Cards to Hoard/Preorder Hard for XY8

Empoleon_master

I can stop watching Anime any time I don't want to
What uncommonish cards do you think will be super tradable in XY 8

By this I mean small cards that are uncommon but will be tradable like VS seeker, GPF, or Birch's observations. These are all cards that before they were released preorders for them were like 1-2 dollars a piece and now they're each worth $1-4 a piece and everyone is trading for them to the point where I can't go a tournament or league without hearing at least 3 people ask if anyone has those for trade.
So back to the topic what do you think XY8's version of the above cards will be?

Here are my guesses
Reserve Ticket it's freaking computer search minus the discard on a coin flip I highly expect this card to be a minimum of 2 in most decks to the point where it could be the new vs seeker in terms of there are not enough to go around yet everyone needs 2 in their deck.

Cresselia I believe it could be the new unown (AOR) where it may be a common card but it's super tradable and pretty much everyone needs 4 for at least ONE deck they have. I think it's pretty usefull since it's a bulky free retreater that can take a few early game hits and retreat into whatever you want once a stadium is down.

Brigett super viable in every deck that doesn't use any/many ex pokemon such as vespiquen or insert deck I can't think of here.

Smeargle the pull rate for this card is likely going to be suck but still super useful in decks like Tyrantrum or haxorus where there's 2 energy types it needs on it at all times in order to attack. I easily see this card going for $3-4 a piece as someone somewhere will find a way to break this card and make it so viable to the point where 70% of decks will need it.

Also what do you guys think Mega Mewtwo Y will be worth when it comes out? The cheapest/only preorders I can find for it atm are $20 for the half art and $28 for the full art.

Also ATM I only know of one website that's not called ebay where you can preorder the english cards and not boxes this early, and if anyone has some links to other websites it will be really appreciated.

I'm personally interested in the new Smeargle, it should be a nice way to take advantage of cards that want specific energies for things (ie Shadow Circle and Fairy Garden).

I'd also like to think those not running grass/water/fire would be interested in including a parallel city or two, or at least keeping it in mind. If your opponent is getting way ahead of themselves with a full bench you could definitely pull them back a few turns by restricting them to 3 Pokemon on the bench.

Magnezone might be pretty popular, being essentially diluge blastoise for electric types.

I also want to think that the new Zoroark and Yveltal will be popular, as the first is essentially Keldeo EX ability-wise and if you have anything allowing easy retreats (such as the Zoroark) then Yveltal could be used to block some mega evolutions or stop some sneaky tool stuff.

Sadly there was a ruling for something similar to yveltal about banette ROS vs mega sceptile's ancient trait and the ancient trait wins. I don't really think it will take off that much as the attack does so little for that much energy it's kind of sad. It's more or less something that's so gimmicky I would trade for one of it if some kid at league pulled it and pretty much forget about it until it becomes useful somehow in the future.

I was also thinking about parallell city as being a very good card to have in some decks because with pain roller even with the negative damaging effect you just remove a lot of your opponent's bench in one shot and you're back to normal again.

The thread was more or less about hidden staples in the next set like what will be the next vs seeker etc. (like reserve ticket)

About the zoroark I can see it becoming really good with dark decks, however in the event that people start playing parallell city in nearly every deck which isn't likely they could counter it while kicking themselves and the opponent by killing their own bench to 3.

Magnizone was really obvious so that's why I didn't mention it.

And the last thing I would like to mention right now is Empoleon, the second I see preorders for it I will pretty much put in an order for 8 of them because it's basically going to disrupt so much of the meta game in standard and expanded because with archie's it's going to make every single non-mega deck be able to get that extra 20 damage on every attack they use. But the thing is it can't be targeted because your opponent's main concern should be the EX that's whooping your behind via attacks that are now hitting magic numbers left and right.

Personally I want to try out a 2-2 Octillery line in my XY-on decks. Less of a Lysandre target than Shaymin EX, it's ability is re-usable, and you can always pair it with stadiums like Parallel City or Sky Field + paint roller to discard it if needed.

Here's what I see:

Parallel City:
Beautiful card. Beauty gives it its hype. The fact that it's a beautiful card, has opportunity to be played, and can shut down a few major decks makes it good
Problem is, not only it might be a non-holo rare, but many people will think along the same lines of thought.
Don't preorder this. Wait on TCGPlayer for the prices to lower about a week after release. It's not a shaymin-EX like staple, only situational

Float Stone:
This card was so powerful that it made things like steel and Gengar work. It's price shot sky high originally. People seem to really want this.
Don't buy preorders unless they go for 50 cents or less, and also wait a few days after release. Additionally, be next to kids when they open packs. I'm sure some kids will trade it for cheap under the impression of getting a rock out of a pack. Did I mention the artwork looks awfully like a rock?

Bridgette:
NO
and don't buy. It's not worth your time. It really doesn't help many decks out there. Using it in vespiquen isn't half bad though.

Giovanni:
If you can find it cheap, pick it up
If you find the full art for 4-5 dollars, pick it up.
This card is a very great tech card. Not much more to say

Assault vest:
Go for it.

Holo rares:
Preorder none. They are always inflated at preorder time. AGAIN, wait a few days and check TCGPlayer

Last edited:
Here's what I see:

Parallel City:
Beautiful card. Beauty gives it its hype. The fact that it's a beautiful card, has opportunity to be played, and can shut down a few major decks makes it good
Problem is, not only it might be a non-holo rare, but many people will think along the same lines of thought.
Don't preorder this. Wait on TCGPlayer for the prices to lower about a week after release. It's not a shaymin-EX like staple, only situational

Float Stone:
This card was so powerful that it made things like steel and Gengar work. It's price shot sky high originally. People seem to really want this.
Don't buy preorders, but also wait a few days after release. Also, be next to kids when they open packs. I'm sure some kids will trade it for cheap under the impression of getting a rock out of a pack. Did I mention the artwork looks awfully like a rock?

Bridgette:
NO
and don't buy. It's not worth your time. It really doesn't help many decks out there. Using it in vespiquen isn't half bad though.

Giovanni:
If you can find it cheap, pick it up
If you find the full art for 4-5 dollars, pick it up.
This card is a very great tech card. Not much more to say

Assault vest:
Go for it.

Holo rares:
Preorder none. They are always inflated at preorder time. AGAIN, wait a few days and check TCGPlayer
I've never heard of TCG player, could you link me to it? Also I don't plan on preordering many holos outside of raikou and magnizone + zoroark.

I've got my eye on Magnezone and Raikou. I'm hoping to pull/trade some at the pre-release. If not the pre-realse, then there's gotta be at least 1 or 2 in a booster box, yeah? If all else fails, then I'll buy some singles. I will get them one way or another.

I've never heard of TCG player, could you link me to it? Also I don't plan on preordering many holos outside of raikou and magnizone + zoroark.

TCGPlayer.com
Their preorders are often close to the release date,
but the site's overall prices can be amazing.

Back