Discussion How Will They Break This Card? Smeargle XY8 in Expanded

Ok, if not for ray with dragon burst do you guys think it could be used with blastoise/archie for any other type that doesn't have a blastoiseish thing going for it like grass?

Well, to be honest, everything has some sort of accelerator/manipulator, in Expanded at least. Fire has Emboar, Water has Blastoise, Grass has Sceptile PRC, Dark has Hydreigon, Dark Patch and Yveltal XY; Fighting has Landorus FuF + other similar attackers, Electric had Eels, Fairy has Aromatisse, Metal has Bronzong and Psychic has Gardevoir NXD. When you consider all of that, it often is better to go with the specific accelerator/manipulator instead of Blastoise/Archie/Smeargle, which is likely less consistent.

Well, to be honest, everything has some sort of accelerator/manipulator, in Expanded at least. Fire has Emboar, Water has Blastoise, Grass has Sceptile PRC, Dark has Hydreigon, Dark Patch and Yveltal XY; Fighting has Landorus FuF + other similar attackers, Electric had Eels, Fairy has Aromatisse, Metal has Bronzong and Psychic has Gardevoir NXD. When you consider all of that, it often is better to go with the specific accelerator/manipulator instead of Blastoise/Archie/Smeargle, which is likely less consistent.
I honestly think that for some types like psychic blastoise archie smeargle is more viable than things like gardevior NXD as it's easier to get out as there's no worrying about something surviving then evolving via rare candy. With archie/stoise/smeargle (ABS archie, blastoise, smeargle LOL) you just have to get out your main attacker, 3 or so desired energy you want to actually use, 3-4 smeargle via level ball etc, archie as your one card in the hand and 3-4 water energy and boom you can say power up insert thing here that requires a lot of energy but would be good otherwise.

I think Smeargle is only good when you run dual energy. If you are running a single energy, I'd recommend sticking with the designed type accelerator.

We're talking about XY8 right? Wouldn't it be easier to Rare Candy into Magnezone and just drop as many Lightning as you want than have to rely on 3 basics, an extra energy type and Archie?

We're talking about XY8 right? Wouldn't it be easier to Rare Candy into Magnezone and just drop as many Lightning as you want than have to rely on 3 basics, an extra energy type and Archie?
Ehhh, considering this is the format where 70% of the time the basic you're trying to evolve into the desired stage 2 gets killed as soon as you put it up unless you put down more than one of the basic figuring out a way around those lysandre kos that leave you back at square one was kind of needed I thought.

play two Magnemite. Run at least a 2-1-2 with candy, maybe 3-1-3. Still seems more plausible to pull off on the deck's second turn than 3 surviving smeargle and blastoise etc in the same format.

Back