Discussion Card Battle Ep.1: Trevor VS Brigette VS Pokemon Fan Club

The Poke Tactics

Just a Pokemon fan.
Hello guys, this is me, Dr. Analysis! Hehe! Joking.
By the way, the XY BREAK Through set is coming in November 4 and the one of them is the supporter card, Bridgette. What is the difference between the Pokemon searchers, Trevor, Bridgette, and Fan Club?

Bridgette - it will let you search a EX or 3 Basic Pokemons.
Trevor - it just like a Poke Ball effect but a guaranteed chance.
Pokemon Fan Club - searches 2 Basic Pokemon.

Within these cards, what card do you think will be the best Pokemon searcher.

Just comment what card and explain your reason.

I'll appreciate your comments,guys.

Well, I'd say that the two currently available in Standard are not that amazing. Two Pokemon is fairly lackluster for many decks considering things like Shaymin-EX and Hoopa-EX are available. Trevor taking up your Supporter position isn't overly great, especially considering you just need to discard two cards to get a similar effect. Even then, there often when it would be desired to find a basic Pokemon, which is when Fan Club outclasses. I think Bridgette is going to be much superior than these already mentioned, for stage decks at least. Three Pokemon is often a great number to get two Pokemon to stream attackers and a single support.

Every time I play Fan Club, I'm reminded of Pokémon Collector and am sort of bitter that we don't have that card any more. Bridgette would be better for set up decks, but with Fan Club, you can grab a Shaymin and something else or two Shaymins if you need to. Of course it would be more ideal to play something else like Juniper. I don't really think EX heavy decks should be playing Fan Club over Hoopa EX, especially EX's that Mega evolve; basically, EX's decks should play Hoopa, and others might want to try Bridgette.

All searchers can be useful,if you can tell me which searchers will I use for basic Pokemon,I`ll go for Bridgette. But one of its definition is to search for a EX, It doesn't specify what EX meant for, A normal EX or a Mega one.

All searchers can be useful,if you can tell me which searchers will I use for basic Pokemon,I`ll go for Bridgette. But one of its definition is to search for a EX, It doesn't specify what EX meant for, A normal EX or a Mega one.

It specifies "Basic Pokemon-ex". Not Megas:

Pokebeach([URL='http://www.pokebeach.com/2015/09/red-flash-blue-impact-translations']BI/RF translations[/URL]) said:

Brigette – Trainer
Supporter

Search your deck for 1 Basic Pokemon-EX or up to 3 Basic Pokemon (excluding Pokemon-EX) and put them onto your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Anyway, I'd leave Hoopa to Ultra balls and go for the bronzors w/ Bridgette...

What Mora said. The biggest weakness of Bridgette is that it sends the pokemon to the field, making it so Shaymins ability won't activate.

I can see Bridgette seeing play in stuff like bronzong/variants or toad/bats, but fan club isn't the best card atm we have level ball. If you can find "consistent" bench space for hoopa in bronzong outside of skyfield your attackers are ultra thin and easy to counter, it's not worth the slot in your deck.

What I see is that only trevor can get stage 1 and 2 pokemon. But he only get's one. Bridgette is about even with fan club. However, fan club is more versatile in the sense that you can get 2 EXes or an ex and a regular one. But Bridgette may be better in the sense that you could search out hoopa ex. It all depends on what deck you run.

Pokémon Fan Club seemed somewhat useful post-Shaymin-EX but pre-Hoopa-EX. Now I'm not so sure; on one hand the combo means your Supporter ultimately can snag a lot. Get whatever other Basic Pokémon you want alongside Hoopa-EX, now Bench both and get three more Pokémon-EX, on of which will be Shaymin-EX so you can also draw some cards that same turn. The obvious counterargument is what has been put forth; instead you can just run a different Supporter and use a copy of Ultra Ball (a card most if not all decks should be running in multiples) to think your hand before either grabbing a copy of Shaymin-EX or a copy Hoopa-EX (and then with its effect snag two others plus Shaymin-EX). Still, Pokémon Fan Club being something you can reclaim with VS Seeker might help some really, really Bench heavy decks work a bit better.

I had hoped Trevor would prove worthwhile but as we all know, that hasn't happened. The combination of draw power like Professor Sycamore and like Shaymin-EX provides too much incentive for decks to be built so that they can burn through their own hands with minimal pain, if not for outright advantage and that suits Ultra Ball just fine. This is also why decks that need large infusions of cards for several turns in a row don't just function but seem to be dominant anymore; it is how things actually work! Trevor doesn't have to worry about Item lock... except it kind of does because it doesn't strike me as a Supporter you'd want to run more than two copies of so I'd expect it to be used mostly through VS Seeker (possibly preceded by a Battle Compressor).

Bridgette suffers because the cards it search out are immediately Benched instead of being a choice of Bench or hand. Even if we didn't have cards like Shaymin-EX or Hoopa-EX, this restriction causes some much simpler problems. Full bench? I'm not sure if you are even allowed to play Bridgette even to just "burn" the card. Less than three spots open when you are targeting non-Pokémon-EX? You can still play the card, but for a diminished return. If you added the Pokémon directly to hand or had a choice to play them to the Bench or add them to hand (sometimes putting them into play directly is useful) then you could search out things to act as discard fodder, thin your deck and/or function as "spares" for when your current Bench is full. Not to play CaC; "as is" the card just doesn't do enough in most decks (possibly any competitive deck) to really justify itself over the next best thing(s).

Of course if we start getting more Pokémon that combo well with it, that could change; if you run Unown with Bridgette you can search them from your deck; Bench them and then use their Ability to draw. End result is that your deck is six cards thinner, your discard pile is three Pokémon thinner, you've netted two cards in overall hand size with three actual new cards in hand.

I can see Vespiquen doing well with Bridgette for the reasons Otaku stated - as well as using, say, 2 Battle Compressors, you can then use Bridgette to get 3 Unowns, essentially allowing you to play Tierno + Battle Compressor in one card, while having the potential to search out a Combee too.

Currently my Fav of the 3 is Fan club, mostly due to playing M Gardevoir EX. So kinda biased.
Bridgette is definitely going to see play in decks. Specially now with so many strategies that are non-ex focused.
Trevor is: 1) A promo card from a Battle Arena deck. 2) Just plain slow. Falls to the wayside of steven(a.k.a. not cyrus' conspiracy)

Back