Returning Player - New Mechanics, Rule Changes and Top Decks?

NINE x LIVES

Aspiring Trainer
Hey whats up everyone!

First off apologies if this thread is in the wrong place and/or if its been discussed already.

Anyways I decided after a long hiatus I want to return to playing and competing in the Pokemon TCG. Before I left I was big on going to tournaments as well as being active such as deck building/trading/card discussions on quite a few forums. When I left, the big decks were AMU, Dusknoir Spread and my favorite, the Machamp Donk lol.

I know a lot has changed such as the new Dragon attribute, and cards beyond Level X and I was wondering if a few of you can help me understand them a little bit better and/or if theres been any changes to the rules (I read about a certain trainer or supporter that you can have only 1 of in a deck?) as well as maybe the top 3-5 mega decks in the game right now? Anything thing I can research and get an idea of what kind of deck to start building. Any and all help would be appreciated. Help an OG out lmao.

Anyways, looking forward to connecting and trading and everything else with all of you! Happy gaming!

So, to start we'll talk about Pokémon EX's and their Mega Evolutions.

To start Pokémon EX's are basically stronger versions of their regular Pokémon counterpart and do not require an evolution line in order to be played. They are a basic Pokémon in this sense. With this said, basic Pokémon EX's differ than regular basic Pokémon and you should take note that most cards will distinguish which affect them. Now, on top of Pokémon EX's, there are Mega Evolutions of some of them which are obviously stronger versions of the card. With that said, there is a big drawback of Mega Pokémon and that is they require a Spirit Link (if they have one) to evolve and allow you to attack. If you evolve an EX Pokémon without a Spirit Link your turn immediately ends without attacking.

Supporters can only be used once per turn is maybe what they're talking about. The only other card that you can one of in your deck was ASPEC cards and those are not in the standard rotation anymore and can be only played in expanded.

As far as deck wise, there's not really that many Mega Deck as you may think there are. They're not that popular at all because they usually have mediocre attack, huge attack costs, or don't have a Spirit Link to make them work. With that said, M. Manectric EX is most likely the most popular Mega out there right now as it does energy acceleration and works well with a variety of decks. M. Rayquaza EX is another one that is popular and is teamed up with Shaymin EX and Sky Field to deal massive damage on your opponent. A close third I guess would be M. Goudon EX.

Most decks are either consisting of regular EX's or non EX Pokémon. If you go to the Metagame Discussion List (listed in side the TCG Competitive Play Forum) you can view the current tiered deck lists in the current format of expanded and standard (just a tip, standard is consisted of the expansion sets of X/Y and on while expanded is focused on the expansion sets of Black and White onward.)

I hope this helps and good luck!

Back