] attack and can OHKO Vespiquen and 2HKO Seismitoad-EX if it's got a Muscle Band attached and Beedrill on the Bench. (This is very important, because Vespiquen decks are so fast that you can't keep up the Prize trade if you're relying on elaborate 2HKOs like this deck does and Toad shuts down your Switches). Celebi XY93 might also work; I'm gonna ask if its Sparkle Motion (which places 1 damage counter on all opposing Pokemon) counts as "damage by an attack" for the purpose of triggering Allergic Shock. If it does, it's worth using those, since a KO on it only has a 50% chance of actually being a KO due to its Ability. Either way, you should also drop Yanma/Yanmega, since the attack you're looking at there to go along with the free Retreat is extremely expensive.
-There's a lot of decks out there focusing on mons that have either a low retreat cost or none at all, and that ruins Allergic Shock's strategy. As such, you're going to want a way of keeping them trapped there. A 2-2 line each of Ariados AOR and Dragalge FLF will stop all of your opponents' non-Grass mons from retreating manually. Opposing Zoroark can slow this strategy down a little, but most decks don't run multiple Zoroark, so you should be able to get rid of them with relatively minor delays.
-Herbal Energy is basically useless, since solid attackers are fairly likely to OHKO Beedrill anyway. Switch that to basic [G], and change the Flash Energy cards to the same thing, since Electrike is no longer your attacker. This allows you a little more flexibility with Professor's Letter.
-Your mons are going to be dying relatively often in a deck like this, so a couple of Super Rod cards will allow you to last much longer. A copy or two of Teammates will also be useful, for the same reasons.
-Poke Ball isn't really worth it due to its unreliability; I'd convert that to another Level Ball or some other useful Trainer.
-Unfortunately, due to deck space constraints, you'll need to decrease the count of Skyla, Judge, and AZ (unfortunately, you don't have enough Energy in the deck to make AZ-based switching viable as more than a one-off tactic), and you'll probably need to drop Xerosic entirely. In a similar vein, you either want a 4-2-4 Beedrill line with the Rare Candies or 4-4-4 without them (either one works due to your Stadium); you just don't have enough available space for both with all the cards that have to be added to make this deck viable.

I don't have time to try and construct a full decklist now (I'm on a quick break from working on a major project for my lab), but I'll be back at some point in the next couple of days to help you improve this, because Beedrill is absolutely hilarious if you pull it off right.

EDIT: Celebi's Sparkle Motion does NOT count as doing damage to trigger Allergic Shock, apparently, so stick to Miltank as the primary attacker. I'll be back in a bit.

Last edited:

Numelz Numelz

Yeah, no. There's a bunch of problems with that list, unfortunately.
-You have nowhere near enough draw power; getting stuck with a bad hand early-game will kill you unless you've got a lot more than that (standard is 3-4 Sycamore and 2-4 Birch/Shauna, plus a Shaymin-EX or two if you've got that).
-Electrike AT isn't actually the best choice of attacker, since it relies on a different type of Energy than Beedrill does and consistency is already a problem for this deck. Since you already have access to plenty of Switches and Float Stones, I'd recommend Miltank, since it's got a [C] attack and can OHKO Vespiquen and 2HKO Seismitoad-EX if it's got a Muscle Band attached and Beedrill on the Bench. (This is very important, because Vespiquen decks are so fast that you can't keep up the Prize trade if you're relying on elaborate 2HKOs like this deck does and Toad shuts down your Switches). Celebi XY93 might also work; I'm gonna ask if its Sparkle Motion (which places 1 damage counter on all opposing Pokemon) counts as "damage by an attack" for the purpose of triggering Allergic Shock. If it does, it's worth using those, since a KO on it only has a 50% chance of actually being a KO due to its Ability. Either way, you should also drop Yanma/Yanmega, since the attack you're looking at there to go along with the free Retreat is extremely expensive.
-There's a lot of decks out there focusing on mons that have either a low retreat cost or none at all, and that ruins Allergic Shock's strategy. As such, you're going to want a way of keeping them trapped there. A 2-2 line each of Ariados AOR and Dragalge FLF will stop all of your opponents' non-Grass mons from retreating manually. Opposing Zoroark can slow this strategy down a little, but most decks don't run multiple Zoroark, so you should be able to get rid of them with relatively minor delays.
-Herbal Energy is basically useless, since solid attackers are fairly likely to OHKO Beedrill anyway. Switch that to basic [G], and change the Flash Energy cards to the same thing, since Electrike is no longer your attacker. This allows you a little more flexibility with Professor's Letter.
-Your mons are going to be dying relatively often in a deck like this, so a couple of Super Rod cards will allow you to last much longer. A copy or two of Teammates will also be useful, for the same reasons.
-Poke Ball isn't really worth it due to its unreliability; I'd convert that to another Level Ball or some other useful Trainer.
-Unfortunately, due to deck space constraints, you'll need to decrease the count of Skyla, Judge, and AZ (unfortunately, you don't have enough Energy in the deck to make AZ-based switching viable as more than a one-off tactic), and you'll probably need to drop Xerosic entirely. In a similar vein, you either want a 4-2-4 Beedrill line with the Rare Candies or 4-4-4 without them (either one works due to your Stadium); you just don't have enough available space for both with all the cards that have to be added to make this deck viable.

I don't have time to try and construct a full decklist now (I'm on a quick break from working on a major project for my lab), but I'll be back at some point in the next couple of days to help you improve this, because Beedrill is absolutely hilarious if you pull it off right.

EDIT: Celebi's Sparkle Motion does NOT count as doing damage to trigger Allergic Shock, apparently, so stick to Miltank as the primary attacker. I'll be back in a bit.
Thanks. I chose electrike because of AT. I forgot about miltank. I literally made this 2 weeks ago and used it once. I am working on it. Wait. What about lost in the waves tentacool? That way it goes into my hand, and I can drop float stone. For dark types, I will also run miltank.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Moved from The "What Deck Should I Play" Thread as the conversation on Beedrill is better suited in its own thread discussing Beedrill's viability.
~ bbninjas

dwarfstar

bread and roses and spiders
Dunsparce (ROS) has free retreat and attacks for 1 energy. Might be worth a look?
Worth a shot, yeah, but I think Miltank is a little better overall, since it gives the deck a chance against Vespiquen decks that it wouldn't otherwise have and makes things slightly easier against Seismitoad-EX. It might be worth splitting the group to include a Dunsparce in there, but I think it'd be better to have Miltank as the primary attacker, since we do have Float Stone and Switch to mitigate the problem of the 2 Retreat Cost.

Asmer

Both are definitely worth testing, IMO, but I do like Miltank a little better overall... #TotallyNotAMiltankPlayer

I think we should have a fairly general basis of what can be used with Beedrill...something like:

Things That Pokemon SHOULD Have When Used With Beedrill:
- A single Energy Attack that does at least 10 damage
- Free Retreat Cost
- Energy Denial Prevention
- OHKO Prevention

etc. Granted, these aren't necessarily requirements (except the first one, obviously :p), but things that would allow us to search for Beedrill Partners a lot easier.