Deck Archetype Yveltal-EX Variants

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Yveltal variants in the Expanded format. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post deck lists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Articles:

Yveltal-EX / Archeops Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 11
  • 2 Yveltal-EX (XY 79)
  • 2 Yveltal (XY 78)
  • 1 Seismitoad-EX (FFI 20)
  • 1 Darkrai-EX (DEX 63)
  • 1 Archeops (NVI 67)
  • 1 Gallade (BRT 84)
  • 1 Jirachi-EX (PLB 60)
  • 1 Shaymin-EX (ROS 77)
  • 1 Keldeo-EX (BCR 49)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 34
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 N
  • 1 Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 3 Dark Patch
  • 3 Battle Compressor
  • 3 Acro Bike
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 1 Computer Search
Energy: 10
  • 6 Darkness Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy

Open Spots: 5

Straight Yveltal Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 12
  • 3 Yveltal-EX (XY 79)
  • 2 Seismitoad-EX (FFI 20)
  • 2 Yveltal (XY 78)
  • 2 Darkrai-EX (DEX 63)
  • 2 Shaymin-EX (ROS 77)
  • 1 Keldeo-EX (BCR 49)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 33
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Colress
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 3 Dark Patch
  • 2 Battle Compressor
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 2 Virbank City Gym
Energy: 11
  • 7 Darkness Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy

Open Spots: 4

MadVillan

Aspiring Trainer
I'm thinking that a list needs at least two Hidden Ball and two Archeops for sake of consistency. Maintenance is a very useful card in limiting hand size, while drawing another card. When in Expanded, you gotta account for the Safegaurd, and baby Yveltal does that o.k. I suppose. I think that a good add to this list would be 1-2 Miltank, but that is just on a quick thought. There could be a better option out there, or baby Yveltal could suffice.

redsky22

Aspiring Trainer
I feel like silent lab to shut of safe guarders would be good because this deck doesn't run any stadiums so if something like virbank gets stuck then your taking three damage per turn and thats never fun. So I'm thinking 1 silent lab to deal with safeguard and 2 shadow circle.

MadVillan

Aspiring Trainer
I feel like silent lab to shut of safe guarders would be good because this deck doesn't run any stadiums so if something like virbank gets stuck then your taking three damage per turn and thats never fun. So I'm thinking 1 silent lab to deal with safeguard and 2 shadow circle.
I think that's the best call against the safegaurd.

I am Team Keldeo for this deck's retreating purposes, rather than Team Darkrai, as you can allow a baby Yveltal to Darkness Blade again if they flip a tails. Maybe it makes sense to include both, but I don't think it's super necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

redsky22

Aspiring Trainer
I think that's the best call against the safegaurd.

I am Team Keldeo for this deck's retreating purposes, rather than Team Darkrai, as you can allow a baby Yveltal to Darkness Blade again if they flip a tails. Maybe it makes sense to include both, but I don't think it's super necessary.

That's true but if you think about it you have to commit 3 darkness energy to baby Yveltal just to attack and If your opponet has somthing a giant cape attatch to their active safe guarder then you have an issue but I do think Yveltal is a good addition to this deck as a back up attacker jut in case. I also forgot that the free retreat get canceled with both Keldeo and Darkrai for the turn you put silent lab in play. Also I think choosing either Keldo or Darkrai is better of course you could run Keldo with darkness energy and cut a float stone but I would rather choose one or the other.

MadVillan

Aspiring Trainer
That's true but if you think about it you have to commit 3 darkness energy to baby Yveltal just to attack and If your opponet has somthing a giant cape attatch to their active safe guarder then you have an issue but I do think Yveltal is a good addition to this deck as a back up attacker jut in case. I also forgot that the free retreat get canceled with both Keldeo and Darkrai for the turn you put silent lab in play. Also I think choosing either Keldo or Darkrai is better of course you could run Keldo with darkness energy and cut a float stone but I would rather choose one or the other.
In the situation you are dealing with a Safeguarder, you either drop the lab and use your Yveltal-EX, or you have powered up a baby and are able to power through regardless of the stadium. I think flipping a heads on Darkness Blade is only a problem if you are facing Regice and are without a Muscle Band.

SilverSilent

Dem Eeveelutions
In the situation you are dealing with a Safeguarder, you either drop the lab and use your Yveltal-EX, or you have powered up a baby and are able to power through regardless of the stadium. I think flipping a heads on Darkness Blade is only a problem if you are facing Regice and are without a Muscle Band.

Or you can just Run Hex Maniac to simply get around that issue. Yveltal's attack takes a fair amount of commitment, that and Silent lab is useless against Bats which would eat this deck alive.

MadVillan

Aspiring Trainer
Or you can just Run Hex Maniac to simply get around that issue. Yveltal's attack takes a fair amount of commitment, that and Silent lab is useless against Bats which would eat this deck alive.
But the point of the deck is that we got the Archeops out ASAP, rendering the bats useless. Hex Maniac would interfere with our own strategy.

SilverSilent

Dem Eeveelutions
But the point of the deck is that we got the Archeops out ASAP, rendering the bats useless. Hex Maniac would interfere with our own strategy.

Hex Maniac would be used when Archeops isn't in play and you're not able to, hence the coverage. Silent lab is still good, but it affects your deck in more ways than one than Hex Maniac will. Silent lab will hurt Jirachi EX, Shaymin EX, Keldeo EX, and Darkrai EX. This is why I believe Hex Maniac is better as it will only be a turn without abilities compared to multiple turns.

redsky22

Aspiring Trainer
Hex Maniac would be used when Archeops isn't in play and you're not able to, hence the coverage. Silent lab is still good, but it affects your deck in more ways than one than Hex Maniac will. Silent lab will hurt Jirachi EX, Shaymin EX, Keldeo EX, and Darkrai EX. This is why I believe Hex Maniac is better as it will only be a turn without abilities compared to multiple turns.

I think silent lab is better than Hex Maniac you seem to think that a bad situation would happen and you couldn't get a shadow circle in to play if that happens then yes your stuck for multiple turns but if you play it right and you have a silent lab in hand sure you lose ability for basic for one turn but then you can get the ko and push the silent lab out of the way the next turn.

SilverSilent

Dem Eeveelutions
I think silent lab is better than Hex Maniac you seem to think that a bad situation would happen and you couldn't get a shadow circle in to play if that happens then yes your stuck for multiple turns but if you play it right and you have a silent lab in hand sure you lose ability for basic for one turn but then you can get the ko and push the silent lab out of the way the next turn.

I can definitely see the benefits of Silent Lab over Hex Maniac, I just personally feel like the benefits don't out weigh the risk. Of course there is no denying it can be a staple of this deck if set up in such a way, but with so many ability tech Pokémon in this skeleton build, Silent Lab is not optimum compared to Hex Maniac. While both can be played before you end your turn (or attack), but as I said Silent Lab could potentially put a damper on your acceleration for more turns. Plus, Hex Maniac if played right will not affect you at all if you play it after you've done what you need for the turn without as many drawbacks.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Did anyone ever have the idea of putting Head Ringer in this deck? This is the list that I have had major success with:

Pokémon:10
Yveltal-EX x3
Yveltal x2
Seismitoad-EX x1
Keldeo-EX x1
Shaymin-EX x1
Darkrai-EX x2

Trainers:39
Dowsing Machine x1
Juniper x3
N x2
Colress x1
Lysandre x1
Hex Maniac x1
Pokémon Fan Club x1
Virbank City Gym x3
Hypnotoxic laser x4
Muscle Band x2
Float Stone x1
Head Ringer x2
Ultra Ball x3
Dark Patch x4
Battle Compressor x1
Trainers' Mail x4
VS Seeker x4
Prof. Letter x1

Energy:11
Double Colorless Energy x4
Dark x7

This list is pretty consistant, and got me many victories on TCG One and a handful IRL.

Kings_Gambit

Aspiring Trainer
Well, Silent Lab may be able to shut them down but it'll affect your pokemon as well. It might be best to run Hex Maniac instead of Silent Lab. :|

ProZlockie

Meow? Meow.
I've ran into the problem of M Mewtwo Y becoming a kind of popular deck where I play. Is there a good way to counter that? I was thinking teching in a X-Ball Mewtwo for it, but am unsure.

Gabking5458

2016 MA TCG Senior Division Regional Champion!
I've started to run a 1 of the BreakPOINT Darkrai-EX. I feel this is really strong if with dark pulse hitting for 100-180 pretty easily. Also Dark Head is fantastic if you run LaserBank. Any other ideas about how the new Darkrai-EX could fit in to Yveltal in Expanded?

Expert_Occultist

Magic card player
Is there any way to hybridize the 2 deck strategies (poison and Maxie's)? I'm sure such a list exists but what does it look like?