Vespiquen Variants

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Vespiquen variants in the Standard format. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post deck lists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Articles:

Wacky Worlds -- Adventures From Boston, Plus a Look At Vileplume!
Wally World - A Look at Stage 1 and Stage 2 Pokemon
New Kids on the Block: New Decks from Ancient Origins

Vespiquen / Vileplume Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 27
  • 4 Vespiquen (AOR 10)
  • 4 Combee (AOR 9)
  • 4 Oddish (AOR 1)
  • 3 Gloom (AOR 2)
  • 3 Vileplume (AOR 3)
  • 4 Shaymin-EX (ROS 77)
  • 4 Unown (AOR 30)
  • 1 Bunnelby (PRC 121)
Trainers: 26
  • 2 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 AZ
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Level Ball
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Battle Compressor
  • 4 Acro Bike
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 4 Forest of Giant Plants
Energy: 4
  • 4 Double Coloress Energy

Open Spots: 3

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Palutena

The Queen
I've been trying out Night March with the deck and I think there's some potential in it. There's some natural synergy between the two where discarding Night Marchers power up Vespiquen as well. Joltik helps out with the M-Ray matchup and removes the need to have Jolteon (Vespiquen's higher HP doesn't matter because they're both getting OHKOed). Night March is also easier to hit higher numbers with, and that helps out against Manectric, which is Vespiquen's worst matchup (Night March needs 10 marchers + Muscle Band to OHKO M Mane, while Vespiquen needs 17 discards + Muscle Band - a tall order). Vespiquen also helps out against Seismitoed, Night March's worst matchup. Finally, Night March removes a reliance on abilities which makes Hex Maniac a cool tech choice for breaking through Aegislash-EX.

FubatPizza

Aspiring Trainer
I run quite a bit of vespiquen, I would definitely add 1 Hex Maniac to the skeleton list.
Also, more of a personal opinion, but I would drop 2 ultra balls, add 4 level balls, and drop 1 shaymin.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
I run quite a bit of vespiquen, I would definitely add 1 Hex Maniac to the skeleton list.
Also, more of a personal opinion, but I would drop 2 ultra balls, add 4 level balls, and drop 1 shaymin.
Do remember that the only way to get out Shaymin-EX, an essential part to this deck, is through Ultra Ball.
Ultra Ball also gets more pokemon into the discard, whereas Level ball only searches for pokemon. It is useful in certain situations, but if you've ever played Flareon before you'd get why this is a much better card.

KoL

Aspiring Trainer
I've seen some players tech Raichu XY in over Jolteon to provide an alternative attacker. I've tried it myself and prefer it over Jolteon for the versatility it offers.

Joseph Redd

Been a Gengar fan since Gen 1.
Just have a quick question about Vespiqueen decks. Is it possible to make a good build that runs only 1 Shaymin-EX? I only own 1 and I really don't want to pay $50 a piece for three more. Any advice?

KoL

Aspiring Trainer
You are a bit more prone to bad hands/topdecks without them, but you can still burn through your deck very quickly without a bunch of them thanks to Sycamore, Birch and the Battle Compressors and get the setup you need.

Shaymin EX helps a lot with consistency but running 3-4 of them isn't absolutely mandatory for this deck. 1-2 I'd say is essential, 3-4 is a bonus if you have them.

Joseph Redd

Been a Gengar fan since Gen 1.
You are a bit more prone to bad hands/topdecks without them, but you can still burn through your deck very quickly without a bunch of them thanks to Sycamore, Birch and the Battle Compressors and get the setup you need.

Shaymin EX helps a lot with consistency but running 3-4 of them isn't absolutely mandatory for this deck. 1-2 I'd say is essential, 3-4 is a bonus if you have them.
I have been testing with 1 Shaymin-EX, 2 Birch, 2 Sycamore ( I run Vespiqueen/Raichu),3 Shauna and 2/4 Compressors/VS Seeker, as well as 4 Unkown and 3 Ultra Ball. I don't have my complete deck list in front of me, but that is pretty much my draw engine. Any advice?

Last edited:

RunningWithScizors

Aspiring Trainer
What are some good "other Pokemon" to put in the 3 vacant slots for Pokemon? Also, with only 3 empty slots for other cards, there doesn't look like there's much room for flexibility in this deck.

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer
I've been using combat blaze entei. It does pretty well with black smith and the low hp non ex decks.

infernape1245

Aspiring Deck-Building Master
I've been working with Hawlucha recently, cuz let's face it, this deck is prone to bad starts, even though I love it to bits haha. Also helps against the Manectric matchup, especially if you've used Hex Maniac the previous turn.

JJBaskette

Aspiring Trainer
What other pokemon can we play in the skeleton, to fill the 4 slots with? I'm only just coming back to standard since a break in August.

ToToLaw

Aspiring Trainer
What other pokemon can we play in the skeleton, to fill the 4 slots with? I'm only just coming back to standard since a break in August.

I guess these following pokemon valid:
Bunnelby (to get the DCE back mainly)
Combat blaze entei (mainly for Aegislash that may totally wall this deck)
Mr. Mime reprint (to protect bench, especially if we got night marchers, 30HP joltik...)
Lugia EX (also use DCE, may hit more than Vespiquen do in early game without the need of good set up)
Seismestoad (to stall opponent while setting up)

Good thing is, if you don't need those pokemon, they are not wasted, compressed to get extra 10 dmg for vespiquen

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
I've been trying a version that uses Raichu XY and Sky Field. Entei from AOR with Combat Blaze is another great choice. Wobbufett and Float Stone can disrupt your opponent while you get set up. Tons of options.

Fokale

Aspiring Trainer
What are some of this decks worse match ups, and how can you tech for them/adjust your play style to make them a bit more winnable. Also does this deck have any auto-losses?

infernape1245

Aspiring Deck-Building Master
What are some of this decks worse match ups, and how can you tech for them/adjust your play style to make them a bit more winnable. Also does this deck have any auto-losses?

Mega Manectric is a bad matchup as it does not hit for weakness and all of your pokemon can be OHKO'd. As for teching, I'm currently testing out Hawlucha; it can still be OHKO'd but it can at least put the math in your favor

ToToLaw

Aspiring Trainer

I will say Aegislash EX is the worst matchup, unless we play blacksmith and/or Entei it's nearly auto loss.

also like infernape1245 said, M Manectric EX is another bad matchup. it can't be OHKO, it freely retreated and heal slowly by rough sea, making we impossible to any prize of no Lysandre on hand.

Crobat line favor the match vs vespiquen, as two Golbat evolution KO a combee already. not all vespiquen deck play FGP stadium, especially the vespiquen/ night marcher version.