Discussion Haunter Discussion

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
Ok, I am going crazy over the Haunter/Heavy Boots combo. It is just so good! Again a huge thanks to @Bungeegum for introducing me to the strategy. So I want to discuss this strategy in here and see what you guys think would be good contenders for partners. I have 4 in mind that I would like to try. I'll list pros and cons for each of them and I'll give a little conclusion at the end of each one. So let's get started.

Standard:
1. Aegislash-EX (PHF)
2. Giratina-EX (AOR)
3. Seismitoad-EX (FFI)
4. Glalie-EX (BRT)

Expanded:
1. Landorus-EX (BCR)

Aegislash-EX

Pros:
-Mighty Shield ability

Cons:
-Hard to power-up without Bronzong
-Played with Haunter and Bronzong the deck can become clunky

I don't really like Aegislash-EX with Haunter too much because it can be hard to power up. With that soul reason I don't think it can be great with the card

Grade: D

Giratina-EX

Pros:
-Renegade Pulse ability
-Decent attack cost if used with DCE & DDE
-Good Damage Output
-Special Energy Lock
-Tool Lock
-Stadium Lock

Cons:
-First turns can be pretty slow
-Hard to move if Lysandered
-Tad bit clunky
-Jirachi Promo messes you up

Giratina-EX can hit for massive amounts along with distruption and status conditions it becomes a huge pain which is why I love it. I can get passed Jirachi because it is normally a one of so I can get a KO on it and I am done with it. Clunkyness isn't much of an issue if you run a lower line of Haunter.

Grade: A

Seismitoad-EX

Pros:
-Low Energy Cost
-Item Lock
-Decent Damage with Haunter

Cons:
-Jirachi Promo = Auto Loss
-Low damage without Haunter

Seismitoad-EX is great with Haunter and I would love it if it were not for low damage output and the Jirachi=Autoloss

Grade: C+

Glalie-EX

Pros:
-Low energy cost
-Great damage output
-Fast-ish

Cons:
-Need same hand size
-Slower lategame

Glalie-EX can hit for good damage when combined with Judge, Battle Reporter and Haunter. By turn 3 you could get consistent damage.

Grade: B

Expanded

Landorus-EX

Pros:
-Fast
-Low energy cost
-Decent damage
-Sniping

Cons:
-Sluggish lategame
-Clunky-ish

I love Landorus-EX with Haunter because it take distruption and shoves it in with fast damage.

Grade: A+

I love all of these cards with Haunter, but I think two really stand out. Giratina-EX and Landorus-EX

Giratina hits for massive damage with distruption and decent speed.

Landorus hits for decent damage at crazy speed.

Both can have some great partners to make them better like Landorus with Hawlucha or Giratina with Seismitoad. I think that Landorus might actually be able to win a few tournaments and it is now competing with Houndoom for me to decide which to play at states. Alright leave some good partners for Haunter down below and some good ways to play those cards. Thanks! :D

-Gengar

Last edited:
Haunter has a lot of nice combinations... and not only EXs with [C][C][C] retreat costs. I'm currently looking at things like Qwilfish FLF, Ariados AOR, Dunsparce XY/Wobbuffet PHF as potential partners for either Poison/Confusion madness and/or extra damage, each attached with Sparkling Robe.

1) You need more than just Heavy Boot; for starters there are multiple ways to be immune to Special Conditions.

2) There are also decks that contain pivot Pokémon, either something simple like a Hawlucha-EX or a little more high end like Keldeo-EX plus Float Stone. Doesn't matter if you Confuse yourself if you can shake it easily.

3) It also doesn't matter if your opponent can shake it easily and/or before it matters. If you're not using this for a control style deck then it probably needs to be combined with an attacker that cares about Special Conditions in general or Confusion specifically.

Oh yeah! I was testing around with I love working with Haunter/Ariados the only problem I guess is it can get a little bit more clunky since you need to evolve Haunter multiple times. Qwilfish seems kinda meh to me with only 80 HP and I don't like that it's attack takes up a DCE. I see how you like Dunsparce seeing it is colorless so I will test it out. Wobbuffet seems great with this kind of strategy since Haunter is also [P] type!

1) You need more than just Heavy Boot; for starters there are multiple ways to be immune to Special Conditions.

2) There are also decks that contain pivot Pokémon, either something simple like a Hawlucha-EX or a little more high end like Keldeo-EX plus Float Stone. Doesn't matter if you Confuse yourself if you can shake it easily.

3) It also doesn't matter if your opponent can shake it easily and/or before it matters. If you're not using this for a control style deck then it probably needs to be combined with an attacker that cares about Special Conditions in general or Confusion specifically.

Great points! I would like to focus on your 3rd point though for now. The 3rd point gave me the idea to use Giratina (PLS) in combonation with Heavy Boot. 150 HP, 100 damage, immunity to confusion. Seems decent to me. Thanks!

As I mentioned in the other thread, Trevenant EX can trap Pokemon in with Confusion, standing as a mighty Oak at 200 HP (hueh). It isn't exactly the best thing, but the fact is...
HE'S PLAYABLE YAY! 8D

Wait. I'm confused. What is the point of confusing the opposing pokemon? With switch, float stone, escape rope, and AZ flying around I'm not very excited for any special condition. Also, the attack might just go straight through. It might be okay with Machamp EX. Everyone is also forgetting sparkling robe (no special conditions at all). I guess I just don't think confusing would really be that good, or helpful in a lot of cases. At some points you might get out the the attack and get the KO, but then they KO you back.

Because it still forces them to switch if they want to remove the condition... By that logic, Poison is also useless, which is a false statement.

Just tested Landorus/Haunter and went 7-3-2... Ew. Here is how I am going to test them tonight. I'll send my results most likely in the morning.

Landorus-EX/Haunter
Glalie-EX/Haunter/Judge
Trevenant-EX/Haunter/Ariados
Seismitoad-EX/Haunter
Giratina-EX/Haunter

Thanks for all of your comments on this thread! :D

-Gengar

Just went 1-3-0 with Glalie-EX/Haunter. Never. Again. It was horrible. I honestly have no idea how I won a single game.

Tbh, thats 2 more wins than expected xD what was good and bad about it?

Now now, nothing really isnt a proper analysis. Even if the bad outweighs the good, proper analysis and good practice require positive mentions as well.

I took question into my head and literally couldn't remember a good thing with Trevenant-EX. The only thing is if you can setup synergy between itself and Airados/Haunter which sounds amazing on paper, but it just got very clunky and such. The deck needs some speed and distruption.

Actually, that was very useful info! ^^ Means hammers could be a good idea and such.

Back