Discussion Best Competitive EX's In Red Flash Blue Impact

poke4trade

Raising Ash
If I had to pick what the best card for competitive play might be, I think the below Mewtwo might be the biggest surprise. The reason why I picked this mewtwo is because of vanishing strike. I think you can run this with woubbfet/lando/vileplume and stall a bit for the charge. On top of that, I really really like the attack. Vanishing Strike is such a good attack against Garitini/Agieslash/Regice I think it will go a long way in knocking many pokemon out. What our your thoughts?

M MewTwo EX
Mewtwo EX
M Houndoom EX
Houndoom EX
M Glalie EX
Glalie EX

M Mewtwo-EX – Psychic – HP230
Mega Evolution – Evolves from Mewtwo-EX

When 1 of your Pokemon become a Mega Evolution, your turn ends.

[P][F][F][C] Vanishing Strike: 150+ damage. If there is a Stadium in play, this attack does 50 more damage. This attack’s damage isn’t affected by Resistance or any other effects on the Defending Pokemon.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3

I think the most competitive EX is the Super XBall M Mewtwo. I dont think Vanishing Strike M Mewtwo is good at all, 4 energy attachments on a pokemon vulnerable to Lysandre and Hammers that cant even OHKO a Mega? You might as well be playing M Ttar, at least that deck gets Keldeo.

^Aside from which, the fact that you have to rely on multiple types of Energy hurts if you're not Dragon-type (let's just say M-Mewtwo X wishes it was third-gen, when Double Rainbow Energy existed). It's unreliable and slow to set up, so no matter how delicious that attack looks, it's probably not worth running at all, let alone the best EX from the set. M-Mewtwo Y, on the other hand, is just a straight upgrade on the original Mewtwo-EX that was running around all over the place early on last generation. A minimum of 70 damage (usually going to be more) for a DCE is pretty solid. The rest don't look especially threatening for the most part, although I am definitely intrigued by M-Glalie. You're forced to be careful with your attacks when you're playing against a healthy one, and have to spend a turn or more targeting it with a weaker move or two before going for the big finish or your main attacker is going to get blasted for 250. I don't see it being commonly used because it has to be on the Bench as you set up or the entire strategy is ruined (and it also hates bats, which soften it up enough that the big hitters no longer have to waste a turn on a weaker move if you don't have Rough Seas out), but it can't be discounted as a threat entirely.

The superball Mega Mewtwo is better imo. This thing is X ball on stereods. A DCE will do at least 70.

M Mewtwo-EX – Psychic – HP210
Mega Evolution – Evolves from Mewtwo-EX

When 1 of your Pokemon become a Mega Evolution, your turn ends.

[C][C] Psychic Infinity: 10+ damage. This attack does 10 damage plus 30 more damage for each Energy attached to each player’s Pokemon both player’s Active Pokemon. This attack’s damage isn’t affected by Weakness.

Weakness: Psychic x2
Retreat: 2

I think the basic Mewtwos are ok, nothing like the Next Destinies one, but they might have potential.

Mewtwo-EX – Psychic – HP170
Basic Pokemon

[C][C] Photon Wave: 30 damage. During your opponent’s next turn, any damage done to this Pokemon by attacks is reduced by 30 damage.

[P][P][C][C] Psycho Burn: 120 damage.

Mewtwo-EX – Psychic – HP170
Basic Pokemon

[P] Blast Ball: 30x damage. Does 30 damage times the number of [P] Energy attached to this Pokemon.

[P][P][C] Damage Exchange: Switch the number of damage counters on this Pokemon with your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

I think Mewtwo 2 is the better Mewtwo, but Mewtwo 1's first attack isn't bad.

With the game as it is right now, I would be hard pressed to call any of the EXs from XY8 competitive.

M Mewtwo (Y) is usually going to be swinging for 130-160 (depending on Dimension Valley and DCE), which will KO non-EXs no problem. Compared to other Megas though it's on the lower end in terms of damage output. And with so many Mewtwos in the format we could go back to the days of trading Mewtwos FTW.

MAYBE M Houndoom, but 80/160 isn't going to KO anything without a Muscle Band, and unless you have the right cards in your hand it stands a fairly decent chance of stalling while you re-attach energy. It's even worse when you consider the rise in Regice and AT Articuno, the ability to splash Vaporeon, or the ever-present Seismitoad EX, all of which hit for weakness.

Last edited:
I would vote for both M Mewtwo Ex. M Mewtwo EX Y is much faster and easier to use but can be blocked by modern Safe Guard Pokémon. However, he is much more flexible when it comes to stadium choices. M Mewtwo Ex X is a surprise card and can be rather fast with Mega Turbo and Dimensional Valley. Note that both of them need a Golbat line to ohko. Not too impressed by M Glalie Ex since we are in a ohko format at the moment. However Glalie Ex can be decent as a tech in water decks with Judge in the format.

Echoing what everyone else has said, I'm really not too impressed with any of these. M Houndoom seems somewhat interesting, in that in has obvious synergy with the new Special Fire Energy, and 160 for 2 Energy is not bad at all. I wonder if they're trying to slow the game down a bit.

Back