Dissapointing 3D Sprites in XY

Team Rocket Fan

Team Rocket Lover and Humble Katy Cat!
So, we all have many favourite pokemon and we all expected the 3D Sprites to be amazing. Most of them ARE amazing but others are just dissapointing. I believe that some of my favourites don't have nice sprites like those.
Persian: My all time fav has a nasty face and really large legs in 3D that make him look ugly.
Raichu: I always thought raichu wasn't orange enough in sprites but now they overdid it. At least its figure is great.
Ninetales: I believe its face should have more work. And definetely just a litttle bit more fur.
Zapdos: Propably my 3rd favourite legendary, Zapdos' face needs more work. It looks wrong.
Miltank: Where's the love to the most annoying pokemon? Miltank always had great sprites. They ruined it by making it so tall and whith a huge nose.
Mightyena: Alright, in the anime I loved her but GameFreak never gave her a great sprite. XY is propably the best but still bad.

Those are the ones that I started to like and maybe even love because of thir awesome 3D Sprites:
Beedrill
Fearow
Sandslash
Golbat
Weezing
Marowak
Slowking
Gardevoir
Nidoqueen
Nidoking
Medicham
Sharpedo
Cammerupt
Salamence
Vespiqueen
Mamoswine
Carnivine
Magnezone
Yanmega
Liligant
Lickitung

Yeah, I find most sprites great but it pains that esspecially Persian didn't get a good 3D.

~Mod note for everyone: Please make sure to explain why you hate/like a Pokemon sprite and avoid making lists of Pokemon with no info. ~scattered mind~

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I hate all the 3d sprites where fire is part of the pokemons body, like:

Charizard (tail and mouth flames)
Ponyta/Rapidash
Magmar/Magmorter
Moltress
Blaziken's fire ribbons

things like that

Personally, I hate all the 3d sprites where fire is part of the pokemons body, like:

Charizard (tail and mouth flames)
Ponyta/Rapidash
Magmar/Magmorter
Moltress
Blaziken's fire ribbons

things like that
Really? I find them really cool. The animation came out better than expected in my opinion, but it's not just MY opinion. Everyone sees things different. Although, Moltres' flames are kind of dissapointing. And Charizard X maybe a little. We can only hope that they will improve some 3Ds in the new generation.

Archeops
archeops.gif

This one is just simply annoying. The way he flaps his wings is so awkward..

Mega Charizard X
charizard-megax.gif

Epic as it is, the fact that he is barely using his wings is weird for me. The last one was too fast and this one is way too slow. Not sure he actually uses them.

I never really liked Lickitung's 3D sprite. It's just how it gyrates it's body and it's tongue also does the same gyrations is just...so awkward to me.

lickitung.gif

I don't really like the 3D "sprites" at all myself. They're awkward. Gimme 2D any day of the week. However, I think the worst ones are the Flying-type Pokémon that are just kind of hovering in the air.

I don't really like the 3D "sprites" at all myself. They're awkward. Gimme 2D any day of the week. However, I think the worst ones are the Flying-type Pokémon that are just kind of hovering in the air.

I was just going to mention that myself. Some of the Flying type sprites are really lazy, they're mainly static models of Pokemon with their wings spread out. It's especially awkward for Xatu and Tropius, since they don't really fly a lot.

xatu.gif

tropius.gif

I was just going to mention that myself. Some of the Flying type sprites are really lazy, they're mainly static models of Pokemon with their wings spread out. It's especially awkward for Xatu and Tropius, since they don't really fly a lot.

xatu.gif
tropius.gif

I think they totally ruined Swellow by giving it that static flying pose as well.

swellow.gif

I think they totally ruined Swellow by giving it that static flying pose as well.

swellow.gif

Yeah, Swellow is one and another is Skarmory.

skarmory.gif

I just mentioned Xatu and Tropius in particular because they don't really fly a lot so having a static gliding pose doesn't make a whole lot of sense, it shows that they gave them that pose out of laziness so they wouldn't have to do a lot of animating.

I just mentioned Xatu and Tropius in particular because they don't really fly a lot so having a static gliding pose doesn't make a whole lot of sense, it shows that they gave them that pose out of laziness so they wouldn't have to do a lot of animating.

I agree, somewhat. I mean for Xatu; a standing pose would've better. Since Xatu stare at the horizon for hours upon hours at end, never blinking...maybe a static image of Xatu standing would've been off-putting since it'd be kind of creepy to see this large bird...just staring at you...endlessly...without blinking or moving.

*shrugs*

Scizor:

scizor.gif

I really like scizor (one of my favorites) but the 3D animation shows him standing awkwardly and too stiff comparing to the old sprites:

Spr_5b_212_m.png
Spr_4d_212_f.png
Spr_4h_212_f.png

I never really liked Lickitung's 3D sprite. It's just how it gyrates it's body and it's tongue also does the same gyrations is just...so awkward to me.

lickitung.gif
Its animation has ALWAYS been that. I agree that they should have updated it, but there's something funny about it.

I totally agree about the flying types that don't move wings. They're pathetic in 3D. Swellow, Xatu Skarmory etc. Although I like others flapping like Fearow, Charizard and Honchkrow.

So many models use the same animations from Pokémon Stadium, which is weird, as the few old animations I DID like got changed, such as Pidgeot.

Lickitung
Growlith
Primeape
Aipom
Cubone
Dugtrio
Drowzee
Doduo
Dodrio
Farfetch'd
Forretress
Furret
Goldeen
Jigglypuff
Miltank
Murkrow
Quagsire
Remoraid
Slowpoke
Slowking
Suicune
Sunflora

All use their Stadium games animations.

Parasect:

Spr_6x_047.png

Look at the old sprites:

Spr_5b_047.png
Spr_3f_047.png
Spr_2c_047.png

The mushroom is red! not pink..
This had led me to think that I encountered a shiny in the first time I saw it in XY before I realized it's just a normal one.

Yeah, the colours are weird in some models due to lighting and the colours are taken from the official artwork more.

597.gif
[Yes, this is a .gif of the sprite. Point taken?]
It really bugs me that Ferroseed doesn't move at all, you know? I enjoyed Ferroseed's spinning in gen 5.

View attachment 9053
[Yes, this is a .gif of the sprite. Point taken?]
It really bugs me that Ferroseed doesn't move at all, you know? I enjoyed Ferroseed's spinning in gen 5.

Well, you look at Ferroseed's design and it made sense for it to move in Gen V, but not in Gen VI. You look at how you encounter Ferroseed; they fall on you from their position of being embedding in the ceiling.

as everyone mentioned here, lots of room for improvement, but for the initial transition of all 649 pokemon with all their forms and all the new ones added going towards 1000 models... I'm okay with what we've got as long as they work on them step by step.

The whole sky-battle-applicable pokemon need to have flying models annoys me too. But I don't see how to fix it without an airborne mechanic that changes whether they're currently in flight or on ground.

But what about all the fully aquatic pokemon? They need to figure out how to put them into a patch of water in any battle-background or something.

I agree, Goldeen floating in the air is too weird. Especially when there is Magikarp which is on the ground.

Back