Ruling Tyrantrum EX vs Focus Sash

Empoleon_master

I can stop watching Anime any time I don't want to
me and someone who has been logically citing the compendium for rulings have bee debating on weather or not tyrantrum's ability would allow it to ko a fighting type pokemon that's at full health and has focus sash on it. My argument is that it does go through as making the samage be 10 less than needed for the ko counts as affecting damage. ₽10 says the other person is right but I had to be sure.

http://m.imgur.com/3fzH823,oFKfUZ9

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
Relevant ruling from the Compendium:

Q. If the Pokemon that Focus Sash is attached to is attacked with an attack such as Cobalion EX's "Steel Bullet" that ignores effects on the Defending Pokemon, is it Knocked Out?
A. No. The full damage would be done first, and then afterwards the effect of Focus Sash would reduce the damage counters to leave 10 HP remaining. (Furious Fists FAQ; Aug 28, 2014 TPCi Rules Team)

Tyrantrum EX's Dragon Impact would do its full damage, and then Focus Sash activates. Both effects are applied, just not at the same time.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The reason for this is because Focus Sash doesn't actually affect the damage you do; it's only applied when you check for KOs, after the attack has finished (and where the Ability would take effect).