RMT Be Your Wings!

Skyleaf2000

Resident UB Enthusiast
This is my first team that I actually tried to build well. It's not very good because of that, and I likely need a lot of help before my team is a threat.
@Jabberwock told me to head to this forum for help on my team. So here it is:

=== [anythinggoes] Be Your Wings! ===

Teepo (Mew) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Explosion
- Aura Sphere
- Night Shade

Rowen Illbert (Pangoro) (M) @ Roseli Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 160 HP / 104 SpA / 244 Spe
Calm Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Claw
- Brick Break
- Gunk Shot

Milla Maxwell (Gardevoir-Mega) (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 44 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 208 Spe
Calm Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psyshock
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball

Alvin (Infernape) (M) @ Passho Berry
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 152 Atk / 72 Def / 4 SpA / 176 SpD / 104 Spe
Gentle Nature
- Mach Punch
- Heat Wave
- Close Combat
- Fire Punch

Elize Lutus (Seviper) (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Sassy Nature
- Switcheroo
- Poison Tail
- Poison Jab
- Glare

Leia Rolando (Sylveon) (F) @ Lax Incense
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 236 HP / 204 SpA / 68 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Detect
- Calm Mind

There it is! What can I improve upon?

It's better to be here rather than the RMT forum since the RMT forum is for completed teams that want feedback and/or help others.
This team looks like it's completed but there is no explanation about each set. Can you explain a bit about each Pokemon?
Is it really for the AG metagame? I don't know how much you can consider it a competitive meta but I'll try to help from what I know, I just need more info about the Pokemon. Why did you choose them and their moves/items EV's etc.

I'm very very much a newbie, so I mainly started out with Pokemon I like, then switched a few around.

I always start out with Teepo (Mew) because it's highly unexpected. If the Pokemon in front is not weak to Fighting (which oddly, most on Showdown seem to be), I use Dragon Tail to switch them out. Night Shade is really just a filler move, I guess... When Teepo's health gets low, it uses Explosion to make the most of its last few HP. The Expert Belt is to emphasize the power of Aura Sphere (or Dragon Tail if the opponent is Dragon-Type), hopefully making the power unexpected for a Mew.

Rowen (Pangoro) obviously has a Roseli Berry to help protect against Fairy-Types. He can then attack using Gunk Shot... I mainly use him against Psychic-Types because most of my team is weak to Psychic. Rowen is immune, making him good with his Dark Pulse move.
This Pokemon isn't really the best, so I will definitely replace him if I get a better idea.

Milla (Gardevoir) is mainly based upon her Hyper Voice move. With Mega Gardevoir's Pixilate ability, Hyper Voice becomes Fairy-Type and has a base power of 117. She's primarily a fast sweeper. Usually, if the opponent isn't weak to Fairy, it's weak to Psychic or Ghost. Not sure if that's just my luck.

Alvin (Infernape) is also a very uninspired fighter, mainly focusing on Close Combat and Heat Wave. Not really much to say here; if any will be replaced, he'd be the first. He has a Passho Berry only to protect against Water.

Elize (Seviper) is slightly more strategic. Poison Tail is a filler move, I rarely use it. Glare is used against a fast opponent to paralyze them and hopefully make them easier for my other Pokemon to beat. When her HP gets low, she quickly uses Switcheroo to give the opponent a harmful Black Sludge. It even affects opponents with Poison Heal, so that's helpful. If the opponent is a Fairy-Type, Elize can usually OHKO them with Poison Jab.

Leia (Sylveon) is really just a repeat of Milla, a fast Fairy-Type attacker. I also occasionally use her Detect to see how an opponent would try to beat Milla. Calm Mind is just in case the opponent has a really terrible Attack or Sp. Attack against her.

Elize and Leia are more support Pokemon than anything.
Alvin and Rowen are not very good fighters, so I'm looking for replacements.
Teepo and Milla could probably use a little work, but I'd like them to stay mainly the same.

You did not explain about the EV's so I'll just ignore them for now.
I still need to know what metagame are you playing with this team? Is it really AG? If it is then I find it hard to tell you what to do since there are pretty much no rules in that metagame as far as I know so it's really hard for me to give you advice what to do in order to beat common threats since in AG, everything is possible and there is no pattern that I can go with unlike VGC for example where I can tell you that you should use XYZ to handle with this and that.
Some things that I can point out though :

-Berries: I see many people using berries that are weakening certain attacks according to their type. I think that it is really not a thing you should focus on with your Pokemon unless the need to be able to take a hit from a certain super effective type attack is crucial. For example, Volcarona in OU is a set up special sweeper with crucial low defense stat. Since it is very fast after Quiver Dance, not many Pokemon in the OU metagame can stop it with one hit. However, having the right berry against water-type attacks is crucial in order to be able to take Aqua Jet from Azumarill which is very common in OU. Aqua Jet is a priority move, meaning that no matter how fast Volcarona is, Azumarill's Aqua Jet will go first.
Since Volcarona has access to Giga Drain it can then retaliate and attempt to OHKO Azumarill.
If you ave a Pokemon like Infernape though, and you play it in OU, you want to focus on its ability to hit hard as possible so you use Life Orb.

-Nature: You must use the right nature in competitive battles. Pangoro with a Calm nature and physical moves is really a bad combination. Calm nature reduces your physical attack by 10% and raise your special attack by 10%. Check all the nature effects and look at the current natures your Pokemon have.

-Base Stats: Learn the base stats of each of your Pokemon. Sylveon is by no means a fast attacker. He has a very low speed stat of 60. Pangoro's special attack stat is only 69 which means Dark Pulse is not going to do a lot of damage.

If you are not familiar with these terms, I really recommend to search them on the Internet since there are plenty of guides that can quickly help you to get these crucial things for competitive battle.

Good luck :)

You did not explain about the EV's so I'll just ignore them for now.
For the EVs, I basically took the Smogon recommended stats and edited them a tad to make it feel more balanced. I don't really know what to focus on, so I try to make them well-rounded, usually. ^^;

I still need to know what metagame are you playing with this team? Is it really AG?
I didn't really know what place to put them, so I threw them into AG. What would you recommend for this team? :)

Oh, I really recommend that you'll do the opposite. First, find out what metagame you want to play in and then build a team. The team that you are building should be designed to feat the metagame you play. OU and VGC are the most common metagame. Do you like Doubles or Singles?

About the EV's, if you don't know much about them and you take EV spreads from any source, make sure to look what the EV's are for. If you change even a little bit the EV spread it might ruin the purpose of the whole spread. For example, a Pokemon might have 72 EV's at special defense because thanks to that specific EV it can take a hit without getting OHKO'ed from a common threat in the metagame in which said Pokemon is being used. Again, it's all depends on what metagame you play.

If you are playing for fun, your team is perfect already. If you play competitively you need to know about the basic terms (EV's Natures Items, Base Stats) and about the metagame (the competitive environment and its rules) you want to play in.

Back