Discussion Tyrantrum EX in Standard XY 8

Empoleon_master

I can stop watching Anime any time I don't want to
I don't know how many of you noticed this card existing but I see it being very easy to use and very good. It has 180 HP is dragon type with a fairy weakness and 3 retreat cost. However it's attack and ability are really interesting and quite viable. The ability basically has any effects that are not weakness or resistance not affect the damage that tyrantrum deals, ie hard charm, latias PLF's ability.
Its attack is what really makes it shine, for 1 fighting 2 metal and one colorless it deals 190 but you have to discard 3 energy attached to it. This obviously makes it uber parable with bronzong and float stone. I don't want to compare everything to drx rayquaza but this is the newest version of drx rayquaza. You have a different type eels, you deal a lot of damage for 4 energy on it which you instantly discard upon attacking, and you get to ko everything that's not called wailord or a mega in one shot.

The deck for this is something I really want to see, here's the UBER thing skeleton, or because it's thinner than a skeleton it's a marrow list. *I'll be in the shame corner now*

Pokemon

3-4 Creselia Break (good starter with decent HP that has free retreat the second you put down a stadium you could also use Halucha to deal damage to exs but you shouldn't be using that much fighting in this deck)
3-4 tyrantrum EX (good luck trading for these as they only come in $20 promo boxes, that JUST came out, your best bet is ebay or something they're like $5.50 or so there from multiple people there was the same isse with Pangoro XY 50)
4-4 bonzor Break (it has 10 more HP than PHF bronzor) bronzong PHF (because it's what the deck relies on)
0-2 smeargle (incase you only have metal left on the field/4 metal on your active tyrantrum and need that fighting energy)
2 shaymin EX because shaymin EX

Trainers/supporters/stadiums

4 battle compressor
1-2 level ball for smeargle and bronzor if you run smeargle
3-4 heavy ball search out bronzong and tyrantrum
2 professor's letter as the fighting energy is super important
4 ultra ball
2-3 switch
4 float stone you need to retreat tyratrum into another powered up one each turn
0-2 muscle band you won't always want the muscle band on tyrantrum but when it goes on it can help with that last 20 hp on megas
2-3 friendly rescue because honestly it's way better than revive and it can get you a bronzong straight into your hand
4 reserve ticket it's a computer search without the discard and on a coin flip how are people not putting 4 of this in their decks already?
4 robo sub because rayquaza would love it just as much as this deck should.
Insert a bunch of trainers I can't remember here

Supporters
2-3 lysandre minimum as you'll be koing whatever you want the second you have enough energy on tyrantrum
Your choice of shuffle and draw supporters as that is already a debate on another thread.

Stadiums
4 faded city this is a 4 of because cresselia needs a stadium to retreat and it not only doesn't harm your pokemon one bit but it also helps you as 20 damage inbetween turns makes tyrantrum deal 210 damage without muscle band.

Energy
6-7 metal energy
2-3 fighting

Because some of you are probably already wtiting half an article long post on how much cresselia sucks and why it should not be used period in this deck let me explain why I am using it in this list.

It is reasonably bulky and gives up 1 prize card and is the PERFECT thing to go in the active position while you set up. The second you play down faded city it gets free retreat and your opponent's active mega starts losing hp every turn. Not only that but if you get two on the field/1 active and 1 robo sub you have the easy opportunity to use metal links on 2 tyrantrums before you have to retreat which is something that ray eels needed desprately as they would only play 1-2 emolga and once it was killed you had to rely on keldeo and float stone to get a ray to bench then active again to power it up.

Edit: here's the only decent picture I could find of it on google.
http://m.imgur.com/DWtcRSG

Let me know what you guys think, I believe this deck could be teir 2-3 easily as it's ray eels + 10 damage and with more retreat and search options.

Last thing, if anyone is THAT worried about not hitting the new magic number of 220-230 a POSSIBLE and likely extremely hard solution to fix the problem without sacrificing the switching power of float stone is to take C4 to the list then fit in archie's ace with Empoleon break as it has your basic pokemon deal 20 extra damage.

Last edited:
No Double Dragon Energy? With that you can theoretically get a Tyrantrum up and running turn 2 with a Bronzong on the bench and 2 attachments.

I like the idea of Faded Town, never thought of that with Tyrantrum but it does make perfect sense. I think this deck really needs something to deal with non-EX attackers, because stuff like Vespiquen is going to get powered up potentially faster than Big T and KO things quickly. So I'd probably run the deck as a Bronzong variant with stuff like Aegislash, Druddigon (FLF) and maybe a Giratina or two.

Last edited:
Giratina would throw the deck off balance horribly but I do like the idea of aegislash, and the druddigon as it's easy to power up with bronzong. As for DDE I don't like the idea of it in the deck especially with the inclusion of other stuff in the deck like aegislash. I really don't want the deck to turn into a metal deck featuring tyrantrum which is what I'm really worried about. The most DDE I would want to play is 3 I guess as it makes sense. I think I didn't want to put it in as it wouldn't go with smeargle somehow?? Ok even I don't know where I was going with not putting it in there.

You dont need to switch. There's a new Eel in town (Eelektross Primal Clash) that can move energy from your bench to your active as many times as you want during your turn.

Ok initially I laughed inside at at the idea of elektross as it's a stage 2 that is not part of the bronzong line. However with the existence of Reserve ticket (XY8's holy grail of trainer cards) it might be worth making it a 1-1-1 line with the middle 1 being rare candy. It is NOT likely to be that good as the bench should always be really freaking full with 2-3 bronzong 1 tyrantrum active 1 bench tyrantrum and 1 back up tyrantrum/smeargle/cresselia. Unless the deck finds space for Sky field (which would make it lose HARD to mega ray) the odds of the elektross coming into play are not good.

How about a fairy garden variant? It's probably more efficient than a stage 2 Pokemon. Double Dragon Energy counts as every type of energy type, It's also fairy when attached to Tyrantrum EX. You should still include 2/3 Float Stone for reliability in case an Aegislash or a Bronzong gets stuck in the active spot. But there shouldn't be much problem switching between Tyrantrum EX, now you can attach another tool card like Muscle Band or Assault Vest.

There's also Hydreigon EX with It's Dragon Road ability. I don't think this is the best option because your bench should be filled with many Bronzong and Tyratrum EX. It is nice as a secondary attacker though because it could easily finish of Pokemon with high HP when you can't reattach the necessary energy to Tyrantrum.

I think Skyla would be a really good addition for this deck. You have many trainers that are important to make it work. I'm not sure about Reserve ticket. My first thought was also ''hey a computer search that relies on coin flip!'' But you have to put it on top of your deck... Which really ruins it when you have to wait a turn.

How about a fairy garden variant? It's probably more efficient than a stage 2 Pokemon. Double Dragon Energy counts as every type of energy type, It's also fairy when attached to Tyrantrum EX. You should still include 2/3 Float Stone for reliability in case an Aegislash or a Bronzong gets stuck in the active spot. But there shouldn't be much problem switching between Tyrantrum EX, now you can attach another tool card like Muscle Band or Assault Vest.

There's also Hydreigon EX with It's Dragon Road ability. I don't think this is the best option because your bench should be filled with many Bronzong and Tyratrum EX. It is nice as a secondary attacker though because it could easily finish of Pokemon with high HP when you can't reattach the necessary energy to Tyrantrum.

I think Skyla would be a really good addition for this deck. You have many trainers that are important to make it work. I'm not sure about Reserve ticket. My first thought was also ''hey a computer search that relies on coin flip!'' But you have to put it on top of your deck... Which really ruins it when you have to wait a turn.
*rereads translation of Reserve ticket*....there is not enough yelling to describe my feelings right now... I do like the idea of fairy garden as a retreat stadium in the event that I'm not playing against a mega deck. Also something to note about faded town is something that only came up on TCGOne, the wording has it so that every mega on the field loses HP, even benched pokemon. As for Aegislash I love the idea but how many should I run? 1 or two? Also Sacred ash or super rod? I'm thinking a sacred ash with a focus on friendly rescue as that is THE perfect card to use in this deck.

Also something I recently realized, Tyrantrum's ability is freaking perfect for this format, it makes the attack basically a 190 damage shred attack that requires a discard of 3 energy. This means the following this will cry openly infront of it as they die...it's basically a wall of "In memoriam"

Regice
Mienshao + focus sash
Aegislash EX
Latias EX PLF (in expanded)
Suiciune PLB (expanded)
Sigylyph (expanded)
Beautifly ROS (seriously though, who plays this?)
Hard charm
Focus sash
Flash Energy (I think, if someone could ask in the ruling forum for me that would be great, wait a second, when did a decent dragon stage 1 become good with jolteon?)
Any Resistance
Any dreams you opponent had of surviving the attack.

*rereads translation of Reserve ticket*....there is not enough yelling to describe my feelings right now... I do like the idea of fairy garden as a retreat stadium in the event that I'm not playing against a mega deck. Also something to note about faded town is something that only came up on TCGOne, the wording has it so that every mega on the field loses HP, even benched pokemon. As for Aegislash I love the idea but how many should I run? 1 or two? Also Sacred ash or super rod? I'm thinking a sacred ash with a focus on friendly rescue as that is THE perfect card to use in this deck.

Also something I recently realized, Tyrantrum's ability is freaking perfect for this format, it makes the attack basically a 190 damage shred attack that requires a discard of 3 energy. This means the following this will cry openly infront of it as they die...it's basically a wall of "In memoriam"

Regice
Mienshao + focus sash
Aegislash EX
Latias EX PLF (in expanded)
Suiciune PLB (expanded)
Sigylyph (expanded)
Beautifly ROS (seriously though, who plays this?)
Hard charm
Focus sash
Flash Energy (I think, if someone could ask in the ruling forum for me that would be great, wait a second, when did a decent dragon stage 1 become good with jolteon?)
Any Resistance
Any dreams you opponent had of surviving the attack.

Wrong on mienshao...

sash applied after damage, so...

other than that, the rest is correct...

edit: Speaking of breakthrough, I believe the new zoroark w/ keldeo-ish ability and a Plasma absol-ish Mind Jack can help this deck significantly. If there's no room for it right now, is there fat that can be cut to make room?

Last edited:
Wrong on mienshao...

sash applied after damage, so...

other than that, the rest is correct...

edit: Speaking of breakthrough, I believe the new zoroark w/ keldeo-ish ability and a Plasma absol-ish Mind Jack can help this deck significantly. If there's no room for it right now, is there fat that can be cut to make room?
I honestly don't think there's any space to find for a stage 1 and DCE or something, it would be harder to pull off than Keldeo float stone back in ray eels back when our rush in pokemon were basic EXs. Also I want a ruling question question put in the ask a professor forum because it technically counts as affecting damage....that and I don't want to be this screwed about Mienshao.

2/3 Friendly Rescue would be a nice inclusion. You can use it with battle compressor early game to get the right Pokemon in your hand. I think neither Super Rod or Sacred Ash are necessary when you have Friendly Rescue.

And yes Tyrantrum's Ability is really brutal. Say bye to Klingklang (PLS) and Pyroar as well.

BTW why would anyone use Eelektross with Golduck Break around?

2/3 Friendly Rescue would be a nice inclusion. You can use it with battle compressor early game to get the right Pokemon in your hand. I think neither Super Rod or Sacred Ash are necessary when you have Friendly Rescue.

And yes Tyrantrum's Ability is really brutal. Say bye to Klingklang (PLS) and Pyroar as well.

BTW why would anyone use Eelektross with Golduck Break around?
Thank you for the addition of pyroar and PLS klang to the in memoriam list.
Also I have to go IRL for a bit so can someone please post in the ask a professor forum what wins, tynratrum EX or focus sash?

I honestly don't think there's any space to find for a stage 1 and DCE or something, it would be harder to pull off than Keldeo float stone back in ray eels back when our rush in pokemon were basic EXs. Also I want a ruling question question put in the ask a professor forum because it technically counts as affecting damage....that and I don't want to be this screwed about Mienshao.

Speaking of ask a professor, will an official ruling do? I don't want to post a new thread when it might already be answered anyway...

From the compendium BW via pokegym:

Compendium BW(Pokegym) said:
Focus Sash (Furious Fists)
Q. If the Pokemon that Focus Sash is attached to is attacked with an attack such as Cobalion EX's "Steel Bullet" that ignores effects on the Defending Pokemon, is it Knocked Out?
A. No. The full damage would be done first, and then afterwards the effect of Focus Sash would reduce the damage counters to leave 10 HP remaining. (Furious Fists FAQ; Aug 28, 2014 TPCi Rules Team)

^ If Cobalion cannot KO focus sashers w/ Steel Bullet's effect nullification capability, then shouldn't the same ruling apply to Tyrantrum's ability that does the same effect nullification?

^ FYI, same goes for G Booster vs. sash...

Last edited:
Speaking of ask a professor, will an official ruling do? I don't want to post a new thread when it might already be answered anyway...

From the compendium BW via pokegym:

^ If Cobalion cannot KO focus sashers w/ Steel Bullet's effect nullification capability, then shouldn't the same ruling apply to Tyrantrum's ability that does the same effect nullification?

^ FYI, same goes for G Booster vs. sash...
Wording is different so the closest old thing would be um Hydregion EX's shred on focus sash? The wording is different which is what still gives me hope.

Wording is different so the closest old thing would be um Hydregion EX's shred on focus sash? The wording is different which is what still gives me hope.

Same goes for Hydreigon-EX as well. In the old case, "defending pokemon" means "active pokemon" in the new case, as the opposing active is the one receiving the attack in almost all cases...

Don't believe me? See this for the definition of Defending pokemon, and compare it to the wording of Hydreigon-EX, which specifically states "Active Pokemon":

Compendium BW(Pokegym) said:
Q. What's the exact definition of "Defending Pokémon"?
A. It is your opponent's Active Pokemon when you are attacking. (Jul 19, 2001 WotC Chat, Q40)

Focus Sash isn't an effect on the Defending Pokemon, it's the effect of a Tool attached to the Defending Pokemon. That's why I don't think those sorts of attacks would go through it.

As you know Tyrantrum EX does 190 damage unaffected by effects on the opponents pokemon such as Pyroar.

Sooooooo lets make a deck design.
  • 4 Tyrantrum EX
  • 4 Bronzor
  • 4 Bronzong
  • 3 Hydregion EX
Tyrantrums can switch between each other on the bench since they attack and toss 3 steel energies then Bronzongs can reload the other one.

Next set makes it stronger with heavy ball since all the pokemon except Bronzor have a retreat of 3.

Muscle band boosts Tyrantrum EX to 210 damage which can kill some megas like manectric in 1 hit.

Aegislash, Pyroar, Beautifly etc cant block his attack because of his ability.

All hail the metal dragons!

Setup
2 Tyrantrum EX to switch between each other for reloading.
2 Bronzongs to place 2 energies per turn 1 from your hand.
2 Hydregion EX to give tyrantrum a free retreat.

The stadium should be sky field so you can have another bronzong.

As you know Tyrantrum EX does 190 damage unaffected by effects on the opponents pokemon such as Pyroar.

Sooooooo lets make a deck design.
  • 4 Tyrantrum EX
  • 4 Bronzor
  • 4 Bronzong
  • 3 Hydregion EX
Tyrantrums can switch between each other on the bench since they attack and toss 3 steel energies then Bronzongs can reload the other one.

Next set makes it stronger with heavy ball since all the pokemon except Bronzor have a retreat of 3.

Muscle band boosts Tyrantrum EX to 210 damage which can kill some megas like manectric in 1 hit.

Aegislash, Pyroar, Beautifly etc cant block his attack because of his ability.

All hail the metal dragons!

Setup
2 Tyrantrum EX to switch between each other for reloading.
2 Bronzongs to place 2 energies per turn 1 from your hand.
2 Hydregion EX to give tyrantrum a free retreat.

The stadium should be sky field so you can have another bronzong.
While I do like the idea of using sky field in this deck (ray eels' biggest problem was that the bench got filled up in 2-3 turns easily) and I like the idea of Hydregion it's simply not that viable in a deck that has pokemon fighting for bench space like a pack of starved rats will fight eachother for food even with sky field. This is because you have to remember that you're already running cresselia and shaymin EX and 999% of the time you'll play all 3 in one game. Also as for sky field vs faded city and muscle band I still say play at least 2-3 faded city as you need the retreat for cresselia and the easy damage on things like mega rayquaza. Muscle band is only preferred over float stone and faded city when you ummm can't sacrifice 3 or so pokemon when changing from sky field to faded city? I'm sorry but float stone is so much better in this case when used with faded city because you just hit the magic numbers so easily with FD (faded city), because as long as it's been in play even only during the transition from your turn to your opponent's that's 20 damage on EVERY mega pokemon on the field and not just your opponents active pokemon.

Back