Discussion When you think Toad is dead in Standard: Seismitoad EX / Gengar / Heavy Boots

Bungeegum

Aspiring Trainer
While I was thinking how to make the new Gengar work, I was enlightened with, to my opinion, a terrible or good idea for a deck, depending on your point of view and... personal values, involving the following cards:

200px-SeismitoadEXFuriousFists106.jpg
200px-GengarBREAKthrough60.jpg

The idea is simple and at this point may seem obvious, but I will explain it anyway. The objective is to attack with Quaking Punch, preventing your opponent to play items besides gathering damage to make Creep Show work, while you can set up safely your gengars. However, this is not the only combo you can make with toad and the ghosts, you can also abuse of the Haunter ability "Gothic Fear":

180px-HaunterBREAKthrough59.jpg
180px-HeavyBootsBREAKthrough141.jpg

So this way, you can have a 200 hp Toad Tank, locking down your opponent of items while having trapped his attackers in confusion and also having the possibility of knocking out every one of his pokemon with some timing and switch magic.

I will not share my list for obvious reasons, but just to have it in mind, i think other good additions for this deck are:
- Disruption items like ringers or hammers to borrow you more setup time
- Absol ROS
- Super Scoop Up

What do you guys think? I have been testing this idea for week, and it works terrific, with some hard matches against weakness, but always giving to your opponent a hard time... being confused while you cannot play items and the shadow of creep show knocking any of your pokemon are a really hideous combination.

Hmm... nothing concrete to say about it for the obvious reason: no data! The concept is intriguing, though in general I am skeptical of claims that Seismitoad-EX is truly dead. I keep hearing that only to crash into several examples of it being alive and well. Need a lot of tournament results to see if the deck should usually be knocked out before the top cut by Grass-Types.

Interesting idea! Though I wouldn't play the Gengar just because it may be a little bit too clunky. I think with just a 3-3 or 4-4 of Haunter this deck could be a force if not for one big reason. Seismitoad-EX gets confused too! Meaning it is harder to keep up the flow of item lock which is what makes the deck so strong.

Edit: Just saw the heavy boots. I feel dumb now.

I didn't think about using toad, but I run the deck with Mew Two EX and it does fairly well. Mewtwo EX stays around a bit because of his second attack, basically transferring damage back onto the opponent and is only a single energy drop for 30 points of damage. The deck can run really lean because of this and doesn't rely on special energy.

This deck would be horrible against vespiquen until haunter. I think that confusion really helps this deck out with seismitoad being weak to grass and vespiquen will easily knock out gengar. If this deck is expanded you should run laser bank combo so you can knock out with gengar.

EDIT: LOL! lazerbank is in between turns. It could have been a good combo though.

Made my own version of the deck here!

I have yet to get all the pieces I need online to make it, but I definitely think this is a fun little idea. I would recommend a Latios-EX just in case your opponent chooses to go second- then you can get 40 damage on the board and set up the Gengar for a turn 2 Creep Show. This way it doesn't matter as much if you go first or second. This would also help a bit with the Vespiquen matchup, allowing you to take out Combees with no worry of Latios being hit for weakness.

I hadn't thought about Heavy Boots, but that is a very clever idea if you plan to evolve through the Gengar line. And if you want to make this deck competitive, you may very well have to thanks to Vileplume and Toad...

Thank you all for the amazing support! I've been testing this idea trough this week and it was a lot of fun and success, the only hard match is against vespiquen and sceptile, but for that and some weakness policy are worth the space. Also you that idea to include a Latios is awesome! I will surely try it.

Back