Speculation Speculation Sunday #1: Changes to the Kalos Region

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
AQXOWQC.png

Welcome to Speculation Sunday
This is a weekly discussion topic where we talk about specific theories, leaks, ideas, and rumors involving the future of Pokemon.

This week, we'll be talking about the Kalos region. What would you like to see change about the region design? What areas do you think could be added? What could be done differently with older areas to change the experience?

Feel free to share your own ideas or comment on other people's ideas. Remember to give detailed responses and explain your choices. And as always, keep the discussion civil.

Also, check out our other daily topics for this week:
Metagame Monday
Teamwork Tuesday
WiFi Wednesday
Theory Thursday
Fun Friday

Last edited by a moderator:

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I feel like we can see changes to the Kalos region almost similar to those from Unova in Black/White 2. Perhaps adding a new area to start in Kalos then Vaniville Town.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I feel like we can see changes to the Kalos region almost similar to those from Unova in Black/White 2. Perhaps adding a new area to start in Kalos then Vaniville Town.

Yeah, I think a new starting town would be a good idea. Maybe one south of Camphrier Town based on Bordeaux.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Yeah, I think a new starting town would be a good idea. Maybe one south of Camphrier Town based on Bordeaux.

Yes like Apsertia City was located to the Southwest (or moreso the West; Southwest from Castelia), a new starting location based in that general direction in France.

So a city/town based off Bordeaux would make sense in this situation.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I also think that the northeast corner of the map is a little bare and they could add something there as well. Possibly they could create a new city based on Brussels there (I've done my research on this). It's not in France, sure, but that hasn't stopped them before (SW Unova includes parts of New Jersey, Sinnoh's Battle Zone is based off an island owned by Russia).

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I also think that the northeast corner of the map is a little bare and they could add something there as well. Possibly they could create a new city based on Brussels there (I've done my research on this). It's not in France, sure, but that hasn't stopped them before (SW Unova includes parts of New Jersey, Sinnoh's Battle Zone is based off an island owned by Russia).

Perhaps with the northeast corner of Kalos could be formed with Perfect Zygarde. Maybe he ends up creating a new passageway from Terminus Cave? And on the other side is a small area; kind of like Kiloude City is tucked away from the rest of Kalos.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Perhaps with the northeast corner of Kalos could be formed with Perfect Zygarde. Maybe he ends up creating a new passageway from Terminus Cave? And on the other side is a small area; kind of like Kiloude City is tucked away from the rest of Kalos.

Terminus Cave will probably just have a hidden chamber behind where Zygarde is caught in XY, like what they did with Kyurem in BW2. I doubt it'll lead to an entirely new city. I was thinking connect it to Rt. 15.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Terminus cave- The cave should be the new center of the game thanks to Zygarde, so we should definitely see it change a bit. More with it's design and less it's actual form. Maybe green sparkling cells scattered all over the place.
Sea Spirit's Den- This place is no longer mystery after X&Y and so revisiting the location should go with a twist. Perhaps we'll be able to find a secret entrance
Southern "empty" area- This area looks like a desert. Since we should see Volcanion this game, it might be a new location with a volcano or something like that.

Here is the Kalos map for references:

Kalos_alt.png

thegrovylekid

Makes fake cards
Why don't they give the game an actual postgame?

Outside of that, I loved X and Y, so I'm not sure what I would change.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member

The Kalos postgame left something to be desired as the only plot-related story was the Looker sidequest.

Also, at the same time it's a rather deep postgame; if you consider competitive training and breeding.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod

You can think about what to add. :)
Maybe a secret cave full of Pichu

Considering there is a lot of gap between Aquacorde town to the Glittering cave, we have a lot of space to speculate about :p

Celever

Wheeeee~
The issue with Kalos is that there isn't really a good way to expand it. It's very restrictive in its design because it's segregated firmly into 3 areas and those areas are all fairly equal size. However, the borders of coastal Kalos are completely suffocated by the ocean to the west and impassable mountains to the east which means that making the region larger would throw the whole place off-balance. This means that I don't think there's any more land left in Kalos itself leading into the next game.

This leaves Game Freak or two main options. The first most obvious option is simply to build upon what they have, maybe play with time; a prequel to XY would be a fun twist -- fledgling towns are always great in RPGs. Alternatively they could go with the tried and tested chronological sequel approach and stick it 5 years in the future again like with B2W2.

The second option which I think would be much more desirable is using planes/boats to fly/boat over to unfound lands in XY, sort of like in B2W2 but to another landmass entirely. The land which the Kalos region's on is sort of satiated, but adding another area to the region's borders from elsewhere would be a really fun addition IMO -- assuming they do it right. It must be incorporated into the story, else it'll be a pointless inclusion.

Considering there is a lot of gap between Aquacorde town to the Glittering cave, we have a lot of space to speculate about :p
The land is clearly too mountainous looking at the map you linked. I don't think they should just squeeze cities into whatever place they can find because it will just seem forced.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
The issue with Kalos is that there isn't really a good way to expand it. It's very restrictive in its design because it's segregated firmly into 3 areas and those areas are all fairly equal size. However, the borders of coastal Kalos are completely suffocated by the ocean to the west and impassable mountains to the east which means that making the region larger would throw the whole place off-balance. This means that I don't think there's any more land left in Kalos itself leading into the next game.

This leaves Game Freak or two main options. The first most obvious option is simply to build upon what they have, maybe play with time; a prequel to XY would be a fun twist -- fledgling towns are always great in RPGs. Alternatively they could go with the tried and tested chronological sequel approach and stick it 5 years in the future again like with B2W2.

The second option which I think would be much more desirable is using planes/boats to fly/boat over to unfound lands in XY, sort of like in B2W2 but to another landmass entirely. The land which the Kalos region's on is sort of satiated, but adding another area to the region's borders from elsewhere would be a really fun addition IMO -- assuming they do it right. It must be incorporated into the story, else it'll be a pointless inclusion.

The land is clearly too mountainous looking at the map you linked. I don't think they should just squeeze cities into whatever place they can find because it will just seem forced.

Pokemon Village is near those mountains. It is said that the Pokemon village is a secret place hidden from men but the village is right there on the map, so what if the real secret place is in those mountains? What if there are no mountains at all and it is all magic to keep people out of there? (hey, it's a speculation thread).

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Pokemon Village is near those mountains. It is said that the Pokemon village is a secret place hidden from men but the village is right there on the map, so what if the real secret place is in those mountains? What if there are no mountains at all and it is all magic to keep people out of there? (hey, it's a speculation thread).

Pokemon Village is on the other side of the mountains; near Snowbelle City. Maybe Glittering Cave could end up getting a secret passage somewhere.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

There's plenty of unused land to the south, Kalos only takes up a little more than half of real world France. There's enough there to create a 4th subregion.

b2VGFBJ.png

Celever

Wheeeee~
There's plenty of unused land to the south, Kalos only takes up a little more than half of real world France. There's enough there to create a 4th subregion.

b2VGFBJ.png
The region is central around Lumiose City. Lumiose is already a little to the north of the centre, so sticking another subregion on the bottom would mess thing up even more. Plus the area is clearly uninhabitable looking at scattered mind's map in the Pokemon World -- it's sheer cliffs and huge mountains all round.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The region is central around Lumiose City. Lumiose is already a little to the north of the centre, so sticking another subregion on the bottom would mess thing up even more.

I don't think that's a big deal. Why does it matter whether or not Lumiose City is dead center of the region?

Plus the area is clearly uninhabitable looking at scattered mind's map in the Pokemon World -- it's sheer cliffs and huge mountains all round.

They could retcon the mountains out and hint that Volcanion destroyed them.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
I don't think that's a big deal. Why does it matter whether or not Lumiose City is dead center of the region?

They could retcon the mountains out and hint that Volcanion destroyed them.

That's actually make sense to me, and it opens a possibility for a huge Volcano, perhaps even created during gameplay which could be .. pretty awesome.