Discussion Card Battle Ep.2: Teammates VS Pokemon Fan Club

The Poke Tactics

Just a Pokemon fan.
Hello again. This is my 2nd thread of the CARD BATTLE. By the way, thank you for sharing your opinion about my past CARD BATTLE thread. Here's the link if you don't you what I mean:
http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/trevor-vs-bridgette-vs-pokemon-fan-club.126172/#post-2748436

Today,we were talking about the 2 Pokemon searchers that are commonly used in battles: Teammates and the Pokemon Fan Club:
What do these two differ?

Pokemon Fan Club - searches 2 Basic Pokemon directly to your hand.
Teammates - same as the fan club but it can only be used if One of your Pokemon is being defeated by opponent's.

Pls. share your opinions about these two,how they'll used in the metagame,and your best Pokemon searcher.

I can't wait to appreciate your opinions.

Well, I've found Fan Club is best right at the start, and Teammates is best mid-to-late game. I think Teammates is better in non-EX decks, because with lower HP your Pokemon are more likely to be being knocked out (Vespiquen, for example). Fan Club, however, works really well with Hoopa and Shaymin in the format, because you can grab a Hoopa (and thus 3 EXs) and then another Pokemon on top of that. I use it in Bronzong decks to get a Bronzor and a Hoopa.

Fan club is pretty decent. The only problem is that it's only really good the first few turns. So you don't want too many copies. But to consistently get it early enough for it to be useful. It requires you to run 2 to 3. Then you have dead draws later on. Though this doesn't really apply to sky field decks.
Teammates is a little easier. If you want the card in ur deck put one. That's it.

Teammates. Grabs 2 of any card, not many other cards do that. I make sure to run 1 in every deck I play.

I don't really ever use Teammates to search Pokemon. I often search for the techs and energy that are required for my next KO, in the case I ever use it. I reckon Fan Club would be a more superior Pokemon Searcher simply because it can search at any time.

If your deck is good enough, you won't lose a lot of pokemon. Fan club just slaughtered the competition.

If your deck is good enough, you won't lose a lot of pokemon. Fan club just slaughtered the competition.

That is a false statement.

If your deck contains protective effects and you both accomplish your setup and are not subject to counters, then you won't lose a lot of Pokémon. Otherwise, few decks lose a "lot" of Pokémon: the game is over after six Prizes are taken, right? Against however many regular Pokémon you play, unless your opponent has an effect that allows them to take extra Prizes beyond the norm, he or she is only going to KO five of your Pokémon before things are over. If they are running Pokémon-EX, only two can be KOed (the third is the fifth and sixth Prize). Of course, most decks run both so you might get as few as two chances or as many as five to use Teammates, depending on what is KOed and when.

If your opponent is indeed running something that takes extra Prizes off of KOs, then only two KOs may be needed against Pokémon-EX. If your opponent has a deck built around Sky Field Gym, he or she may have a huge amount of Basic Pokémon, so that even five is only a third of them. It doesn't change how many Pokémon are being KOed or how often you'll be able to use Teammates, but the proportions change; what once was "a lot" becomes "a little".

Teammates actually does have a problem in that it might not work when you really need it to work. Pokémon Fan Club actually has the same problem, just much less often; your Bench may be full, though that might qualify as a misplay on your part depending on the circumstances. The main think helping Pokémon Fan Club is snagging a Shaymin-EX (ROS) so that you can add one other Basic Pokémon you want to your hand, then draw up to six cards off of Shaymin-EX. Of course, Teammates can do the same when it works. For decks that are Pokémon-EX heavy and can spare a spot on the Bench, the better choice is probably Hoopa-EX, as it snags three Pokémon-EX (Basic or otherwise) except for other Hoopa-EX.

So the real question is how often do you need to search out two Basic Pokémon? If not often, stick with Teammates and/or Hoopa-EX (when they are Pokémon-EX) and/or nothing, because it probably isn't worth your Supporter. A single Teammates is amazing in decks using Battle Compressor/VS Seeker, and also benefits when most attackers are only worth a single Prize and/or the deck runs Robo Substitute. If you have room, it might be okay just about everywhere else... but remember that if you've got a Pokémon-EX focused deck, you probably only have two chances to use it.

So yeah, if I have to pick one or the other, I'm going with Teammates.

Last edited:
I like Teammates, particularly for decks with non-EX attackers. If you have it in your discard pile, you can get it back whenever with VS Seeker, and if you know something's going down next turn, you can effectively plan out one or even two turns in advance. There have even been times I've gotten cards I know I'll need next turn with Teammates so that I can play some other Supporter next turn.

Fan Club is mostly meh, but it does have the purpose of getting down Zubats turn one in Crobat variants, which is critical in those decks to get as many Zubats on the field as quickly as possible. Brigette is obviously better once it's legal for play, though.

the only thing in common with these 2 cards is the number 2 and supporter, other wise what these 2 cards do in a deck are fundamentally different, ya know, the new search deck for 3 or 1 ex versus fan club sure, this no, I'd rather compare teammates to a VS seeker and see what people think.

the only thing in common with these 2 cards is the number 2 and supporter, other wise what these 2 cards do in a deck are fundamentally different, ya know, the new search deck for 3 or 1 ex versus fan club sure, this no, I'd rather compare teammates to a VS seeker and see what people think.

Agree that the two cards aren't the best for comparison's sake but VS Seeker doesn't strike me as all that good a dance partner either. Twins makes sense; the two cards are very similar, even if the latter hasn't been Standard legal in a little while. Using the current card pool, unrestricted search is valuable but rare; Computer Search might work if we really did into the differences, I suppose.

I like them both a lot, and I don't think they really make a good pair for comparison purposes. It's like asking "Which do you prefer, Paris or steak?"- well, I might have stronger feelings about one than the other, but couldn't you ask "Which do you prefer, Paris or Rome?" or "Which do you prefer, steak or pizza?". (To that end, it would be better to compare Fan Club to Winona and the new supporter Brigitte.)

That being said, my thoughts on the cards:

I really like Pokemon Fan Club now that we have Shaymin and Hoopa. Fan Club had a niche role before because it gave you consistency (early setup) at the expense of speed. Now you can have consistency *and* speed. For any deck that has an important support Pokemon that needs to come out early and/or might be hard to find, it's extremely useful. I find it useful for resource conservation, too- since more of your pieces are in play and you are less likely to have to dig aggressively to set up. I am running 1-2 of them in a lot of decks now.

I don't use Teammates as much, but I am growing fonder of it. The ability to search for any two cards is huge. It can be extremely helpful in any deck that is likely to fall behind (e.g. Primal Groudon), that needs several components to set up (a lot of Mega decks, a deck with stage 2s and rare candy), which plays Robosubs, or which uses "glass cannons". It can be good pretty much at any time after the first couple of turns, too. I am starting to incorporate it more into decks now, and liking it so far.

(To that end, it would be better to compare Fan Club to Winona and the new supporter Brigitte.)

*facepalm*

Seriously, is Talkingcat the first of us to remember Winona, the closest currently available card (at least for most of this discussion) that matches up to Pokémon Fan Club? The whole reason I gave the latter a second chance was because the former was proving useful in certain decks (alongside Shaymin-EX of course). ^^'

Back