Moves that Pokémon Should Learn... But They Don't.

Diancie and Power Gem. There is quite literally no excuse that Diancie doesn't get it, and it's not just because the thing is covered head to toe in gems; it's the fact it's lesser counterpart from which it "suddenly transforms" from, Carbink, can actually learn Power Gem unlike Diancie.

Still, why do you need to TEACH Lickitung how to lick?
Actually the level 0 moves are basic skills which the Pokemon know from birth, so what's happening here is the licking is a fundamental skill for the Lickitung family which all can do as soon as they hatch out of their egg.

IDR if this was mentioned before but in Gen II Phanpy could learn Water Gun via breeding. I really loved this nod to how elephants clean themselves and I think it's a real shame that they discontinued the line's access to the move. Giving the line moves like Hydro Pump and Scald would be really fun flavour-wise IMO.

Again, why would you want Growl in the long-term? It's not a long-term viable move.
Following that logic, why would you want a Talonflame to learn any move but Brave bird?

And, because of flavour and that almost every dog gets it...

Raticate doesn't get the Elemental Fangs in the new generations, Dustox should learn Toxic Spikes, Beedrill with Megahorn and seriously...Yanmega should totally learn Fly. The joke passed away in Gen 5 :p

But the PokéDex entries say that it growls at people it doesn't know.
Growl's Japanese name doesn't translate to "growl"; it translates to "cry" or "vocalize", roughly. That's why you see things like Taillow get it, and why Growlithe's Pokedex entry has no bearing on it whatsoever. Besides, we've seen Pokedex entries not reflected in movepools in other cases as well - Yanmega is large and strong enough to carry an adult human in flight, but can't learn Fly.

Last edited:
I think it's a missed opportunity for Jolteon to learn Spikes considering it's covered in them. I mean, if Delibird can use Spikes of all things, I don't get why Jolteon can't.

I think it's a missed opportunity for Jolteon to learn Spikes considering it's covered in them. I mean, if Delibird can use Spikes of all things, I don't get why Jolteon can't.

I think the game refers to them as "pins/needles" like a hedgehog's/porcupine's rather then spikes.

Back