2 Silent Lab
1 Fighting Stadium
1 Shrine of Memories
Energy: 14
2DCE
8 Fighting Energy
4 Strong Energy

What should I remove to put 2 float stones in

There is an issue with that, first off , teching 2 battle compressor isn't that big of a deal but then how many times to you plan on using shout of power and or mega turbo? You can't actually know, second I have an issue opposed to playing cards like landorus shout of power early game It put's your slow deck in a bad position, for instance the whole point of playing wobbuffet active is to shut down shaymins for draw power forcing them to use a trainer based engine which for the most time dead draws w/o abilities to use turn 1 and by the time you have 1 primal groudon and your swinging dealing enough dmg at the fact of playing down a shaymin, well I'm going to play down a scarf so they can't ohko me and forcibly deal minimal dmg for turn 2 just put's me into range for taking a second ohko. So 4 prizes in 2 turns but I couldn't achieve this w/o the willingness of shutting down there shaymin so they have slower draw power then yours truly making there setup just as slow as mine if not slower.

So this is where I will 100% disagree and say that wobbuffet is so much better to play then landorus shout of power.

As for dragonite, 2-1-2 with 2 rare candy wouldn't be that bad, the deck runs 4 korrina so getting it out wouldn't be a problem, but imo unless your willing to run 3-4 scarf then your going to have to sacrifice a lot of space in your deck just to fit those 7 cards inside before ultra ball, I just don't see that happening.

In my opinion, rare candy for dragonite isn't all that great. It forces you to have a two card combination in order to grab dragonite (rare candy and the dragonite). This means that if you already don't have both cards in your hand you will have to play korrina again to search out the other piece of the puzzle. It would be much simpler to manually evolve and then only have to search for dragonite as opposed to having to dig for both rare candy and dragonite. As for the baby Landorus, it's just a fun idea for right now. I don't see it doing very well outside of maybe a few league challenges.

You know my original post was stating how much of a waste of space in the deck it is and you might as well put a fourth scarf in there. Candy is better, wally and evo soda aren't options, why candy? there will be turns where you will have the dratini in hand and the dragonite in hand even if you play 2-2-2, it's better to have a short cut option then not having one at all, this is why candy is better then not having it because you can't korrina for a dragon pokemon.

What if you are forced to get a dragonite into play, but your set up still isn't complete. Say you need an energy in order to attack with primal groudon, but it it already damaged. You have a korrina in hand so you can get either the professor's letter or the rare candy. What do you do? or say you have a professor juniper in hand and you need to get dragonite into play, but you don't have the rare candy. Now you have to dig for both the rare candy and another dragonite as opposed to manually evolving the dratini the turn before so you can just lay down the dragonite. Especially with a deck like this, you need to accomplish multiple things in one turn most of the time. Now say for instance if you were already set up and you had some damage on your primal groudon, then you can go for the rare candy with korrina. Now say for instance you needed a dragonite in play and you had none of the two card combo you would need to be able to get it out that turn and the only card you had in your hand was a korrina. You can either grab the heavy ball/ultra ball for the dragonite or the rare candy. Now if you had manually evolved it the turn before, you could simply korrina for the heavy ball/ultra ball and you would be able to get the dragonite out and heal your primal groudon.

Breakthrough Gallade seems like a possible answer to Regice. It 1HKOs it and the Premonition ability is also a great consistency booster. Obviously you don't really want to run a full evolution line so I think it needs to be a Maxie build.

I am toying with the idea of 1-3 Primal Groudon line so you can set up one in the normal way, and then Maxie for another or for Gallade. I am unsure about whether to use Landorus or Wobbafet as partner. At first I thought Landorus, since Wobbafet would cancel out Gallade's ability. But it is quite possible you would not have Gallade out until later into the game, when you were attacking with Groudon anyway. Anyway, it might be worth not having access to premonition for a few turns early on just to mess with their Shaymins.

I guess I need to test it.

Bad idea, the point of Primal Groudon is to get a bulky, wall Pokémon that can OHKO everything out as fast as possible. I still need to test as far as Breakthrough with cards like Heavy boots, or Assault Vest, and once I do that, I'll post the list. This deck basically loses against Giratina/Toad or Giratina Vileplume, and autolosses against Vespiquen. My list at least keeps up with Giratina, but I need to figure out a way to beat Vespiquen. And it's not just weakness that makes you lose, it's also partially because of Vespiquen's raw speed setup.

What if you are forced to get a dragonite into play, but your set up still isn't complete. Say you need an energy in order to attack with primal groudon, but it it already damaged. You have a korrina in hand so you can get either the professor's letter or the rare candy. What do you do? or say you have a professor juniper in hand and you need to get dragonite into play, but you don't have the rare candy. Now you have to dig for both the rare candy and another dragonite as opposed to manually evolving the dratini the turn before so you can just lay down the dragonite. Especially with a deck like this, you need to accomplish multiple things in one turn most of the time. Now say for instance if you were already set up and you had some damage on your primal groudon, then you can go for the rare candy with korrina. Now say for instance you needed a dragonite in play and you had none of the two card combo you would need to be able to get it out that turn and the only card you had in your hand was a korrina. You can either grab the heavy ball/ultra ball for the dragonite or the rare candy. Now if you had manually evolved it the turn before, you could simply korrina for the heavy ball/ultra ball and you would be able to get the dragonite out and heal your primal groudon.

This is where I stop you and say no, there is not multiple things to do in one turn with primal groudon more like multiple things to do over 3-4 turns, primal groudon turn by turn wise is fairly simplified, If you have to juniper to discard the dragonite, discard the dragonite, forcing the search for dragonite through korrina does 1 of 2 things, 1. lowers setup ratio for the secondary primal groudon and 2. groudon takes 2 hits with focus after that it's done if you cannot get the search within 2 turns it's dead draw and you essentially cannot heal the groudon because it's ko'd, the better option is most likely to rely on draw power over search power, w/o initial setup to groudon if the secondary platform you use to assist lowers to consistency of your primary attacker your deck becomes less efficient and becomes an inferior tech. So I go back to my original post, it's not worth the 6+ slots in your deck.

I have n/p with vespiquen, I ask you use more focus sash and force wobb active asap, stalling and being able to land 2-4 prizes per 2 turn's becomes very beneficial. My initial testing was against vespiquen/flareon, groudon has a 70/30 win ratio if played correctly. Giratina, force a stadium active before chaos wheel then go in for hex maniac.

You don't really need spirit links in P-Groudon as you take a couple of turns w/o attacking to power up in the first place. Adding them just adds to the clunkiness.

You don't really need spirit links in P-Groudon as you take a couple of turns w/o attacking to power up in the first place. Adding them just adds to the clunkiness.
Well, not necessarily. I do think that I'd rather have hard charms, 1 spirit link can be pretty helpful, because you WILL get bad games no matter how you play Primal Groudon, that's just how life goes, but the very least you can do in those games is spirit to avoid 1 of two things, wasting a turn to mega if you have no choice between that and Sycamore, or avoid Head Ringers turn 1, considering myself an expert on the deck, I say that it would be a good idea to play a spirit link, depending on which variant you're playing, and no matter what, there will be a situation where you wish you had one at least once.
Drop dragonite and candies for 4 gallade(BKT) and 4Maxie.
As for this-No. Gallade is a horrible idea, and especially with a 4-4 Maxie split. everyone should keep it simple with3-3 Groudon, 3/4 Wobbuffet, and maybe Bunnelby or Regirock.

And for my own ideas, I've had very good success with a list that included 2 Hex Maniacs, and a Pal Pad. I haven't had time to play with Breakthrough a whole lot yet, but I do know that 1/2 Parallel City is good for multiple reasons, and I do think that Assault Vest could have a place in this deck. I still have trouble with beating Vespiquen, so if any of you who are EXPERIANCED with beating Vespiquen with this, let me know please.

Well, not necessarily. I do think that I'd rather have hard charms, 1 spirit link can be pretty helpful, because you WILL get bad games no matter how you play Primal Groudon, that's just how life goes, but the very least you can do in those games is spirit to avoid 1 of two things, wasting a turn to mega if you have no choice between that and Sycamore, or avoid Head Ringers turn 1, considering myself an expert on the deck, I say that it would be a good idea to play a spirit link, depending on which variant you're playing, and no matter what, there will be a situation where you wish you had one at least once.

Even so, adding multiple links as well as a Masquerain line would cause the deck to get a bit clunky, which is why I personally would suggest against too many. :p

Even so, adding multiple links as well as a Masquerain line would cause the deck to get a bit clunky, which is why I personally would suggest against too many. :p
Definitely! I never did understand why people thought it was a good idea to add Masquerain to Groudon. :p
My first thought was to play it with Landorus. So if you're gonna play the Spirit Link, don't play more than 1, and if you're gonna play Groudon, DON'T PLAY WITH MASQUERAIN!

WOAH! when did Primal Groudon all of the sudden go into tier 4?

Just gonna say it, did ANYONE think about maybe playing Promo Jirachi? It beats Vespiquen and Giratina and Toad. And Bunnelby/ Regirock could also help with unfavorable matchups.

Last edited by a moderator:
I swear this was a Tier 2 Decks not that long ago. What hard counters this for it to drop to T4?

WOAH! when did Primal Groudon all of the sudden go into tier 4?

I swear this was a Tier 2 Decks not that long ago. What hard counters this for it to drop to T4?

Groudon loses hard to Vespiquen. It also has not done well in Standard tournaments, which is what tier lists are based off of. These tiers are just one interpretation of the metagame, though, and your local meta might vary significantly from the overall Standard landscape. It's a deck that can absolutely win games, just not one I'd expect to make cut at competitive Cities right now.

Groudon loses hard to Vespiquen. It also has not done well in Standard tournaments, which is what tier lists are based off of. These tiers are just one interpretation of the metagame, though, and your local meta might vary significantly from the overall Standard landscape. It's a deck that can absolutely win games, just not one I'd expect to make cut at competitive Cities right now.
But it lost to Vespiquen before BKT and it wasn't this low... I'll rephrase: What has changed so dramatically that this deck has fallen so hard?

But it lost to Vespiquen before BKT and it wasn't this low... I'll rephrase: What has changed so dramatically that this deck has fallen so hard?
It was probably too high before, and it was almost completely shut out of Cities during the first week.

This thread is for discussion of the deck itself, so please keep any further tier-related discussion in the sticky at the top of this forum :)

Mega Sceptile EX has seen some cities play, that could also be playing a part in why Primal Groudon has dropped so low. Honestly, I don't think the deck deserves to be THIS low, but I can understand why it is. I've seen virtually no city results with the deck, which is a shame. If I can snag enough points early from cities maybe I'll go in with a Primal Groudon list just for the hell of it and see how it does.

If using Primal Groudon right, you can still beat Sceptile with just Wobbuffet, being able to stop poison and not get OHKO'd, and if all else fails, use Bunnellby to hopefully deck them out.
And against other things Jirachi also works very well. I'm most likely to play either Primal Groudon or Metal Ray at Cities. But if I'm able to scout out the competition, I might just play something rogue. Any ideas of what might be popular with Texas Seniors?

Back