Returning Player - Looking for a Semi-Competitive Deck on a Budget

shadoworganoid

"Crimson Dance, Yugetsu!"
Hello guys and gals,

So its been a couple years since I last logged into this site or even played the game.
Hmm.... The last time I played the game was when Tail Revenge Gyarados was a meta deck. lol
I dropped out of the game due to now one to play with.
Now fast forward a bit, there is a locals again for me to go to.
Unfortunately I already found my home with Force of Will as my main game.

Anyways, I'm COMPLETELY out of the loop of things. The new rules after the Heart Gold/Soul Silver block (which I can look up) and other things. I don't want to get too wrapped up in this game again cause I only have so much money, but I would like to have a modern deck to play for fun a little bit. Something thats not a cheap starter deck... lol

What is a decent semi-competitive deck I could play on a budget?

That Aggron EX and Mega Aggron EX look appealing. Can I build something decent around him on a budget?

Thanks guys.
And sorry if wrong area to post this....

Welcome back to the game!

To be honest, M-Aggron is not really a budget deck. The Aggrons will cost a bit and likely won't be profitable if you wish to trade them away. There are, however, some fairly budget decks that you can find around. The first is Night March, especially the Standard version (linked is an Expanded version). If you're only planning on playing semi-competitive, you won't need the Shaymin-EX (although one will still be good). There is a Medicham AT, Fighting/Crobat and other Fighting decks are often decent budget decks due to the little use of EXs with great Fighting type damage boosters. Vespiquen decks use a lot of commons and uncommons meaning they are more of the staples in supply, although the deck is quite hyped at the moment and, as a result, staples are a bit more expensive. Wobbuffet PHF and Crobat PHF decks may also be decent decks, and you can look around further in the Deck Garage.

If you're playing Expanded (Black and White onwards) rather than Standard (XY onwards), then you could also try out Donphan, along with those decks mentioned above.

Also, since I'm here, have a link to the current rulebook: [link]

Thanks for the fast reply.

Yeah, I'm "trying" to keep this to a casual side game cause if I get too competitive with it, I'll end up losing money on new cards left and right. lol
Wow the rules really have changed then since I last played. I don't recall there being 2 different formats.
For locals, and just fun games, I kinda want to just dust off some of the old EX cards from way back in the day, but their stats are way behind the power creep now.

I meant to say this in the OP, but are any of the new(er) Salamence cards any good? That was usually my main deck regardless of how consistent it was.
Wow, the more I look around at some of the shiny new cards, the less and less I think I'm gonna get away with budget. lol
Manectric EX looks really good.

OK before I turn this post into a rambling rant of clutter;

Its mostly the staples for any deck that concerns me. Staples like in any card game will always hold "X" value.

Is set/block rotation still on a yearly basis? (I forgot the frequency actually)

But alright, I'll check out the deck garage for ideas.

So, if you're trying to keep to the casual side of the game. Here are some good decks that are fun to play and are fairly inexpensive for standard:
  • Huntail/M.Manectric(or Bronzong) is a cheap and fun deck to play. If you go the M.Manectric route, the most expensive card would be the M.Manectric and at most it's $20 and you'd only need 2 at most. So you're looking at around $60-80 if you have 0 of the cards you need since you can get around Shaymin-EX with this deck somewhat. If you go the Bronzong route, it's much cheaper, it's around $40 I'd say at most.
  • Vespiquen I'd still say is a competitive budget deck. The only expensive card is Shaymin EX which is $30-$40 which if you want to play without it you can, it just makes consistency a bit rougher. Without Shaymin it's around $40-$50 or so probably. With it, you're looking at closer to $100+
  • Seismitoad EX/Bats are still easy to get and is cheap to build, Toad being $10-$20 depending on FA or not. I'd say $50-$60 is a solid number on this whole deck.
Expanded:
  • Virizion/Genesect is always easy and cheap to play and is always competitive.
  • Flareon PLF is another good deck to go for since you can replace Shaymin EX for Jirachi EX
  • Donphan as stated above is also easy to build and is cheap.

As bbninja's said, just check out the Deck Garage as they always have some neat decks hanging around.

I hope this helps.

^Thanks for the outline there. The price range helps in the decision making.

As said above, part of me wants to just go back to my roots and play with the Roaring Skies Salamance.
What other pokemon would go good with him????

^Thanks for the outline there. The price range helps in the decision making.

As said above, part of me wants to just go back to my roots and play with the Roaring Skies Salamance.
What other pokemon would go good with him????

Salamence reminds me of the Altaria/Garchomp playdeck before it was rotated out (which is also a good budget deck). In my opinion for this to work you'd need to run things like Reshiram for fire acceleration and Double Dragon Energy. A good tech I'd say would to be to run Giratina EX as well. Wally would also help you as it would make evolving a bit easier. I could make you a deck list of what you can do to make the deck and the cost if you'd like.

Salamence reminds me of the Altaria/Garchomp playdeck before it was rotated out (which is also a good budget deck). In my opinion for this to work you'd need to run things like Reshiram for fire acceleration and Double Dragon Energy. A good tech I'd say would to be to run Giratina EX as well. Wally would also help you as it would make evolving a bit easier. I could make you a deck list of what you can do to make the deck and the cost if you'd like.

Yeah, Salamence has always been my favorite card to use in the card game. Silly me for wasting your time for deck ideas when the answer has always been there in front of me.
I'm scanning over the last 6 or so sets on Serebii and.... wow. There are so many crazy cards now. The game has evolved so much since HG/SS block.

But yes please, a decklist for Salamence would be VERY appreciated. Just include the set for as many as possible seeing as there are lots with the same names and stuff....

Yeah, Salamence has always been my favorite card to use in the card game. Silly me for wasting your time for deck ideas when the answer has always been there in front of me.
I'm scanning over the last 6 or so sets on Serebii and.... wow. There are so many crazy cards now. The game has evolved so much since HG/SS block.

But yes please, a decklist for Salamence would be VERY appreciated. Just include the set for as many as possible seeing as there are lots with the same names and stuff....

Don't worry about it :p.

But yeah, rotations still happen every year after Worlds go on. As far as staples I won't be concerned as much. With the exception Shaymin EX and possibly M. Manectric, most cards wont hit over $20 and average $10-$15 at most as far as most EX and some Supporter cards are concerned.

Back