• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Malamar / Malamar EX / Haunter

Cubone's_Dad

Aspiring Trainer
Hey Beach Boys,

Was considering putting together a bit of a lock deck looking for opinions and/or how viable you think the strategy is. This deck is mostly for fun play but I do want it to have some viability so it isn't just complete trash (always losing is never fun). Anyway here we go:

Pokemon: 15
  • 2 Malamar EX
  • 3 Inkay
  • 3 Malamar Promo
  • 3 Gastly
  • 3 Haunter
  • 1 Shaymin EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 33
  • 4 Super Scoop Up
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Battle Compressor
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 Judge
  • 2 Switch
  • 2 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 1 Trainers' Mail
  • 1 Trick Coin
  • 2 Sparkling Robe
  • 1 Wally
  • 2 Parallel City
Energy: 12
  • 9 Darkness Energy
  • 3 DCE
Strategy:

So the idea behind this deck is to get Malamar Promo in the active spot, throw a Sparkling Robe on him, and evolve some Haunters to make your opponent confused. With Malamar's ability, they will always flip tails which will most likely keep them confused( unless they can switch or heal). Any time a new Pokemon comes out scoop up the Haunter and Gastly then proceed to confuse your opponent's Pokemon again. I also want the Malamar EX to put them to sleep helping to control the pace and keep the promo Malamar from getting knocked out before it can set up all while also using the EX as a sweeper when needed.

As far as trainer support goes I went with Parallel City to such down Silent Lab, Trick Coin for Malanar EX, and some searchers to help speed up the evolution processes. I need to make the evokutions quick so I don't get shut out by things like Seismitoad EX.

Thanks for taking a look through. Please leave a comment or two giving thoughts and feedback.

TheCyanPhoenix

The World's Unluckiest Trainer
I'd say finding room for ariados would be a good idea, to up the damage. And Malamar-EX is a bit of a dead slot; Sleep gets rid of confusion, and any turn you don't have promo malamar active you're letting your opponent attack you. Adding a thin vileplume line might also be a good idea if you can also afford to run an AZ or two (which you should already be doing) to keep your opponent from playing switch or float stone. Overall it's a need idea, I like the deck.

Cubone's_Dad

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks, I didn't realize sleep over wrote the confusion (rookie mistake). I like the idea of Ariados then, I was thinking Mal ex would be a nice secondary win condition if I couldn't get the promos going. What do you think I should make room for AZ with? Trick coin and a Super Scoop?

TheCyanPhoenix

The World's Unluckiest Trainer
Nah, you want as many scoop ups as possible to not get screwed over by bad flips. Trick coin for sure, and if you want more than one either take out a switch or a lysandre.

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer
What's ur plan for zoroark from the new set? Seems like it shuts ur deck down.

I'm not sure what you could do to might need a megaphone to stop the float stones. A 3rd stadium might. Be needed for fairy garden.