Discussion What Rogues are People Playing?

I love when people mention my thread on things. <3
Actually, since we are on the topic of Rogue Decks, there is one me and @bbninjas have been discussing a bit that I will be testing once the rest of the cards finally come in.

Pokemon:
  • 4 Cubone (BKT 77)
  • 4 Marowak (BKT 78)
  • 1 Marowak BREAK
  • 2 Wobbuffet (PTF 36)
  • 1 Hawlucha (FFI 63)
  • 1 Eevee (AOR 63)
  • 1 Jolteon (AOR 26) / Flareon (AOR 13) (Meta pick)

Supporter/Item/Stadium:
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Korrina
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Xerosic
  • 1 Steven / Hex Maniac (preference pick)
  • 1 Wally
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 3 Robo Substitute
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Switch
  • 1 Focus Sash
  • 1 Enhanced Hammer
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 2 Fighting Stadium

Energy:
  • 4 Strong Energy
  • 5 Fighting Energy

Now, my build is weird compared to most, but eh, I'm weird in general. :p
    It is the exact same concept as Donphan in Expanded, except you A. Use Marowak from BREAKthrough and B. You hit harder overall and only get the switch on things that really matter (nasty EX Pokemon). I say this because most times, you don't want to switch on non-EX (especially when you can hit them so hard. Muscle Band + Strong Energy is a nice 100 Damage off of Bone Windmill, which really is easy to set up considering Korrina searches for both Marowak and Muscle Band). Then, if you do deal with EX Pokemon, you get to switch in to Wobbuffet, who literally affects NO ONE on your bench when he is in active (Hawlucha and Jolteon don't care when he is in active since Hawlucha's Ability is offensive and Jolteon can't affect Wobbuffet anyway). I include 1 Marowak BREAK for late game, simply because having the option is good. You could include more, but I really see little point (and space). Heck, even if I drop a Fighting Energy, I would rather play something else, like another Robo Substitute or VS Seeker. Still, testing is the key to consistency, which is the key to victory.

Enjoy, guys. :D

Have you considered using the Octillery line over the Slurpuffs? Seems strictly better for this deck.

I would, but the issue is that I can't use it if I have more than 5 cards in my hand, and I tend to be holding on to a lot of cards later in the game.

I'm afraid to post this deck because it is the most annoying rouge deck I've ever come up. However, it wins games.

Pokemon 13
3 Malmar EX
2 Shaymin
4 Patrat
4 Watchog

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy3/85/

Trainers
Supporters 11
3 Professor Sycamores
2 Professor Birches
1 Xerosic
1 Shauna
1 AZ
3 Lysander

Items 25
4 Ultra Balls
4 VS Seekers
4 Trick Coin
1 Battle Compressors
3 Trainers Mail
3 Crushing Hammer
1 Switch
1 Escape rope
1 Enhanced Hammer
2 Head Ringer

Stadium 2
2 Shadow Circle

Energy 9
4 DCE
5 Dark Energy

The idea of the deck is energy disruption and sleep. You play Watchog in the active and put the opponent to sleep in the background with Malmar EX. When the opponent decides to go to the bench for charging, you Lysander them out and start stripping energy away. Once enough energy is off the board, you bring up Malmar EX up and start waking for big damage. It has some bad matchups, but because of the oddity of it, it can just frustrate opponents to know end and throw them off their game strategy.

I'm afraid to post this deck because it is the most annoying rogue deck I've ever come up. However, it wins games.

Pokemon 13
3 Malmar EX
2 Shaymin
4 Patrat
4 Watchog

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy3/85/

Trainers
Supporters 11
3 Professor Sycamores
2 Professor Birches
1 Xerosic
1 Shauna
1 AZ
3 Lysander

Items 25
4 Ultra Balls
4 VS Seekers
4 Trick Coin
1 Battle Compressors
3 Trainers Mail
3 Crushing Hammer
1 Switch
1 Escape rope
1 Enhanced Hammer
2 Head Ringer

Stadium 2
2 Shadow Circle

Energy 9
4 DCE
5 Dark Energy

The idea of the deck is energy disruption and sleep. You play Watchog in the active and put the opponent to sleep in the background with Malmar EX. When the opponent decides to go to the bench for charging, you Lysander them out and start stripping energy away. Once enough energy is off the board, you bring up Malmar EX up and start waking for big damage. It has some bad matchups, but because of the oddity of it, it can just frustrate opponents to know end and throw them off their game strategy.
I played a similar deck to this but instead ran aqua Zangoose instead of watchog. Same concept and just as annoying.

I'm working on getting some money to buy my expanded deck, Charizard-EX donk. Here is a list and if you want to make some suggestions please tell me in my thread for this deck which can be found here: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/donkizard-charizard-donk.126846/

Here is the list!

Pokemon: 7
4x Charizard-EX (FLF Combustion Blast)
3x Shaymin-EX (ROS)

Supporter/Item/Stadium: 44
4x Blacksmith
4x Sycamore
2x Hex Maniac
1x Giovanni's Scheme
4x Battle Compressor
4x VS Seeker
4x Roller Skates
4x Super Scoop Up
4x Hypnotoxic Laser
3x Muscle Band
3x Switch
3x Ultra Ball
1x Computer Search
3x Virbank City Gym

Energy: 9
4x DCE
5x Fire Energy

Strategy:
So pretty much you are trying to setup a 170 damage combustion blast to OHKO (One hit knock out.) a lot of EX Pokemon. and to continually stream this damage we play 3 switch, they can also be used to switch out of Shaymin if you start with it. Mega Pokemon are definatley a problem for this deck which is why on the rare occasion we can use Muscle Band + Hypnotoxic Laser + Virbank + Giovanni's Scheme to deal 220 damage.

I played a similar deck to this but instead ran aqua Zangoose instead of watchog. Same concept and just as annoying.

Yes, that is a good strategy too.

One of things I liked about Watchog is his first attack. If the deck doesn't get the DCE, held item inspection is quite annoying. I've used it to reshuffle in Energy retrievals, Professor letters and vs seekers, which keeps the opponent stuck and continually searching for the energy drop so they need to discard a hole bunch of cards, or just pass the turn if they don't have supporter. But like I said, it can get some bad matches. I'm not playing competitively this year, so I'd love to watch someone win with it. It would make me chuckle.

I'm working on getting some money to buy my expanded deck, Charizard-EX donk. Here is a list and if you want to make some suggestions please tell me in my thread for this deck which can be found here: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/donkizard-charizard-donk.126846/

Here is the list!

Pokemon: 7
4x Charizard-EX (FLF Combustion Blast)
3x Shaymin-EX (ROS)

Supporter/Item/Stadium: 44
4x Blacksmith
4x Sycamore
2x Hex Maniac
1x Giovanni's Scheme
4x Battle Compressor
4x VS Seeker
4x Roller Skates
4x Super Scoop Up
4x Hypnotoxic Laser
3x Muscle Band
3x Switch
3x Ultra Ball
1x Computer Search
3x Virbank City Gym

Energy: 9
4x DCE
5x Fire Energy

Strategy:
So pretty much you are trying to setup a 170 damage combustion blast to OHKO (One hit knock out.) a lot of EX Pokemon. and to continually stream this damage we play 3 switch, they can also be used to switch out of Shaymin if you start with it. Mega Pokemon are definatley a problem for this deck which is why on the rare occasion we can use Muscle Band + Hypnotoxic Laser + Virbank + Giovanni's Scheme to deal 220 damage.

I built this but differently. Here are the changes I would make:

-4 Hypnolaser
-3 bank
-1 sycamore
-2 blacksmith
-2 hex
-2 scheme
Total: -14

+4 unown
+3 fire
+1 muscle band
+1 Shaymin
+1 ultra ball
+1 entei (no ancient trait)
+3 scorched earth

Helps with the aggressive. Honestly, I think it is really good. Worked when I built it. Also, there is more anti-ex stuff in expanded.

@Asmer started this thread: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/the-blazing-hellhound-m-houndoom-ex-discussion.126551/ weeks ago. IMO, the deck concept, supporting cards, etc. is very solid and I consider this deck "rogue" only as much as it has "not yet been proven at major tournaments" yet, but watch out for it. It is very solid... based on my play-testing thus far too.

I think this deck is only strong for its surprise aspect as houndoom might signal a quick M into blacksmith for turn 2 160 damage. Once people realise it is a mill deck (when you play trick shovel / hammers / not equip spirit links), it gets beat easily. You will easily lose to Bronzong / Manectric / item lock and even Night March decks.

I've played Vespi March against this deck and still won despite the natural milling of a night march deck. Equipping a DCE every turn only when using it negates the use of hammers, and Houndoom's milling down the deck might also be helpful to the Night march player (unless it mills through a DCE).

Here's my Gengar deck from TCGone

Pokemon

4 Gengar-EX
2 M Gengar-EX
4 Wobbuffet
1 Shaymin-EX
2 Deoxys

Trainers

1 Lysandre
4 Ultra Ball
4 Professor Birch's Observations
1 Teammates
2 Switch
4 Robo Substitute
3 VS Seeker
1 Xerosic
4 Dimension Valley
2 Gengar Spirit Link
4 Muscle Band
4 Professor Sycamore
2 Shauna

Energy

7 Psychic
4 Mystery

Just a typical Gengar EX deck with a line of M Gengar. I haven't updated it with cards from the latest set, but I'd probably add Giovanni's scheme for extra damage.

I think this deck is only strong for its surprise aspect as houndoom might signal a quick M into blacksmith for turn 2 160 damage. Once people realise it is a mill deck (when you play trick shovel / hammers / not equip spirit links), it gets beat easily. You will easily lose to Bronzong / Manectric / item lock and even Night March decks.

I've played Vespi March against this deck and still won despite the natural milling of a night march deck. Equipping a DCE every turn only when using it negates the use of hammers, and Houndoom's milling down the deck might also be helpful to the Night march player (unless it mills through a DCE).

I honestly disagree. Even by equipping only when you need it, you still have to have it. If anything, Hammer makes it so that they have less options to even have the option of winning. I would go in to statistical numbers of DCE being in Prize + The Chances of Drawing DCE + The Chances of Milling DCE, but that takes too long and no one wants to read a bunch of numbers. :p
Fact is, you have a natural advantage against Low Energy decks because that is exactly how the deck is built: To ruin Low Energy decks. It's why we run Mill. It's why we run Hammers. The second part of your statement is really contradictory to the nature of the deck itself, which leads me to state this: Every deck loses, but that does not mean the deck is bad. Perhaps you had a bad game or two, but that does not make this a bad deck that will lose to match ups like Night March, especially when Night March is solely reliant on A. Self Mill and B. Pokemon with low HP.

That said, Bronzong and Manectric are naturally good against this deck in the same way they are naturally good against Bunnelby Mill: They are decks that don't need the Mill, but appreciate it. This is different from Night March, or even Bees, in regards to how the decks work. The latter two need things in the Discard in order to accelerate. Metal Ray Ray and Manectric EX can not only do without super hardcore self-milling, but also need less things to hit the Discard Pile overall. That, alongside the fact that they both hit hard, is why the match ups are in their favor.

I'm currently working on a Haunter/Heavy Boot/Landorus-EX deck! It is doing amazingly in testing right now! :D

I will look in a few. I just realized you can do the same with Trevenant EX in Standard, trapping them in with Confusion (sans Switch/Escape Rope etc.). Granted, he's much weaker and I'm sure there's probably a better version of him in Standard, but eh, I've always wanted to give the poor thing a purpose. :3

Back